Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cubswin
We have a 12:05am flight in F on JAL from Haneda to San Francisco and I was trying to figure out how early we could check our bags (we are going to try and run to Tokyo for a couple hours)? I did try looking but did not have any luck.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/checkin/

At any time during the business hours of the counter at Narita, Haneda, Chubu Centrair, and Kansai Airport, regardless of your destination.
(Mid-night flight depart from Haneda, check-in will open from 6:00am the day before. Your check-in time may be different from above if your flight is a code-share flight operated by other carrier.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:49 am

Thanks! I had actually read that page already but I missed the part that I needed

Thanks again!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:16 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I used Avios to book a flight on JL. Is there a way to add my AA (plat; oneworld sapphire) frequent flyer number, preferably without calling?

Also, what does 5931 mean? is it some sort of goroawase?

Last edited by swy; Jul 4, 2015 at 10:22 am
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Try to use Finnair / Quatar's website to change it. I've done so couple months ago while switching from CX FFP to JL FFP.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:32 pm
swy

Thanks! I actually have used Finnair for a similar purpose before but didn't remember this time. The question though, is that BA/Finnair/Qatar are on Amadeus, but JL is not. If I change it on Amadeus, will JL see the change?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by swy
Thanks! I actually have used Finnair for a similar purpose before but didn't remember this time. The question though, is that BA/Finnair/Qatar are on Amadeus, but JL is not. If I change it on Amadeus, will JL see the change?
I'm not sure about the Amadeus part.

But what I do know is, I have JL booking reference (FRA-NRT), BA booking reference (LHR-FRA) on a JL issued ticket using FINNAIR/QATAR website, I can change my FFP # back and forth between CX and JL without any issue.

I never tried JL domestic though, that might be different, but international sections works just fine
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Finnair works for JAL domestic bookings with avios. Done it several times.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:54 pm

What are the general chances of upgrading with miles on JAL without having status? I'm booking a friend in J with AA points but bought a revenue economy ticket for myself. If I upgrade myself using JAL miles transferred from SPG what are the chances of me receiving that upgrade? (JFK -> NRT route in september)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:36 am
swy

Originally Posted by nshizuka25
I'm not sure about the Amadeus part.

But what I do know is, I have JL booking reference (FRA-NRT), BA booking reference (LHR-FRA) on a JL issued ticket using FINNAIR/QATAR website, I can change my FFP # back and forth between CX and JL without any issue.

I never tried JL domestic though, that might be different, but international sections works just fine
Originally Posted by virmaior
Finnair works for JAL domestic bookings with avios. Done it several times.
Actually, mine is international.

The Finnair method worked great: I used Avios to book a JL ticket; went to checkmytrip to get the JL PNR; went to the Finnair manage booking page to add my AA number, then (after some time) look at my itinerary on JAL, now it knows I am Sapphire.

Thanks for the suggestions~ I feel like this should probably be in the FAQ (whenever we feel like setting up one... ).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by nappington
What are the general chances of upgrading with miles on JAL without having status? I'm booking a friend in J with AA points but bought a revenue economy ticket for myself. If I upgrade myself using JAL miles transferred from SPG what are the chances of me receiving that upgrade? (JFK -> NRT route in september)
Not sure what is the J loading on JFK --> NRT, but I would not be surprised if this route has a heavy J demand.

I have never request J upgrade wait listing while being a statusless passenger.

But while I was a JMB Crystal, they would put me on wait list and give me the seat around a week before the flight. I'd assume, if there are empty seat in J, and you are willing to pay (miles) for it, you would get it, sooner or later, provide they let you wait list.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Dealing with MH codeshare operated by JAL

I bought a C-class fare on MH, which has 2 legs operated by JAL. I called MH and got the JL PNR. When I plug that into the JAL website, I can only see the city pair names and date and it says no other details can be pulled.

1. Will information like FF# and meal requests be reliably passed to JAL? (I have two seats reserved, one with meal request).
2. MH didn't take Secure Flight data while booking the flight and JAL doesn't show me the detailed information to edit. Who/how will I give it to? (MH customer service agent said you'd give it at the airport, but MH only takes me to KUL. JAL operates KUL-NRT-ORD, so it's JAL which needs it to supply to the U.S..

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Gobus; Jul 6, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:01 am

ORD-NRT Meals/Sleep logistics?

We are flying ORD-NRT in F soon. What are the logistics as far as meals and sleep? The flight departs around noon, so do they serve the first meal as soon as flight departs? Then, everyone tries to sleep (since it is the middle of the night in Japan)? Or everyone stays awake until the second meal later in the flight (dinner?) Or everyone marches to their own drummer? Some folks are sleeping, some eating? Bob.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bob26
We are flying ORD-NRT in F soon. What are the logistics as far as meals and sleep? The flight departs around noon, so do they serve the first meal as soon as flight departs? Then, everyone tries to sleep (since it is the middle of the night in Japan)? Or everyone stays awake until the second meal later in the flight (dinner?) Or everyone marches to their own drummer? Some folks are sleeping, some eating? Bob.
There is a formal meal service shortly after takeoff; while most choose to eat then, I'm sure you could postpone until later in the flight if you wanted to sleep, etc. Everything else is a la carte, and you can eat whenever you want.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seperate Tickets & Domestic Lounge Access

In a couple of weeks I will be flying JL ORD->NRT in F. In ORD, I know I will have access to the AA Flagship Lounge due to the class of service.

Since there wasn't any award availability for TYO->FUK, I have a separate ticket in class J for NRT-FUK that departs a couple of hours after I land in NRT.

Since they are on separate tickets, can I use my F boarding pass from ORD-NRT to gain access to the JL domestic lounge in NRT?

Based on what I've found: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/topics/2003_06/ it looks like I should but I'm not sure if they will interpret separate tickets as the same day connection or two separate journeys.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Total JAL newbie, hence into this thread....

I am holding an 2 AA F award seats on AA169, LAX-NRT next March.

Would rather fly JL in F.

I missed the initial seat releases (on the day I want two F seats are occupied, so I guess that was the 2 award seats.... total supposition of course)

What is JALs policy on award seat releases? Any ongoing threads I can read? Is it like QF? AA? What might I expect over the next 7.5 monts, a seat here or there? Or nothing until X weeks or Y days?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.