MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I have an Amex gold. To get the bonus on a second one, do I need to close the first one, and if so, how long should I wait to apply after closing? Also, if I have an Amex biz gold, close the Amex gold, will I lose the mr points associated with my personal card, or will I keep them because i have another mr card, the biz gold, active? Thx for your help!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I have an Amex gold. To get the bonus on a second one, do I need to close the first one, and if so, how long should I wait to apply after closing? Also, if I have an Amex biz gold, close the Amex gold, will I lose the mr points associated with my personal card, or will I keep them because i have another mr card, the biz gold, active? Thx for your help!
I haven't heard of anyone holding 2 Personal GOLD concurrently (vs. I know people have 2 CIBC Aerogold concurrently)

I personally would cancel, and re-apply after 3 months (or 6 months)
or alternate between Personal Gold and Biz Gold

You need at least ONE AMEX MR card active to not lose your AMEX MR account, unless you want to transfer all out every time. Keep that in mind

There's no rush really, I'm sure the 25K Welcome bonus is here to stay
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:01 pm

I am considering applying for Biz Gold so I can cancel my Personal Gold (and reapply 6-12 months later) but keep my MRs alive. What qualifies as a 'business'? I sell stuff on ebay, so I am wondering if that would be legit - or is there a minimum requirement for business spending/profits? Does the company have to be registered to pay taxes, have a minimum amount of employees, etc. to qualify? Also, is it okay to apply in your own name, or do you have to apply with a business name?

Last edited by pokee; Sep 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pokee
I am considering applying for Biz Gold so I can cancel my Personal Gold (and reapply 6-12 months later) but keep my MRs alive. What qualifies as a 'business'? I sell stuff on ebay, so I am wondering if that would be legit - or is there a minimum requirement for business spending/profits? Does the company have to be registered to pay taxes, have a minimum amount of employees, etc. to qualify? Also, is it okay to apply in your own name, or do you have to apply with a business name?
I just used the name of a pet project as my business. No, you don't need to show business registration. It's still a personal credit card account under the same person's name.

More good discussion on this topic at
Churning Amex in Canada forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-32.html#468
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
I just used the name of a pet project as my business. No, you don't need to show business registration. It's still a personal credit card account under the same person's name.

More good discussion on this topic at
Churning Amex in Canada forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-32.html#468
Just so everyone is aware, the Amex Gold Biz application does ask for "Legal Business name (registered)" on the app. I applied and got a 'conditional' acceptance based on verifying the information I provided. Since I only provided my name, address, my personal income and business name, I suspect it's my business that they'll be attempting to verify. Anyone had this same response to their biz Gold app?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
When I applied for the Biz Gold last year I listed my employers name, which happens to be the federal government. I was conditionally approved and called in to the CSR who asked me if I was the owner of the Department of XXXX. I said no, I wish, just a lowely public servant who wants to use the card to keep my work expenses separate from my personal cards. He didn't ask anymore questions and approved the application.
But like always, YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Just so everyone is aware, the Amex Gold Biz application does ask for "Legal Business name (registered)" on the app. I applied and got a 'conditional' acceptance based on verifying the information I provided. Since I only provided my name, address, my personal income and business name, I suspect it's my business that they'll be attempting to verify. Anyone had this same response to their biz Gold app?
I was approved for a VISA business card and under business name I just put my own name. If questioned I would have told them I was self employed, but it was approved without question. They sent me the application so I figure they wanted me to apply!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Cruban
When I applied for the Biz Gold last year I listed my employers name, which happens to be the federal government. I was conditionally approved and called in to the CSR who asked me if I was the owner of the Department of XXXX. I said no, I wish, just a lowely public servant who wants to use the card to keep my work expenses separate from my personal cards. He didn't ask anymore questions and approved the application.
But like always, YMMV.
Yeah, I am wondering if I should just call in and get it over with. This happened to me with my SPG Amex where I waited and waited after being conditionally approved online, and then called in and it was just approved over the phone after verifying some lame info.

edit: Just called CSR and found out that my application was approved this morning. Same sort of thing as happened with my SPG. Oh well - looks like this was not a problem, so all good in the land of Amex again!

Last edited by pokee; Sep 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:57 pm

Alaska Airlines Credit Card upgrade

There is a letter going out from MBNA to specific customers to upgrade their Alaska Airlines CC to World Elite. This is a targeted mailing according the MBNA Customer Service that meet certain income limits.

It includes 10,000 Alaska Airlines miles and additional benefits to the card. There is no increase in annual fees. If you either have a combined income of $120,000 or a high single income, can't remember the figure, either call their Customer Service number or log onto the MBNA website, add your cc to your profile and click on rewards. If the World Elite banner does not drop down, you will need to call to determine if you qualify.

I had one card approved but my second card wasn't until I spoke with the rep who updated my income information. My wife did not receive the upgrade until she spoke with them about our combined income.

Good Luck

Last edited by sailingman22; Sep 6, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reason: info
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

AB, SK, NWT only: 5000 Aeroplan: Rexall prescription

(Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT only)

Transfer an existing prescription to Rexall: earn 3,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles.
Refill the transferred prescription: 2,000 more Bonus Aeroplan Miles.

Expires this week: Saturday, September 14.

http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...?cid=000539319

Found at: http://www.canadiantravelhacking.com...-prescription/
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Best Western MasterCard: $200 in gift cards

EDIT: This link expired in late November. Sorry.

Best Western Rewards MasterCard promo has returned!

Minimum spend: $1,000 by November 30.

Best Western Rewards convert to gift cards at a good rate: 6500 points gets you $25 gift cards at commonly used locations, including gas and Walmart. Here's the sweet spot: If your total spend reaches just $1,334, you'll have earned a total of 52,000 points, which is enough to get $200 worth of gift cards.

This is a very good promo for a card with no annual fee.

More discussion at Canadian Kilometers blog

MBNA website offer: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCa...=CPYG&lc=en_CA

Last edited by jerry305; Nov 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Canadian RBC Avios Visa Infinite: 45,000 Signup bonus

Apply today and receive 15,000 Avios upon approval.
Plus, for a limited time, get an extra 30,000 Avios if you spend $3,000 in each of the first 3 months using your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card.
That adds up to 45,000 Avios to help you get to your dream destination faster!

Annual fee is $165. The first year fee is not waived.

LINK: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/camp/ba/1303/

More at this thread: Canadian RBC Avios Visa Infinite - 45,000 Signup bonus
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Apply today and receive 15,000 Avios upon approval.
Plus, for a limited time, get an extra 30,000 Avios if you spend $3,000 in each of the first 3 months using your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card.
That adds up to 45,000 Avios to help you get to your dream destination faster!

Annual fee is $165. The first year fee is not waived.

LINK: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/camp/ba/1303/

More at this thread: Canadian RBC Avios Visa Infinite - 45,000 Signup bonus
I took advantage of this the last time it was offered, 50k with $5k spending over 3 months (I think), but this is too much spend IMO.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Coolers
I took advantage of this the last time it was offered, 50k with $5k spending over 3 months (I think), but this is too much spend IMO.
Yeah, I did this with the BA Visa to get the 50k and it was really, really challenging to get $5k in 3 months even with Xmas coming.

I am currently getting ready to spend $3k in 3 months with my new Biz Amex and that will prove to be challenging enough - esp. since my Amex cannot be used everywhere I spend.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: US CP, AA G, CX G, SPG G, IHG G, Marriott Silver
Yeah, I did this with the BA Visa to get the 50k and it was really, really challenging to get $5k in 3 months even with Xmas coming.

I am currently getting ready to spend $3k in 3 months with my new Biz Amex and that will prove to be challenging enough - esp. since my Amex cannot be used everywhere I spend.

It is tough to spend 9K in 3 month as have to fulfill 3k for AMEX gold biz, even more difficult as I plan to apply extra RBC BA CC for my wife.

At the end of the day, fact in $165 fee 3% paypal cost to manufacture these 54k (45k+9k) avios points, return is not great: (165+270)/54k=0.8 cpm, cheaper then buy avios, but worse then AMEX plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.