Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:55 am

I'm evaluating various FF programs for best suitability, my priority being International award flight redemption down the track between MEL and TYO.

I'm trying to see if JMB will be suitable. I've logged into the JAL website and going to the JMB international award area, I can only see award flight departure as 'Sydney'.

Does this mean I can only redeem on JAL for SYD-TYO ... and I have to separately get myself to Sydney on another domestic flight ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkMelbourne
I'm evaluating various FF programs for best suitability, my priority being International award flight redemption down the track between MEL and TYO.

I'm trying to see if JMB will be suitable. I've logged into the JAL website and going to the JMB international award area, I can only see award flight departure as 'Sydney'.

Does this mean I can only redeem on JAL for SYD-TYO ... and I have to separately get myself to Sydney on another domestic flight ?

Thanks in advance.
It means you can only book JAL flights online, for flights involving partners you will have to call them.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
So I searched Kayak for some flights from LAX to Sydney in November in Premium Economy. I found that aside from the usual direct on Qantas, that there were less expensive legs with stopovers for Cathay Pacific and JAL.

Going on Cathay's site, I can easily book the flight, but with JAL it seems impossible to book a flight to Sydney. It seems the only way I can book originating from the USA is the USA site, and then for where I land, the only option is Japan or Asia. No Australia or Sydney.

Any reason why it's like this, or any workaround?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
How would you recommend improving my seating assignment on JAL?

I have a few JL J flights in a few weeks on both 772 and 767. I'm OWS (QF). On the 772 the only window pair is in Row 9. I am really hoping to snag Row 1 which I assume is blocked for potential bassinets. Is there anyway to try and secure these seats other than hoping they're free at checkin? Anything in advance?

On the 767 flights the ENTIRE J cabin is 'occupied' meaning I cant select any seats (even separately). Again, anything I can do in advance or just wait and see and hope?

Im not expecting either flight to be very heavily loaded.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:49 pm

I'm flying business class from DFW in January, will I be able to use one of the Admiral's Club lounges?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by diseased
I'm flying business class from DFW in January, will I be able to use one of the Admiral's Club lounges?
Yes, per oneworld rules, you will be based on class of service.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
You can take pictures/videos during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

If you like sushi, there's a sushi bar at NRT F lounge.
Thanks JAL. So basically the rules are relaxed now similar to CX? Good to know. ^

And yes, I love sushi so I'll be looking forward to that but will give the airport restaurants a try as well!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:10 pm

And I apologize to ask this question again but I'm curious to know hows the Business Class lounge in NGO. I assume its nothing special but curious to know what food items they have. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maortega15
Thanks JAL. So basically the rules are relaxed now similar to CX? Good to know. ^

And yes, I love sushi so I'll be looking forward to that but will give the airport restaurants a try as well!
Yes, Japan relaxed the rules a few weeks before HK did.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...-1-2014-a.html

Not that many restaurants options airside though
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by maortega15
And I apologize to ask this question again but I'm curious to know hows the Business Class lounge in NGO. I assume its nothing special but curious to know what food items they have. Thanks!
A typical jal intl lounge hv mini-cup noodles jail de sky, beer, crackers, and sometimes sandwich or curry.
Nowhere close to a typical cx offering. Just give them 20-30 mins max
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond
5 hours enough time to connect between HND - NRT?

I am looking at booking a flight: BKK to HND which arrives HND at 6 am then connecting on a flight departing NRT to ORD departing 11:10 am ....JAL says a legal connection ...I have checked and there is scheduled bus service /train service between the two airports. That said, is this 5 hour transfer do-able for a first time timer transiting in Japan? Advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FluerTalk.

You will experience some local rush hour traffic, but five hours should be fine, unless the arriving flight is very late.

If it's all JL and on one itinerary you should be protected as well.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by putfish
I am looking at booking a flight: BKK to HND which arrives HND at 6 am then connecting on a flight departing NRT to ORD departing 11:10 am ....JAL says a legal connection ...I have checked and there is scheduled bus service /train service between the two airports. That said, is this 5 hour transfer do-able for a first time timer transiting in Japan? Advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The bus is the easiest option for a first timer in Japan. They will speak a bit of English at the counter, and you will not have get your luggage up or down to the train platforms. You can take the cart to the bus stop. There are a few direct trains, but most require a change of trains. The direct trains are also commuter trains, so not much space for luggage and they can be a bit crowded in the morning.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FluerTalk.
When did we all get flu and become fluertalk
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by Rukes
So I searched Kayak for some flights from LAX to Sydney in November in Premium Economy. I found that aside from the usual direct on Qantas, that there were less expensive legs with stopovers for Cathay Pacific and JAL.

Going on Cathay's site, I can easily book the flight, but with JAL it seems impossible to book a flight to Sydney. It seems the only way I can book originating from the USA is the USA site, and then for where I land, the only option is Japan or Asia. No Australia or Sydney.

Any reason why it's like this, or any workaround?
Just a bump, after talking to JAL, they admit that for some reason they don't support booking LAX - NRT - SYD on their website, and said I would have to do it through my travel agent. Ended up doing that and it worked out fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.