Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
What's the wi-fi speed like? Fast?
It is very fast at the moment- however two caveats:
1) The hotel is still in startup phase and thus not very busy at all- not even all the floors are open yet- so it will be difficult to know until the hotel is very busy how the speed of internet will be

2) I am not sure if they throttle at a certain point- however transferring files over secure vpn and using skype for video-conferencing at the same time worked without a hitch- which is usually a combination good enough to shut most hotel connections down- if there is a limit after which they throttle of course that will considerably slow down the speed for some users (which I really hope they do).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
BTW, I walked over the Four Points and decided to redirect that stay later this week to the LM. The four points looks nice enough, and I'm sure they treat plats nicely there from reading its thread, but at the end of the day, it's still a four points. I'm sure for a lot of people it's a good choice and it's certainly IMO a better choice for plats than the Aloft.
If you haven't been, check out the pool/rooftop bar at 4P. Very nice. We had a FT meetup there one evening earlier this year.

Originally Posted by uclasfo
How far is the walk between Four Points and Aloft?
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
From Soi 11 to Soi 15- so two blocks and a half considering also the location on the sois of both the Four Points and the aloft.
Yes, but don't be deceived. The Suk sidewalk between sois 15 and 11 becomes increasingly full of vendors as the day wears on, making navigating them increasingly slow and difficult. By the time that evening rolls around, the Suk sidewalk will be packed with vendors, -- in that stretch, it's entirely possible that there won't be even one inch unoccupied. Your time on this walk will increase accordingly. You can probably do it in the early morning in 10 minutes. At least double that in the early evening.

I had to book a stay for two people for one weeknight this week including breakfast and internet this week for a spg gold member in BKK and spg.com yielded the following results (cash only- with cash and points something else could be worked out): 2611 bht + taxes+ service charges for the aloft vs. 5900+taxes+service charges for the SGS (best available rates for both properties). It is quite a large difference.
Many hotels have special pricing now due to the tourism dopoff resulting from the floods. Just checked SPG.com for one night at SGS, Saturday night, 14 January. Came up at 4,899++ for non-smoking, king bedded room including breakfast and internet.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Dec 27, 2011 at 2:12 am
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you haven't been, check out the pool/rooftop bar at 4P. Very nice. We had a FT meetup there one evening earlier this year.

Yes, but don't be deceived. The Suk sidewalk between sois 15 and 11 becomes increasingly full of vendors as the day wears on, making navigating them increasingly slow and difficult. By the time that evening rolls around, the Suk sidewalk will be packed with vendors, -- in that stretch, it's entirely possible that there won't be even one inch unoccupied. Your time on this walk will increase accordingly. You can probably do it in the early morning in 10 minutes. At least double that in the early evening.

Many hotels have special pricing now due to the tourism dopoff resulting from the floods. Just checked SPG.com for one night at SGS, Saturday night, 14 January. Came up at 4,899++ for non-smoking, king bedded room including breakfast and internet.
Good point on weekend pricing. Weekday pricing not so great. The specials at SGS when available are very good. 4899 including bfast/internet for two people non-platinum member is the best rate I have seen at the SGS for many many years. Back to the topic of Aloft- it is a very nice property with good staff, great location (for some), and despite my initial fears (sound) very good soundproofing. For work or pleasure it is a good recommendation, particularly for the non-platinum SPG member.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in the world which has 4 SPG properties so close to each other ie less than 5 mins walk from each other (SGS, Westin, 4points, aloft). My preference is Westin when the company pays and 4 points if I pay but the aloft sounds interesting, and slightly closer to Nana which is a plus.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by john11111111111
I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in the world which has 4 SPG properties so close to each other ie less than 5 mins walk from each other (SGS, Westin, 4points, aloft).
manhattan has w times square, westin, sheraton, element, 4 points, manhattan times square & a couple of others that are extremely close to each other....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:17 am

LIH Prem,

Thanks.
From Soi 11 to Soi 15- so two blocks and a half considering also the location on the sois of both the Four Points and the aloft.
Here's a google map with the areas SPG properties ...

http://g.co/maps/zhz4h
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
Platinum Treatment = 0

I just stayed here on 30.12 for one night. It is a modern hotel - not quite up to the style of a real W. No Platinum recognition at all - no room upgrade, no free breakfast like in other Thai hotels, 2 drink coupons (but even Gold are getting these). No reason to stay at this hotel. The bar was empty. Breakfast was 470 baht for a very bad selection. This hotel is great for young people (up to 25 or so) as it is cheap and offers a great value. For Platinum member go somewhere else.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Did 4P followed by Aloft - and honestly, while I like the Aloft quite a lot, there are few reasons to stay there when the 4P is a similar price and gives so much more - both in terms of Plat and generally (bigger standard rooms, better bathrooms and ameneties, more luggage space). Also the Aloft seem not to give bathroom ameneties for two.

Aloft does have a funkier location and the (unadvertised) free printing has been useful.

If you ask nicely, the hotel will lay on its tuk-tuk to ferry you between them

Originally Posted by john11111111111
the aloft sounds interesting, and slightly closer to Nana which is a plus.
I'm not sure there's a huge amount of difference between 4P-Asok and Aloft-Nana. It's quite a trek down Soi 11 to the Aloft, whereas the 4P is close to the main road.

Originally Posted by UA 100K
No Platinum recognition at all - no room upgrade, no free breakfast like in other Thai hotels, 2 drink coupons (but even Gold are getting these).
I note that the new platinum key card holders now specifically say no upgrades at Aloft (and Element) properties in the small print.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:29 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA 100K
I just stayed here on 30.12 for one night. It is a modern hotel - not quite up to the style of a real W. No Platinum recognition at all - no room upgrade, no free breakfast like in other Thai hotels, 2 drink coupons (but even Gold are getting these). No reason to stay at this hotel. The bar was empty. Breakfast was 470 baht for a very bad selection. This hotel is great for young people (up to 25 or so) as it is cheap and offers a great value. For Platinum member go somewhere else.
Given there are little benefits as a Platinum, I will not stay there.

I am eagerly awaiting the opening of the new W later in the year, I do hope they give Platinums similar above and beyond treatment like they do in their sister properties! Wishing for minimum Fantastic Suite upgrade + breaky in The Kitcken + happy hour drinks in The Living Room This will be my first hotel choice in BKK if this eventuates
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, CX DM, A3 Gold
As a Plat, I'd choose this spanking new and energetic property over Four Points. It's not fair to compare this to properties which are several times more expensive and expect the same benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ginkoka
As a Plat, I'd choose this spanking new and energetic property over Four Points. It's not fair to compare this to properties which are several times more expensive and expect the same benefits.
The Four Points is about $10 USD more expensive. This gets a possible suite upgrade, breakfast, and a happy hour. Well worth the $10 price premium.

None of the Bangkok properties is "several" times more expensive other than the St Regis. Plaza Athenee, LM, ROS, and Westin are all in the 3000 to 3500 THB range if you book them at the right time. SGS can be had for less than 4K THB.

Last edited by holtju2; Jan 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I stayed here 12/31 (as my Gold qualifying stay for the 2012 year). I'd stay here over the 4P, given that I don't get free Internet or suites as a Platinum. Nice inifinity pool, the free drinks (in morning in cafe, night in bar) were a nice touch, the street cafes and nightlife made it a jumping area, the room was comfy if not fantastically luxurious. I could see why a Platinum or someone looking for a more upscale experience wouldn't go for this, though: the decor basically looks like a bunch of old school colored iMacs threw up and it really is pitched at 20-something Westerners in Bangkok on holiday.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ginkoka
As a Plat, I'd choose this spanking new and energetic property over Four Points.
Why?

I like them both but as I said above, in a direct comparison I think the 4P has a lot going for it even without Plat (though I take the point about free internet made upthread). They were both 2500 when I booked.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
ALOFT most bad ( at least for platnums )

I should have readed this thread bevore booking.
But I not had so much time over the last 2 weeks.
So we got punished.
In anything the Aloft is the most bad location for SPG platinums.
Almost no benefits.
** NO roomupgrade
** NO Lounge
** NO free ABF

** Rooms very small ( I think them calculated 30 sqm including all walls, the net bedroom is 4,5 * 3,5 = aprox 15 sqm, and the bathroom incl. entrance another 4,5 * 2,2 m = 10 Sqm ( from which 3 sqm entrance not useable.
Difficult to fit a babycot and strauller inside room in the same time.

However if I calculate the cheapest rate 2.111 ++ them offer, and add ( 2 * 500++ ) for ABF, we can get much better, as PA or LM, and there we get upgraded 95-100 % into a suite.

*** result, frst and last time we stayed here ( until them change policy )
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Thumbs up from me

Seems like there is a general consistency in the reviews, but different values placed on what is there and what is not.

A lot of the problems people had with Aloft seem to be with limited perks for platinum. This should not be a disappointment and people need to have the correct expectations. They do not have a lounge, no free breakfast and there are no suite upgrades - if these are not important to your stay then I think the Aloft is a great option. If I was denied something I was entitled to then I woudl be frustrated. But at the Aloft, these are not available and it is not really a big deal to me.

I like the room. It is small, but not meant for more than 2. It was great for me and the wife. It is modern in a W sort of way and that is not everyone's taste.

The staff were friendly and helpful

The location is another option in Bangkok, and I was happy to stay on Soi 11.

Some days I want/need a suite and I would book the LM or SGS in those instances. But other than that, this is a good option for me at a lower pricepoint then PA, LM, Westin and SGS. Also, the lack of breakfast in Thailand is not a deal breaker to me. To value breakfast at 500++ just because that is the price a hotel charges seems silly. Unless you end up paying that price, breakfast is really worth a lot less. I will gladly save my appetite for delicious thai food at reasonable prices elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.