Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:43 pm

Thumbs down Very poor experience - Andaz must mean agita!

Hyatt Andaz – “it was the worst of times!”

An English author once wrote, “it was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” And so too was a recent stay at the Sheraton Skyline (best) and the Andaz Liverpool Street (worst).

This was a stay that started poorly with the reservations, did not go well during the stay and even after returning home, continues to aggravate me!

What went wrong? Quite a few things!

Reservations

As I was traveling with a friend, I wanted to book an award night for a room with 2 beds. This was easier said than done. Hyatt reservations could not do that. Hotel information displayed on Hyatt.com was unclear as to how many beds were in a room, and rooms are referred to as King or Queen. Apparently, this refers to the size of the room, not the mattress (as in most hotels in the world). Needlessly confusing.

So not only do we have an odd name (Andaz), but Hyatt obfuscates with odd use of nomenclature.

An international call to the hotel supposedly put me into a room with two beds, but the email confirmation sent by the hotel (the original Hyatt email confirmation went to a wrong email address now longer used; despite my updating my profile) stated otherwise. Attempts to reconcile the discrepancy by email was unhelpful, with only generic email replies. It was as if they did not read my emails, and just randomly generated replies.

Just to be certain, we arrived at the hotel the day before our check in date (I was at the Sheraton Skyline near LHR the night before) just to confirm our reservation for a room with 2 beds.

Blocked entry

Upon arriving at the hotel the next day, the hotel doorman started to block my friend from entering the hotel. The doorman told my friend that the hotel had dropped out of the London Open House event at the last minute and because we travel light, he did not realize that we were customers.

Still further blockage ensued as a movie shoot—“Wild Target” had taken over the front entrance. Indeed, a film crew usurped the ground floor lobby, one of three lifts and stationed film crew Gestapo around the hotel to “shush” people. So you could not talk freely in the hotel public areas, lest you disturb the actors.

As the lobby was used for the convenience of the film crew, hotel customers benefited from a new exercise regime—walking up 2 stories by stairs to the “temporary lobby” located on the first floor. My 74 year old friend, while sprightly, was not amused. I was glad that we were not burdened with much luggage.

“Those bast@rds!”

That piercing scream came from the ground floor lobby. Apparently that was the movie dialog. As the hotel has a five story atrium, that could be heard throughout the public atrium. Since movie shoots can never get the take right the first time, we were treated to repeated such screams during the 31 minutes we attempted to check in. Delightful. Actually, this was not very relaxing nor conducive to tranquility.

Andaz should decide whether they are in the movie set business or in the hotel business. Reception staff later told us that other customers were very put off by this movie shoot. At the very minimum, a special condition alert should have been placed on Hyatt.com, and during the telephone booking process, this should have been stated.

These tablets are hard to swallow

Andaz for reasons known only to management, decided that frumpy reception desks, hard wired with PCs would not do. Instead, roving staff armed with tablets check you in. Unlike some hotels where customers can sit in comfort during check in (Sheraton Dubai comes to mind), we had to stand next to the atrium railing (to the lobby below) to check in. Why? Because reception staff were having difficulty getting a strong wi-fi signal on the first floor. This meant painfully slow computer connections, and frequent dropped signals. Check in took a slow 26 minutes—and this was with only one person in queue ahead of us!

We’ll followup with you later

I spoke with one of the managers to express our disappointment with the hotel experience thus far. He agreed to extend our check out by 2 hours to 2 PM the next day and stated that he would check in on us later. This would be the last time we would see him.

Previously, we asked if we could get a room that faced that famous icon, the Gherkin. The hotel agreed to place us in a room with that view. The room provided actually faced away from the Gherkin, as staff were not familiar with which room numbers were on which side of the hotel. As we were participating in several London Open House events, after 31 minutes trying to sort out checkin and our rooms, we had to leave the hotel to attend to our next venue. So, instead of having a few minutes to drop off our luggage and sit for a bit, we had to continue our check in process later in the afternoon.

Returning to the hotel, we spent another 15 minutes attempting to check in. This time the problem was that the hotel could not get a good wi-fi signal to cut our keys. And sure enough, one of the room keys did not work., requiring still a further trip to sort things out.

We’ll still charge you for your award stay

They also had no record of my Hyatt award redemption. I gave them my confirmation print out. The next day they said that all was sorted out reservation wise. Upon returning home, I would later discover that Andaz has charged my credit card $850 for unspecified charges. (We did not incur any chargeable expenses during our stay.)

At least the in room safe is clean

As the in room safe was left in the closed position, we could not use that facility before going out for the evening. That required contacting reception once again—I’m certain they were as tired to hear from us as I was to contact them.

Watch out for the spitballs!

The hotel offers the loan of their i-pods, and I was curious as to what music selection would be loaded, so I borrowed one. During our wait for the i-pod in the lobby that night, a young, female vagrant entered the lobby and attempted to talk us into giving her money. When we didn’t warm to that idea, she quickly became agitated, and proceeded to hurl verbal abuse and spit at me. Hyatt security asked her to leave, then security stood there at a distance. No offer of a towel was forthcoming. I asked the reception staff whether laundry service was possible (No), or whether laundry soap could be provided (No) as I wanted to wash the spittle off my shirt (and face). Not in 126 countries of travel have I been spat at while sitting in a hotel lobby. Or for that matter, anywhere, such as on a street.

If breakfast is included, then why am I charged for it?

Andaz has some interesting inclusive concepts, such as a global price including breakfast, in room movies, in room Internet, laundry, minibar. This is a nice concept.

However, this did not deter Andaz from trying to charge me 27 pounds for my friend’s breakfast, as he awoke earlier to eat first. Clearing this up took up more time during check out.

No photos! (Do as we say, not as we do)

Breakfast was relaxing, and with the hassles encountered, I sought to linger over the morning repast. As the sunlight and shadows filtered through the window and spot lit the table setting, I took a couple of photos. Mind you no other person or staff were within the photo. Hyatt restaurant staff told me that because my camera “looked professional (it is a Nikon D200), I could not take photos! And this was a hotel that was supposed to participate in London Open House where presumably throngs of camera toting visitors would be snapping away. Or in the hotel converted to become a Hollywood sound stage. As I waited to check out, I noticed Hyatt professional photographers taking photos in the lobby. They were there to update the hotel’s web photos.

By comparison…

My prior night at the Sheraton Skyline hotel was almost flawless. Quick check in, able to check in at 07:00 after my trans-Atlantic flight arrival into LHR, good Starwood Platinum recognition, Club Room upgrade, Club Lounge access and no hassles! The in room safe worked, the bill was accurate and service was friendly, quick and efficient.

Unlike Andaz (must be Latin for agita), I do not need to dispute $850 in unknown charges.

My British friend has stated that he does not plan to darken the Andaz doorway again...

Last edited by Globehopper; Sep 26, 2008 at 10:14 am
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have had similar issues Globehopper. I have stayed here a few times and then wonder why I bother going back. I've been overcharged on almost every stay. The management rarely respond to calls or mails and if they do they send a standard response that doesn't address your enquiry.

We also tried to check in when a minor celeb was being checked in and the lobby was jammed with screaming kids. The checki n process is stupid and obviously doesn't work so they should scrap it. They should also get some professional staff there rather than vain model wannabes

Interesting I was watching a travel program on a Finnair flight last week and they featured the Andaz as the biggest new thing from Hyatt They waxed lyrical about the hotel with no lobby and the convenience of checking whilst enjoying a complimentary drink in the lobby or for the busy executive they will take you to your room and check you in there - what a load of cobblers!

Hyatt should be ashamed of this property - get a new manager!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:30 am

Good followup

I just received a call from the GM at the Andaz who profusely apologized for the stay experience. We discussed my concerns, and he seemed sincerely interested in putting things right.

Based upon our conversation, I now have a better opinion of things (hopefully) going forward.

I did thank him for his followup.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper
I just received a call from the GM at the Andaz who profusely apologized for the stay experience. We discussed my concerns, and he seemed sincerely interested in putting things right.

Based upon our conversation, I now have a better opinion of things (hopefully) going forward.

I did thank him for his followup.
Was the GM's call the result of your posting your experience here, or because you wrote him a complaint letter?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Was the GM's call the result of your posting your experience here, or because you wrote him a complaint letter?

Good question!

I called Hyatt President's office to complain, and also directed them to this posting.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:41 pm

Smile

Globe...

I've stayed at the Andaz twice. One of the times was the exact time you were at the hotel. I too, was not happy with the movie shoot going on the day I arrived. Luckily, it was just the one day and it didn't interfere with the things we needed to do. Needless to say, I wasn't and remain unhappy with the check-in, check-out, regardless of where it is.

On the breakfast, the room rate only includes breakfast for one, which is why you saw that on your bill. I asked when I first arrived during a prior visit to avoid such a surprise. Hopefully, they fixed the bill for you.

My other stays have been fine. Definitely not worth the 400 pounds a night they try to charge during the week, but like yourself, I used points for my stay for two of the nights. Took them a bit to figure out how to run a credit card for the one night I did pay for, but they figured it out nonetheless. Hopefully, this was an isolated incident, as for the most part, I had an enjoyable stay.

My in-room safe didn't work either...did you have same experience? I couldn't enter the darn 4th number. It just stopped working...strange.

Sorry about the spittle...I told my cousin to quit hanging out there the last time I was there.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
just booked rooms - will report back

I just booked rooms for 01Dec & 02Dec, burning off some FFN nights.

I've not stayed there, although I did send my UK PA there to check it out, and she raved about the place, so we'll see what happens.

Any chance of getting the GM contact info so I can drop him/her a line in advance, maybe try avoid problems? Private message on here is fine.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
At a recent stay there, I received NO Diamond amenity, and when I inquired, I was told that "it's a different kind of Hyatt," with citation to the free breakfast and the "healthy" minibar. So since everyone gets breakfast, free water and some sugar-laden juices, it's not necessary to do anything extra for Diamonds.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by rfrost
At a recent stay there, I received NO Diamond amenity, and when I inquired, I was told that "it's a different kind of Hyatt," with citation to the free breakfast and the "healthy" minibar. So since everyone gets breakfast, free water and some sugar-laden juices, it's not necessary to do anything extra for Diamonds.
This property really does not care about GP. While Hyatt trumpet Andaz as the latest concept for boutique hotels for me it has always been a very poor experience. There are much better properties in London - unfortunately they're not Hyatts.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:59 pm
pdb

Thumbs down Reduction of benefits in 2009 at Andaz

I came across the following when checking out rates on 1/2-Jan-09 in London:

Rate Description:

2009 Complimentary Andaz Inclusions: Wifi Internet Access and Local Phone Calls Healthy Mini Bar Includes Organic Juices, Mineral Water and Snack

2008 Complimentary Andaz Inclusions: Breakfast Daily Wifi Internet Access and Local Phone Calls Healthy Mini Bar Includes Organic Juices and Mineral Water Laundry Service Daily Unlimited Blockbuster Movies Important Agent Note: - Reservations Booked Before November 15, 2008 With Any Arrival Date Including January 1, 2009 and Beyond Will Receive 2008 Andaz Inclusions - Reservations Booked After November 15, 2008 With Arrivals Before January 1, 2009 Will Receive 2008 Andaz Inclusions - Reservations Booked After November 15, 2008 With...{no additional text follows this}
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:01 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pdb
I came across the following when checking out rates on 1/2-Jan-09 in London:
I'm not sure if this hotel or the Intercontinental London is a bigger "train wreck". I'm only following these chains to see how not to treat your customers and drive them away.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
with a 310-350 pounds price tag does anyone have anything good to say about this hotel?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:21 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Good question. I booked an upcoming 5 night FFN stay in London at The Churchill... based entirely on this thread!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hyatt Andaz or Churchill? Is Andaz really that bad?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:26 am

I stayed at the Andaz over New Years (and Swissotel the Howard after) and was apprehensive at first, but actually liked it.

Staff isn't that great, but the rooms were nicely done and the drinks / laundry etc was welcome.

no upgrade though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.