Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by FlitBen
I've heard that ANA sells prepaid data SIMs on their Japan inbound flights. Does anyone know if JAL does the same, and if so what brand/consumable/period/price?

I believe this is an ANA group thing, they have this available on Peach and Vanilla as well. I am not aware of JAL selling this during the flight. (They might, but I am no longer interested in it, as I got a contract with Docomo now.)

You can easily find alternatives, some providers will ship SIM cards to airport post office, your hotel... etc

I have picked one up from airport post office before, and would recommend it if you can not get one on the plane.

MiFi is also a good choice. You can rent one easily at the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by nshizuka25
I believe this is an ANA group thing, they have this available on Peach and Vanilla as well. I am not aware of JAL selling this during the flight. (They might, but I am no longer interested in it, as I got a contract with Docomo now.)

You can easily find alternatives, some providers will ship SIM cards to airport post office, your hotel... etc

I have picked one up from airport post office before, and would recommend it if you can not get one on the plane.

MiFi is also a good choice. You can rent one easily at the airport.
I guess I'll be looking again for SIMs at NRT T2's convenience stores as a backup package.

Can you recommend a MiFi I can rent on arrival and return to the same counter a week later? Something that works on the Narita Express and northbound Shinkansens as well? Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by FlitBen
I guess I'll be looking again for SIMs at NRT T2's convenience stores as a backup package.

Can you recommend a MiFi I can rent on arrival and return to the same counter a week later? Something that works on the Narita Express and northbound Shinkansens as well? Thanks!

This is a full list of Narita T2
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...c_19_1.html#t2

My parents rented a Mifi from the following website before. You can check the map for NRT T2. They will rent you Mifi if they have it in stock (JCB doesn't operate the business), but I do not know where to reserve one if you don't have a JCB card.
http://jcbglobalwifi.jp/en/
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nshizuka25
My parents rented a Mifi from the following website before. You can check the map for NRT T2. They will rent you Mifi if they have it in stock (JCB doesn't operate the business), but I do not know where to reserve one if you don't have a JCB card.
http://jcbglobalwifi.jp/en/
This JCB offer may work for me - thank you!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:41 am

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Newbie Alert

Excited to be flying Japan Airlines, and going to both NRT/ICN, for the first time ever.

I've cruised through FT JAL, and done some dot com surfing for additional info.

I am: Executive Platinum on American Airlines (Emerald).

Departure (Business Class throughout): Flying LAX-NRT (2+ hour delay until next flight) NRT-ICN.

Return (Business Class throughout): ICN-NRT (one night layover), then finally NRT-LAX.

Do I: get access to the JAL lounge at LAX for the outbound?

Do I: get access to an arrivals lounge or standard lounge at NRT between 1st & 2nd leg?

Do I: On the Return from NRT-LAX I am flying AA metal so I am covered with the Terminal 2 Admirals Club, it appears

Seats: I like the staggered seating so everyone has access to an aisle on the long-haul JAL leg.

Bonus Question: I read a trip report where the flyer said local food was a bit advanced for his liking en route LAX-NRT(?) - even though he said he like Japanese food - and he stayed with the "western" meal. Only thing I don't eat is Octopus! Thoughts on the cuisine? Kind of excited to be local at least during the LAX-NRT leg (and when I'm in NRT for 24 hours - well, not in airport for 24 )

I probably am not thinking of something ... so thanks in advance for any guidance.

Thank you.

Last edited by nhila; Sep 25, 2015 at 7:46 am Reason: Spelled "thing" incorrectly
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nhila
Excited to be flying Japan Airlines, and going to both NRT/ICN, for the first time ever.

I've cruised through FT JAL, and done some dot com surfing for additional info.

I am: Executive Platinum on American Airlines (Emerald).

Departure (Business Class throughout): Flying LAX-NRT (2+ hour delay until next flight) NRT-ICN.

Return (Business Class throughout): ICN-NRT (one night layover), then finally NRT-LAX.

Do I: get access to the JAL lounge at LAX for the outbound?

Do I: get access to an arrivals lounge or standard lounge at NRT between 1st & 2nd leg?

Do I: On the Return from NRT-LAX I am flying AA metal so I am covered with the Terminal 2 Admirals Club, it appears

Seats: I like the staggered seating so everyone has access to an aisle on the long-haul JAL leg.

Bonus Question: I read a trip report where the flyer said local food was a bit advanced for his liking en route LAX-NRT(?) - even though he said he like Japanese food - and he stayed with the "western" meal. Only thing I don't eat is Octopus! Thoughts on the cuisine? Kind of excited to be local at least during the LAX-NRT leg (and when I'm in NRT for 24 hours - well, not in airport for 24 )

I probably am not thinking of something ... so thanks in advance for any guidance.

Thank you.
In LAX JAL departs from TBIT, as emerald you will have access to the Qantas first class lounge.

In NRT you will have access to the JAL first class lounge for the connection. There are lounges both in the satellite building and the main building depending on where your gate is. You will not go land side for the connection, so you will get access to the air side lounges. No arrival lounge by the way.

On the return flight you can still use the JAL first class lounge. It is far superior to the Admirals Club.

You can check the menus in advance on JAL's website. The Japanese option is indeed very Japanese, study the menu and decide based on the descriptions.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In LAX JAL departs from TBIT, as emerald you will have access to the Qantas first class lounge.

In NRT you will have access to the JAL first class lounge for the connection. There are lounges both in the satellite building and the main building depending on where your gate is. You will not go land side for the connection, so you will get access to the air side lounges. No arrival lounge by the way.

On the return flight you can still use the JAL first class lounge. It is far superior to the Admirals Club.

You can check the menus in advance on JAL's website. The Japanese option is indeed very Japanese, study the menu and decide based on the descriptions.
Thank you for the reply CPH-Flyer I am literally putting these notes in my calendar now - as the trip is a month+ away. I am loyal to AA to a fault, so I might feel guilty trying another lounge (Quantas). But maybe I'll try it. Side note: I still have never flown Cathay or Singapore so those are on the FT bucket list too ha ha.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:08 am

Thank you for the reply CPH-Flyer I am literally putting these notes in my calendar now - as the trip is a month+ away. I am loyal to AA to a fault, so I might feel guilty trying another lounge (Quantas). But maybe I'll try it. Side note: I still have never flown Cathay or Singapore so those are on the FT bucket list too ha ha.
Your gonna love the Qantas lounge. Makes AC look like crap.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:43 am

I flew JAL J twice this year. NRT-YVR and NRT-ORD. The Japanese meal is indeed "very Japanese". First flight they ran out of Japanese option so I choose the Western meal which was a beef dish and it was one of the best beef I ate on a flight. So the second time I fly JAL this year (and after spending 8 days in Japan sampling all kinds of real Japanese food) when I saw their Western option is a Japanese Waygu steak I didn't even think twice and I ordered it. It didn't disappoint. Compare with Cathay, I think JAL wins in terms of food and service. The only thing lacking is their IFE which Cathay beats it hands down. Anyway, enjoy your flight and the lounges. You will have a great time.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by brabb12
Your gonna love the Qantas lounge. Makes AC look like crap.
Thanks for the advice brabb12 but it appears I can't use the Quantas lounge after checking their site. I stand to be corrected but I thought I just read that I have to be on a Quantas flight even though I'd earn the right to the Business Lounge as an Emerald if I was flying Quantas.

Maybe I missed reading something?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
I flew from LAX to LHR last week with British Airways, and as a BA Gold (OW Emerald), I had no problem using the Qantas First Class lounge there.
And it was great, the a la carte restaurant had a great service and the food was quite good.
Forget about the AC.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks for the advice brabb12 but it appears I can't use the Quantas lounge after checking their site. I stand to be corrected but I thought I just read that I have to be on a Quantas flight even though I'd earn the right to the Business Lounge as an Emerald if I was flying Quantas.

Maybe I missed reading something?
All Oneworld Emerald can use the Qantas (PS there is no 'u' despite the pronunciation) first class lounge when departing from the TBIT. Do not worry about access rules, they are in your favour.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:17 pm

My family and I are going to Japan in two weeks. We are in first class. I want to know, has anyone ever used JAL's IFE system to plug in their own device to watch on jals TV monitor. I'm specificly talking about the RCA TV output. The yellow cable spot.

I have a laptop that can do HDMI and VGA.. If anyone knows what specific cables and or converter boxes I need to make my laptop video show up on the TV, it would be a amazing help.... Its mainly for my son who's 1 year and half old. Don't want him destroying my laptop and trying to smash the keys.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:13 pm

Does JAL update the online menus every month, or every three months? More specifically, will the December menu be available on Oct 1., or Dec. 1?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:34 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Oformula
Does JAL update the online menus every month, or every three months? More specifically, will the December menu be available on Oct 1., or Dec. 1?
It depends on class of service and route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.