Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How can I request seats (Y class, no status) for a flight departing from NY? Doesn't seem like it's possible on the website until <24 hours from the flight, and telephone operators have given me the run 'round.

Thanks,
BmB
You need to check your fare class. If it is N, you can't pre-assign seat until OLCI opens. Is this an AA coded flight?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are 3 F lounges, the main one with the most features. It is on the left hand side on the 3rd (main) floor if you walk towards gate 61. There is a smaller lounge up stairs in the same location open in the morning hours. It does not have showers or massage. There is a lounge in the satellite building as well. But go for the main lounge, it is not outstanding as first class lounges go. But certain hours of day there is a sushi counter in operation for a fairly good snack.
Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by critterchick
Add me to the JAL newbie list. We are booked LAX-NRT on an Aadvantage award and are waiting for the return to open up for our return, SIN-LAX. JAL has a one hour connection in NRT - is that doable without having to run like Forrest Gump (assuming no SNAFU on the first leg)?
One hour to connect should be sufficient in most cases. You will not need to clear the immigration in NRT given that you are merely transiting int'l to int'l. Make sure you have your connecting boarding pass on hands for verification, there is a line that will send you right back to international departure zone as long as you follow the connecting flights signage.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maortega15

And thanks for the menus. The food sounds good. Hows the catering ex-NRT and ex-HNL? I'm thinking about the Japanese option ex-NRT and Western option ex-HNL. Hows the udon noodles snack option?
You can use the In-Flight Meal Search tool here to see what will be served on your routes: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/index02.html

Also, what else should I expect in JAL Business class? It's my first time flying JAL in Business and I' really looking forward to it. My past flights on JAL have been in Economy. Do they give out amenity kits on flights to and from HNL? If so, what kind?
Sorry, can't help you there, I have never flown the HNL-NRT route, I only know the service, amenity and catering is different from other NA destinations as in, one step below given that it is mostly a leisure route.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: FT
best seats for 3 in J with a child, 9, on the 773/SS7 i am assuming is row 5 middle three?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mkjr
best seats for 3 in J with a child, 9, on the 773/SS7 i am assuming is row 5 middle three?
I would say any middle 3 would be the same for traveling with a child. But if you prefer the mini cabin in general, you get the added bonus.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
You should read this if you plan to pick row 5

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23509291-post13.html
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Hows the udon noodles snack option?
This is the UDON de SKY on the menu. It is just an instant cup udon from Nissin.

https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/521163876688080897
https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/521163682579886081
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
This is the UDON de SKY on the menu. It is just an instant cup udon from Nissin.

https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/521163876688080897
https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/521163682579886081
Thats it?!

I was expecting something "fresh" if you want to call it that similar to CX's noodles in J. Is it good by any chance? Also, do they serve it direct from the Nissin container or in a proper bowl? I'll be flying in Business.

Moving on, curious to know if the retrofitted 767 with the staggered suites have an underbelly camera.

For those who have flown to/from Honolulu on JAL in Business, do they give amenity kits? If so, what kind? And hows the food from Nagoya and Honolulu? I read the menu, but curious to know the taste, amount of food they give and other details.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:38 pm

Thats it?!

I was expecting something "fresh" if you want to call it that similar to CX's noodles in J. Is it good by any chance? Also, do they serve it direct from the Nissin container or in a proper bowl? I'll be flying in Business.

Moving on, curious to know if the retrofitted 767 with the staggered suites have an underbelly camera.

For those who have flown to/from Honolulu on JAL in Business, do they give amenity kits? If so, what kind? And hows the food from Nagoya and Honolulu? I read the menu, but curious to know the taste, amount of food they give and other details.

Thanks again.
Wow someone sounds like they have HIGH standards.

Don't know about the hawaii route, but they do give amenity kits in all business class. It will be a tumi kit. The food is good. Ive always been thrilled with the food that JAL serves. "Then again I eat anything, and usually like it!"

You will enjoy the flight im sure of it!!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brabb12

Don't know about the hawaii route, but they do give amenity kits in all business class. It will be a tumi kit. The food is good. Ive always been thrilled with the food that JAL serves. "Then again I eat anything, and usually like it!"

You will enjoy the flight im sure of it!!
Actually no, not all routes have the TUMI kits.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Thats it?!

Thanks again.
In the Nissin container. I bought it myself as snack every time I visit Tokyo. They used to stock those at the HKG Travelers' Lounge too. So I like it but it is nothing special, just a regular instant udon.

JL has removed those cameras as part of the retrofit. I couldn't find any belly camera channel on SS7/6. Landing and takeoff is no longer shown on the screen either.

You will have amenity but not the TUMI kit. JAL used to have a different version (more colorful) of the amenities on this route but I am not sure if that's still the case.

I could contact another FTer who has exp on this route if you want comment on actual catering ex-HNL. Not sure if he knows about ex-NGO though.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
Thats it?!

Thanks again.
Hawaii is a resort destination for JAL (and alot of other asian carriers) so you get the more casual kind of foods. I cant remember how the noodles are served but..its still just instant noodles. They also leave chocolates and cookies in the aft section of C class you can grab anytime. They have pineapple ice cream too. These are for snacks anytime. ex-HNL of course.

No amenity kits. nada. same with ANA coming into the resort markets. ex HNL the food is well, typical of what you get from a US based catering company. Japanese main dish is Hamachi with miso flavor along with all of the side dishes you get in a normal teishoku style plating. The Western is Beef Tenderloin with teriyaki butter sauce, clam salad , crab salad, caprese on skewer blah blah blah. If you want to know the caterer, its International Catering company. They do most of the international carriers and UA and DL out of HNL.

I dont know about portions but if you are used to Japanese food and portions, then you get the idea. The Japanese term is "jyoushiki".

BLT sandwich, egg roast beef sandwich and yogurt before arrival.

Too bad you arent going through NRT and hopping on the 787. those are a nice treat. the 767 is ok. But I prefer the JAL product better than the NH product which in turn speaks volumes over any US based carrier.

Have a good flight and hat tip to JALPak for a heads up. This is the most recent menu for HNL-JPN btw. and no, i dont work for JAL. I just fly these flts about 6-8 times a year on JL and for some god knows why reason about 10 times a year on UA.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not sure if he knows about ex-NGO though.
I stand to be corrected.
exHNL the food is " Opakapaka roll with tofu &vegetable stuffing & Sake steamed opakapaka for Jpnz
Western is beef tenderloin steak with teriyaki sauce & yuzu butter" and this is from a CP who works this flt.

Opakapaka is good to go anytime. and JAL actually makes good rice on board.

exNGO the food is "Jpnz meal is salt grilled cherry salmon with Japanese pepper West herb crusted beef fillet steak with white mustard sauce"
I've had this steak coming out of HND before. good stuff to go western.

snack tray ex NGO is the typical chocolates and rice cracker senbei stuff and dry natto stuff.

If you like your whisky get your hakushu or yamazki groove on cause its awesome. and right about when that haze lifts, you will be landing...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by brabb12
It's not that I have high standards, I just thought that JAL would be offering something more proper especially in Business with JAL being highly regarded. But I don't mind.

Originally Posted by daboogah
Too bad you arent going through NRT and hopping on the 787. those are a nice treat. the 767 is ok. But I prefer the JAL product better than the NH product which in turn speaks volumes over any US based carrier.
I won't be flying for a while but by the time I fly, JAL will only offer 767's. On the way back, I'll be flying through NRT. I really wanted to try out the 787 but it seems that the 767 will be used instead. It's a real bummer but at least the 767 is a new aircraft type for me to give a try.

I'll be on the 777 from NGO-HNL. I'm sure that has an underbelly, correct?

Thanks everybody. Looking forward to my flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.