MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
There must be something special about Canadians because nearly half the posters here have referral links in their signature..
Well, it might be a Canadian thing, after all this is "MILESBUZZ! CANADA"
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Is there a minimum spend requirement on this card, or do the 30k points credit to your account upon approval?

Also, can you only use the points to book flights, or can you use them for hotels, etc. do you have to use them while booking, or can they be applied as reimbursements after you've used e card to pay for the expenses? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is there a minimum spend requirement on this card, or do the 30k points credit to your account upon approval?

Also, can you only use the points to book flights, or can you use them for hotels, etc. do you have to use them while booking, or can they be applied as reimbursements after you've used e card to pay for the expenses? Thanks for your help!
Preacher, are you referring to the AMEX Aeroplan Plus Gold card? If yes, then it is 20K promo Aeroplan points if you sign up at AMEX directly, or 30K if you use a referral link (see my sig). $0 First Year Fees were introduced in this promo on Sep 2, 2013. You need to spend $500 in 3 months. Points will post to your Aeroplan account only after you've spent $500, and then they will appear at your next bill statement date.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Air Miles, Aeroplan, MR
If he's referring to the BMO MC WE then I don't believe there is a minimum spend - the points will be credited after FIRST transaction based on what I saw with my account earlier this month but there is no minimum dollar amount....I imagine even a coffee at Tim Hortons on the card will suffice. I believe you can use them for any travel-related transactions through their travel booking service (which I believe includes hotels and maybe car rentals?) but I'm not sure about timing of points usage, etc.

I got the card because I have a couple trips coming up and the Out of Country Medical/Emergency coverage, trip cancellation, and 4 priority pass passes will come in handy (even if I had to pay the $150 fee which we now don't in the first year).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 92redragtop
If he's referring to the BMO MC WE then I don't believe there is a minimum spend - the points will be credited after FIRST transaction based on what I saw with my account earlier this month but there is no minimum dollar amount....I imagine even a coffee at Tim Hortons on the card will suffice. I believe you can use them for any travel-related transactions through their travel booking service (which I believe includes hotels and maybe car rentals?) but I'm not sure about timing of points usage, etc.

I got the card because I have a couple trips coming up and the Out of Country Medical/Emergency coverage, trip cancellation, and 4 priority pass passes will come in handy (even if I had to pay the $150 fee which we now don't in the first year).
Ahhh...I see. I saw 30K and thought it was related to the AP Gold promo. Didn't realize the BMO WE was also 30K points => $300.

How good is the trip cancellation insurance on the BMO WE? Is it for trip interruptions only, or for actual cancellation?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:07 am

You should clarify what CARD you are asking

There are dedicated threads for AMEX and BMO cards too
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ex-canada.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...astercard.html
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Ahhh...I see. I saw 30K and thought it was related to the AP Gold promo. Didn't realize the BMO WE was also 30K points => $300.

How good is the trip cancellation insurance on the BMO WE? Is it for trip interruptions only, or for actual cancellation?
It is cancellation insurance just like you'd buy driectly brom BMO or RBC or CAA Insurance for example except for the dollar limit which you can specify when purchasing separate travel insurance from the 3 parties above. Coverage is up to $2,500 per person or $5,000 per account (so 2 travellers) which I believe may be the same as the Amex Platinum Card coverage.

Very few cards have this feature but most premium travel cards have the interruption/lost-delayed baggage type insurance (including the BMO card). CIBC Infinite AE and RBC Infinite Avion do not have cancellation insurance.

The Out of Country Medical/Emergency (and legal assistance, etc) coverage also do not require that you charge the trip to your card (but the cancellation/interruption insurance does).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I am sorry about not clarifying which card I was referring to. It was the BMO MC. I just read through the thread on it, and couldn't see anywhere where it said if this card has forex fees? Anyone know? Thanks again for your help.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:30 pm

I am sorry about not clarifying which card I was referring to. It was the BMO MC. I just read through the thread on it, and couldn't see anywhere where it said if this card has forex fees? Anyone know? Thanks again for your help.
Yes, it does have forex fees. The only cards that don't are Chase bank CCs (like Amazon and Marriott Visas).

It's still a great card, though. I used two of my Priority Pass lounge passes this past weekend...came in handy!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
It is cancellation insurance just like you'd buy driectly brom BMO or RBC or CAA Insurance for example except for the dollar limit which you can specify when purchasing separate travel insurance from the 3 parties above. Coverage is up to $2,500 per person or $5,000 per account (so 2 travellers) which I believe may be the same as the Amex Platinum Card coverage.

Very few cards have this feature but most premium travel cards have the interruption/lost-delayed baggage type insurance (including the BMO card). CIBC Infinite AE and RBC Infinite Avion do not have cancellation insurance.

The Out of Country Medical/Emergency (and legal assistance, etc) coverage also do not require that you charge the trip to your card (but the cancellation/interruption insurance does).
In fact RBC Avion (both Platinum & Infinite) have the Trip Cancellation Insurance now...!!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sunnyzip
In fact RBC Avion (both Platinum & Infinite) have the Trip Cancellation Insurance now...!!
That's great....wasn't included when I was looking at this card previously.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
That's great....wasn't included when I was looking at this card previously.
ya..just started start of this month...both Trip Interruption & Trip cancellation now included.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Air Miles: Western Canada

Okay, it's not fabulous, but here's an offer that doesn't involve credit card signups (!!!)

From September 26 - 29, earn 10 bonus Air Miles (that's about $1 value) when spending at select Air Miles Cash Sponsors (that includes Rona and Shell). Limit one bonus transaction per day. Western Canada only.

So if you have 2 Air Miles cards in your household, you could earn $1 worth of Air Miles on each card, per day. So there's that.

Terms & conditions here
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:21 pm

or redeem Air Miles Cash 95 miles for $10, and earn 25 miles back

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Splash?splashId=18400098

This weekend only, get the most out of your AIR MILES reward miles.
Earn 25 Bonus reward miles when you redeem at select AIR MILES Cash Sponsors.*
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Okay, it's not fabulous, but here's an offer that doesn't involve credit card signups (!!!)

From September 26 - 29, earn 10 bonus Air Miles (that's about $1 value) when spending at select Air Miles Cash Sponsors (that includes Rona and Shell). Limit one bonus transaction per day. Western Canada only.

So if you have 2 Air Miles cards in your household, you could earn $1 worth of Air Miles on each card, per day. So there's that.

Terms & conditions here
Every mile counts....thanks..!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.