Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:58 am

Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:34 pm

Status isn't worth much. I really wouldn't recommend spending money for it.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Perhaps a reminder is in order: A post is not a text and clarity is important.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by kaka
in short, i've got 5 nights in 2 seperate RCs in japan since beginning of year(could have been more, but RC osaka was rather disappointing), totalling close to 3000USD (it's 10MR/USD, right?) and have more coming up in april. looking into a quick status for some el cheapo 8-hr stay in more basic marriott brands.

As suggested, I've called the MR line and got stung saying they cant do anything wrt rates since i'm a basic. just wondering what i can do for some 50USD/award stays when the rest of my room-nights are averaging over 400USD!
What are you talking about, Willis?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:10 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
The Marriott rewards credit card gives you silver elite status with Marriott and every 3000 USD spend gives you another elite night. You'd have 22 nights so far (15 CC +1 bday + 1/$3000 + 5 stayed) which leaves 28 for the year to hit gold.

This doesn't give you much of any benefits in ritz carlton other than a enhanced earning amount though.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
OP,

Are you saying you wanted the Marriott team to give you some $50 nights in hotels of your choosing?

Why not go to marriott.com and search by country to see what's available? Yes, it may require a trip to the US or some other location to find cheap rates, but Marriott is not going to create low rates to allow people to reach status.

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps a reminder is in order: A post is not a text and clarity is important.
I was thinking perhaps it was more a language difference than text per se, given the OP is based in HKG.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was thinking perhaps it was more a language difference than text per se, given the OP is based in HKG.
Perhaps, but with 5,000 posts?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
My understanding after re-reading:

OP has a status challenge and would like to find some inexpensive room nights to complete it. I don't think he wants Marriott to reduce rates, he is just asking for help where to find inexpensive rooms.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I didn't know # of posts had anything to do w/ language reading/writing. I've got a client from France who speaks English very well (better than my French!), but when she sends me documents/info for press releases, brochures, etc, it still takes me a while to sort through/puzzle out some of what is written because it doesn't quite make sense. I've encountered the same w/ some clients from Germany, Turkey, and Netherlands.

Originally Posted by iztok
My understanding after re-reading:

OP has a status challenge and would like to find some inexpensive room nights to complete it. I don't think he wants Marriott to reduce rates, he is just asking for help where to find inexpensive rooms.
That could be. But we'd need dates & locations to try & help.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Number of posts determines language ability?

I've seen plenty of posts from native English speakers that are almost as confusing.

Last edited by Baze; Mar 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reason: fixed spelling
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Even parsing through the language, I'm still confused.

OP, even if you find inexpensive rooms with which you can rapidly earn status, there is no status that reduces the rates on rooms.

If you're looking for $50/night rooms, you'll need to search where you are located on Marriott.com and look at the rates. If that's the ask, perhaps a thread entitled "Looking for inexpensive rooms near ???? to quickly earn status through a challenge" and describe where you are located. There is a well-know stash of properties in Denver, but I suspect that won't help.

I'm unclear on how you got "stung".
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I didn't know # of posts had anything to do w/ language reading/writing.
Originally Posted by Baze
Number of posts determines language ability?
Lighten up, folks. My point was that someone who has 5,000 posts has some familiarity with posting norms and language conventions.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lighten up, folks. My point was that someone who has 5,000 posts has some familiarity with posting norms and language conventions.
Really? You are making assumptions that can't be backed up. This is an international BBS. For all we know the OP spends most of the posting time in forums related to things native English speakers don't frequent as much, like hotel chains mainly outside the US or airlines outside the US. Your point has no basis in fact. So I could say to you, "lighten up" on the OP because they aren't fully understandable. So instead of being insulting to the OP ask them for clarification. And in case you haven't noticed, FT is so full of abbreviations it is mind boggling. I need to look them up sometimes. And English sentence structure is very different than most foreign languages and I know many foreigners who have been speaking English for many years and still don't get things right. And some use a translator like Google Translate that doesn't always get things right. But enough of this as it is way off topic.

Edit to add: Looked at OP's posting history and as I suspected, most posts are on non-US based airlines forums, JAL and Cathay Pacific.

So, to the OP, where are you looking to get your cheap stays? How far are you willing to travel to get them? Where are you based. We need a little more information from you to better give you some suggestions.

Last edited by Baze; Mar 13, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP is in HKG, perhaps there are some cheap hotels in Thailand or southern China not far from HKG. Southeastern China is reachable by train, but once the OP must fly, then maybe he/she should look in cities where theree's an easy cheap flight. Kuala Lumper might work.

I don't think there are Marriotts in Hong Kong that cost less than (US?)$50 per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.