Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:51 pm

Quick update - I was there as a Plat a couple weeks ago (Valentine's weekend through to the Wednesday) on a RC room rate of $108.

The Club is still there, but I was disappointed by the miscommunication among the staff. While they were polite, nobody seemed to be aware that the Club hostess would be out on Monday, meaning the club didn't open until Tuesday - somehow they don't have anybody else who can do what she does, can you imagine what will happen if she quits? I was told that the Club would open Mon morning, which meant Sat checkin yield a cert and Monday morning required me to ask for another cert. Additionally, as I learned on Tuesday, ending breakfast at 8:30 is a little too early, especially if are you are going to offer is dryish pastries. They did smooth things over a little by giving me another cert...

Parking wasn't bad considering the plethora of teenagers swarming the building for some volleyball event.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I spent 5 nights in this hotel at the end of Jan. As a diamond got a corner room with the balcony. Room was in decent condition - all the usual amenities, flat-screen TV (although on the smaller side), etc. Got the breakfast certs good for the continental breakfast for the weekend. Could be upgraded to full buffet for $4 more.

RC is on the main floor to the left of the check-in counters and the elevator bank. The breakfast was decent and the evening offerings (always a hot item) were good. They have an honor bar (I think the price was $4 per drink). Cookies and nuts were available throughout the day.

All in all a pleasant stay. I'm sorry the poster above had issues with the RC being closed on Monday evening and hope he did have a good experience once the young lady who mans the club in the evening got back.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:09 am

Has anyone noticed whether the fitness center has been "restored"? Last time I was there, they'd pulled out a bunch of equipment - apparently some sort of remodel. But perhaps the equipment's just gone.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Has anyone noticed whether the fitness center has been "restored"? Last time I was there, they'd pulled out a bunch of equipment - apparently some sort of remodel. But perhaps the equipment's just gone.
I was there this past weekend. It was open and did add two of the most recent models of the LifeFitness Crosstrainer and three new treadmills. Each of the new models have iPod attachments and a personal trainer function. The strenght equipment was the same.

I said most recent models as any new models are most likely to be introduced next week during IHRSA next week in San Francisco.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
We're currently at the end of a 10 night stay. Here are some highlights:

Checking in - Efficient and friendly. We were assigned to the 14th Regency Club floor, although not a suite or corner/balcony room. Parking is free, which is a plus for bay area.

Room - very modern, similar to the layout at Grand Hyatt DFW. Water temperature and pressue is a constant issue, as it takes up to 5 minutes for water to heat up. Although the sink is nicely designed, the water pressure from the faucet forces water splashing everywhere.

T-mobile wireless internet access is available. Manual intervention is required to remove charges for elite members. In addition, they cleared out the mini-bar, and it's now presented as a fridge in the room.

Regency Club- it's open Monday evening through Friday breakfast. Morning breakfast consisted of pastry, cereals, smoked salmon, cheese, and fruits. Coffee and espresso is brewed on demand on a special machine. Evening reception is consisted of 1-2 appetizers (Vietnamese spring rolls, smoked salmon, and crab stuffed cherry tomatoes), crudite, and cheese and crackers. All alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, and cocktails - all self serve) are $4, which is a bargain. The lounge also has a printer and 2 computer kiosks. No separate dessert service, but there were 4 different types of cookies.

For Diamond members, breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant outside of RC hours. It is alledgely comped when it's charged to the room, although some manual intervention was required for us.

Restaurant - the main restaurant is unremarkable. Dinner was mediocre. However, the sushi bar is excellent, and you can order sushi at the main bar.

Other amenities - There is an outdoor pool/lounge area. Looks nice - and was also crowded.

Service - staff were friendly and helpful, and tried to make things right when there's an issue. The RC attendant comes and goes, and we're assuming she has other duties elsewhere.

Overall - a good hotel. Would return again.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
at this property now.

Check-in agent was friendly, but forgot to tell me I was upgraded to a club room or where the RC was. When i asked the other agent walked me over and opened the door for me.

Room is very modern with (kinda small) flatscreen. I like the decor - its very scandanavian with light colered woods and light colored fabrics/carpet. View was of the golf course next-door. Was given the room at the end of the hall on the 13th floor.

RC has nice computers (both Mac and PC) and two huge flatscreens. Comfortable "booths" and a big dining table with a fruit bowl in the middle. Soft drinks, coffee, tea, cocoa and fresh baked cookies are available self serve all the time. I am here on a weekend so the breakfast, alcoholic drinks, and evening appetizers are not available (separate room that is closed off.) Magazines and newspapers are available. One gripe - the magazine I wanted was on a very high shelf like 8 or 9 feet off the ground and I am not a giraffe so couldn't reach it.

The pool area looked nice and had a fountain and couches as well as tables / chairs for eating. It is on the first floor but accessible via a "pool elevator" on the 3rd floor so you don't have to walk through the lobby in your swimsuit.

Parking was free in the garage.

I went to the restaurant for dinner about 40 minutes before closing to find it was closed. Wish they had warned me at check-in. grrr. Full menu was available in the bar but a bunch of college kids were watching their school's football game so it was noisy. Food was okay though.

Breakfast at TRESCA was what I expect. The menu was the same as all the other Hyatt Regencies I've been to. My corned beef hash was better than the one I had to Orange County though. The juice was not as good. I was charged $0.30 which I think was the amount over what my bill plus 20% gratuity would have been. So i guess they include meal, tax, and 20% but anything over that you pay.

At checkout found out I was charged for internet. They said it's because it's t-mobile and that only wired is free for diamonds. She happily took it off my bill though when I questioned it.

Overall I'm satisified with the stay. There were problems but they fixed them. Will call customer service about Tresca being closed early with no forewarning. That was a bit annoying.

Pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=a74a7042d5

Last edited by HunterSFO; Sep 27, 2009 at 8:23 pm
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara last night, not too impressed, will not be back. Most of the comments on here are accurate but I'm confused why would a hotel in the heart of Silicon Valley with high tech titans such as Yahoo, Google, Cisco System down the street have poor internet service. T-mobile hot spot was, ok to slow, low bandwidth, took for ever from some sites to load. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with CS to try to get it to work faster, no luck. Front Desk was no help at all, gave me the deer in the headlights look. BTW brand new MacBook Pro no problems at any hotel the past month. Was unable to get work done, so I checked out went to a Hyatt Place in Fremont where the wireless service worked like a charm. Dear Hyatt if your going to have a hotel in the high tech capital of the world it should provide top of the line, hassle free internet service.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Oct 4, 2009 at 12:08 pm
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:56 pm
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara last night, not too impressed, will not be back. Most of the comments on here are accurate but I'm confused why would a hotel in the heart of Silicon Valley with high tech titans such as Yahoo, Google, Cisco System down the street have poor internet service. T-mobile hot spot was, ok to slow, low bandwidth, took for ever from some sites to load. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with CS to try to get it to work faster, no luck. Front Desk was no help at all, gave me the deer in the headlights look. BTW brand new MacBook Pro no problems at any hotel the past month. Was unable to get work done, so I checked out went to a Hyatt Place in Fremont where the wireless service worked like a charm. Dear Hyatt if your going to have a hotel in the high tech capital of the world it should provide top of the line, hassle free internet service.
Stayed at both HR Santa Clara and HP Fremont for many times. I found t-mobile at Santa Clara was pretty good, actually it's faster than the internet at Fremont. Some rooms at Santa Clara have poor t-mobile signals, I belive you were unfortunately in one of these rooms.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Thanks for you feed back
FYI: the Hyatt Place, Fremont just completed an upgrade of it's wi-fi, increasing the bandwidth. It was noticeably much faster than Santa Clara. This is something the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara needs to work on. On top of that the network port on the desk DID NOT WORK! I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with T-Mobile trying to trouble shoot this, to no success. Front desk was useless, should have let me known it might work better in another room, and ask if I wanted to move.

But bottom line... there is really no excuse for a hotel located in Silicon Valley, just blocks from Yahoo, Google, and other tech companies to have such spotty wi-fi. Out of all the Hyatt's I've stayed at it was the worst, it should have been the best.

Originally Posted by YYC
Stayed at both HR Santa Clara and HP Fremont for many times. I found t-mobile at Santa Clara was pretty good, actually it's faster than the internet at Fremont. Some rooms at Santa Clara have poor t-mobile signals, I belive you were unfortunately in one of these rooms.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:13 am
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Very interesting that I had the totally opposite experience then you did.

Am posting this at HP Fremont, the internet is extremely slow, e.g. it took me about 1 min to open a flyertalk page. I found t-mobile at HR Santa Clara generally pretty fast and stable.

However I do agree the FD could have done better by offering alternatives, although I found them generally quite friendly and helpful.

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Thanks for you feed back
FYI: the Hyatt Place, Fremont just completed an upgrade of it's wi-fi, increasing the bandwidth. It was noticeably much faster than Santa Clara. This is something the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara needs to work on. On top of that the network port on the desk DID NOT WORK! I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with T-Mobile trying to trouble shoot this, to no success. Front desk was useless, should have let me known it might work better in another room, and ask if I wanted to move.

But bottom line... there is really no excuse for a hotel located in Silicon Valley, just blocks from Yahoo, Google, and other tech companies to have such spotty wi-fi. Out of all the Hyatt's I've stayed at it was the worst, it should have been the best.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by YYC
Am posting this at HP Fremont, the internet is extremely slow, e.g. it took me about 1 min to open a flyertalk page
I've done 3-4 weekend stays there the last few weeks and it's zipped along on the weekends. Could it be because of a higher demand on the weekday side?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I also stayed at HR Santa Clara and HP Fremont this past weekend. I found HR Santa Clara's internet to be MUCH faster than HP Fremont. I also stayed at another HP in Ohio last week and it appears that wireless internet is very slow at night (I assume when most people are using it). On the other hand, I had no problem with T-Mobile at HR Santa Clara.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by HunterSFO
At checkout found out I was charged for internet. They said it's because it's t-mobile and that only wired is free for diamonds. She happily took it off my bill though when I questioned it.
I ran into the same thing last night. I noticed the power strip on the counter top in front of the windows, and I guess one of those plugs was actually an ethernet connection. They took the T-Mobile off for me, too, and mentioned the cable for wired was in a draw somewhere.

The best thing about breakfast this morning was a bowl of fresh berries they had out: strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Nice to have that to round out my hot breakfast (they have scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, bacon, potatoes and pancakes on the hot buffet section).

I had a 14th floor room (top floor) overlooking Great America Parkway. Two photos here and the rest linked below:

Last edited by tom911; Oct 25, 2009 at 5:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
I'm at this property again mattress running. I'm stunned by the points for this stay:

3000 for "The Next Big Thing"
2500 for "regency club closed on weekends"
2000 for "g2 bonus"
1000 for "Diamond Ammenity"
400 points for the stay
100 points for 25% diamond bonus
_______
9000 points total for a $79 stay!!!
then factor in the costco cert and it's $69

you still get access to the regency club, but they aren't putting out food other than cookies. Sodas/juice/coffee/tea are available self-serve 24 hours which is really nice. Free hot breakfast available at Tresca

great room on the top floor. wired internet is fast (cable in the drawer in the nightstand.) Plenty of HD channels on the tv. Robes provided in the room. I like the light airy scandinavian style decoration.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by HunterSFO
I'm at this property again mattress running. I'm stunned by the points for this stay:

3000 for "The Next Big Thing"
2500 for "regency club closed on weekends"
2000 for "g2 bonus"
1000 for "Diamond Ammenity"
400 points for the stay
100 points for 25% diamond bonus
_______
9000 points total for a $79 stay!!!
then factor in the costco cert and it's $69

you still get access to the regency club, but they aren't putting out food other than cookies. Sodas/juice/coffee/tea are available self-serve 24 hours which is really nice. Free hot breakfast available at Tresca

great room on the top floor. wired internet is fast (cable in the drawer in the nightstand.) Plenty of HD channels on the tv. Robes provided in the room. I like the light airy scandinavian style decoration.
I've stayed there on weekends and never had a whiff of the 2500 points for "Regency Club closed on weekends." Is this something new or recent? The T&C that applies states "During periods of high demand access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge may not be available; therefore, complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest and 2,500 bonus points will be given. " It doesn't say anything about weekends.

UPDATE: I called the hotel directly. And you're right, they do give 2500 points as compensation for the RC being closed on Fri, Sat and Sun stays. The agent I spoke wasn't clear when this started.

Last edited by bp888; Dec 19, 2009 at 7:38 pm Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.