Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Please note that I just moved 14 posts over to the Costco Check Cert thread from here since it really discusses the eligibility of the certs and not really specific to this property.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Stayed here on a past weekend. Can't beat the low weekend rates + 2500 regency club bonus + regency club is actually open with limited snacks + free breakfast in the lounge.

Was given a top floor room (14th) with a SE view, of part of the nearby amusement park and also SJC - although throughout my stay the takeoff route took the planes directly over the hotel. I liked the room which had a lot of floor space and a big desk against the window although I would have preferred a real closet. Also, I found the bathroom a bit cramped. Wired internet is available; billed to the room and was of course credited. Refrigerator in the room is always a plus.

Unfortunately the connecting door is not well sealed and the neighbors had a pretty noisy kid so that was a big negative to the stay. Most of the time I could hear everything that the kid was saying. The hallway noise is also quite audible in the rooms, and I was occasionally woken by people talking as they walked down the hall.

My other complaints are that the RC only has a water dispenser and not bottled water (although they do have soda cans and juice bottles), and the service in the TusCA lounge during breakfast was poor. The buffet was out of eggs when I got there and still not replaced when I left about 25 minutes later, and I had to wait a long time to get my check. I was tempted to order a side of eggs despite having selected the buffet option, but decided not to make a big deal about it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Stayed here on a past weekend. Can't beat the low weekend rates + 2500 regency club bonus + regency club is actually open with limited snacks + free breakfast in the lounge.

Was given a top floor room (14th) with a SE view, of part of the nearby amusement park and also SJC - although throughout my stay the takeoff route took the planes directly over the hotel. I liked the room which had a lot of floor space and a big desk against the window although I would have preferred a real closet. Also, I found the bathroom a bit cramped. Wired internet is available; billed to the room and was of course credited. Refrigerator in the room is always a plus.

Unfortunately the connecting door is not well sealed and the neighbors had a pretty noisy kid so that was a big negative to the stay. Most of the time I could hear everything that the kid was saying. The hallway noise is also quite audible in the rooms, and I was occasionally woken by people talking as they walked down the hall.

My other complaints are that the RC only has a water dispenser and not bottled water (although they do have soda cans and juice bottles), and the service in the TusCA lounge during breakfast was poor. The buffet was out of eggs when I got there and still not replaced when I left about 25 minutes later, and I had to wait a long time to get my check. I was tempted to order a side of eggs despite having selected the buffet option, but decided not to make a big deal about it.
what was your rate, by the way? wondering if you had issues with the COSTCO rate that people are mentioning.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by FatB
what was your rate, by the way? wondering if you had issues with the COSTCO rate that people are mentioning.
I did not use the Costco rate. I have a different code, but I always check the public web prepaid rate as well, and IIRC it was $89.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:44 pm

If you get the buffet, you're able to have cooked to order eggs. Omelettes are available as part of the buffet. I've done the omelette twice. The first time it was good. The second time, it was quite oily/greasy and it was not that great. Anyway, just letting you know that you are not limited to the scrambled eggs that are out there with the rest of the buffet.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
This time I added exactly $5.40 to breakfast bill, and nothing appeared on my room bill -- didn't really need extra on the room bill, as I was taking the AA miles this time and wouldn't earn any points beyond the 2500 Closed Club and 1000 Diamond amenity!
Originally Posted by benmaller
My experience has been that the tip is added automatically on vouchers that indicate that gratuity is included. However, the safest method would be as you mention. Add a reasonable tip (on your bill, not in cash) to insure that server receives the tip and any overage from the standard tip will be added to your bill. I do this unless the server specifically tells me that gratuity is included.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Recency Club Open?

Quick question. How can one tell whether the Recency Club will be open or not (or soft open) during a certain weekend? I like to have full breakfast at the TusCA (vs continental at the Recency club), but hate having to call to ask the FD. Thanks~~
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by coterie
Quick question. How can one tell whether the Recency Club will be open or not (or soft open) during a certain weekend? I like to have full breakfast at the TusCA (vs continental at the Recency club), but hate having to call to ask the FD. Thanks~~
When check in you could ask FD if the RC open or closed
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
In the RC, the refrigerator under the counter with the coffee machine has bottled water.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:38 pm

From the hotel website:

Club Hours of Operation: Complimentary Continental Breakfast Tuesday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Complimentary coffee service Tuesday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Cocktails & hors d'oeurves Monday through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Beer, wine, champagne, & mixed drinks for a fee. Snacks served throughout the day. Regency Club Lounge is closed from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Guests staying on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights will be given breakfast coupons to the restaurant.

It doesn't say anything about exceptions to certain weekends so you're fine. Also, as already mentioned, you could confirm this at check-in. The FD agent will usually make you aware of the weekend lounge closure as well.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by kenbo
It doesn't say anything about exceptions to certain weekends so you're fine. Also, as already mentioned, you could confirm this at check-in. The FD agent will usually make you aware of the weekend lounge closure as well.
The OP is probably considering the comments earlier in this thread that occasionally the hotel has a conference for which they will keep the lounge open over the weekend, thus denying mattress runners the 2500 GP points they're hoping for.

I'd say call the front desk in advance, and phrase the question like you're hoping that the lounge will be open, which is a more normal thing for a hotel guest to be asking.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Originally Posted by isocblrg
The OP is probably considering the comments earlier in this thread that occasionally the hotel has a conference for which they will keep the lounge open over the weekend, thus denying mattress runners the 2500 GP points they're hoping for.

I'd say call the front desk in advance, and phrase the question like you're hoping that the lounge will be open, which is a more normal thing for a hotel guest to be asking.
Bingo. Well put isocblrg. Exactly what happened last time, but today we have the points. Although the hotel is pretty crowded today, RC is closed. Now I have to ponder when I will be doing the FFN in Carmel.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:09 am
DH

Now I have to ponder when I will be doing the FFN in Carmel.
This is one of my favorite property for mattress run as I can rack up at least 3,500 GP points per weekend stay. BTW, I already have FFN reservation ready at Highland Inn for July 4th weekend.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by DH
This is one of my favorite property for mattress run as I can rack up at least 3,500 GP points per weekend stay. BTW, I already have FFN reservation ready at Highland Inn for July 4th weekend.
Good use of FFN enjoy the stay and the beautiful weather there.

Hope not many Diamond know this Jewel, so we could get townhouse when we stay there.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:49 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Stay Report

I have made use of the offer for a six month trial of Platinum Status and stayed there back in April 2010. Though I am relatively new to Hyatt, I have had some experience as guest of Platinums and Diamonds in the past. Nevertheless, I have to admit, that I was somehow impressed by the service of staff, attentive and friendly they were compared with other chains.

It seems, that it was a good start for my upcoming stays at Hyatt.

Here is the report (FYI: Pictures are on my homepage, link is below report)

Arrival Date: 28 April 2010
Departure Date: 29 April 2010
Room type booked: Kind Room (got Business Plan)
Rate Plan: AAA Rate
Room Number: 1201
Room Rate: 143.20 USD (excluding taxes)

Status of Guest Program: Platinum

I arrived at the hotel around 16:20 and parked my rental car on the parking lot in front of the hotel, which is free of charge for the use by hotels guest. I approached one of the four check in desks, the designated check in desk for Platinum and Diamond Gold Passport Members were busy checking in other guests. I was welcomed at Hyatt Hotels and addressed by name. I was informed that I received an upgrade to a Business Room which came with free internet, free full breakfast in the hotel restaurant and pressing of a short or blouse. This was in fact the upgrade I had requested using the website for a an upgrade at check in. Of course it was nice, that I received it for free. I was also informed about the bonus points and of opening hours and location of gym and pool. I was explained how to reach my room, but was not accompanied to my room. Not a big problem and not expected.

My room was located on the 12th floor and far away from the elevator, exactly as I had put it in my profile. My first stay in a Hyatt Hotel was beginning quite good.

The room had more or the less the standard appearance of a hotel room
More or less, because one is right in the room. There is not really a hallway as one is accessing the room. On the left side right on the wall to the corridor was the open closet for jackets and a place to put your carry on.

On the right side was the sliding room to the bathroom with bath, toilet and sink.
The bathroom was newly renovated and modern, but a little bit of the dark side, however not that bad as the Marriott in Munich. A big mirror was placed behind the modern sink. The hair-dryer was placed in a bag and placed under the sink, Bathroom Amenities were the standard ones of Hyatt (Gingerbread).
The shower head was okay as was the shower curtain.
A bathrobe but no slippers were provided for the use by the guest.

The room was of average to larger size.

The room had a king bed on the left side. Two bedside tables with reading lamps on it. An iPod docking station was placed on the right bedside table but a mp3-player could also be connected to it. A lounge chair in the 70ies retro design was placed in front of the window.

Along the window was a a board which doubles also as working desk, so plenty of space to work. A power outlet with LAN connection was also available. In addition W-LAN powered by T-Mobile was available throughout the hotel as well. On the desk was also a cordless phone and a lamp. So working was not a problem, since the desk chair was quite comfortable.

The iron and ironing board were stored in a separate board at the wall on the left side.

The furniture in the room was okay, very modern and the style was nice. There were barely any scratches or stains visible. The design was definitively a change from the average hotel room decoration, though it appeared to be hotel room design. Anyway, it was a design I liked from the first moment as I entered the hotel room and this was not only because it was my first stay in a Hyatt Hotel.

The breakfast was served in the restaurant and it was an American buffet with hot items like hashed potatoes, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, cold items like cheese, jam, marmalade, fresh fruit and yoghurt, pastries, cereals. Tee and coffee were brought to the table by staff. The staff was of average attentiveness – it could take some time before the clean used tables, but they were friendly. The quality of the food was also okay.

Check out was fast, the bill was adjusted, since the Internet was on it, but I was already informed during check in that this might happen. I was also asked if everything was okay.

I have to admit I am impressed after my first stay in a Hyatt Hotel. It was for sure a good idea to use the trial Platinum offer. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, status recognition was good and this for a mid tier level which is easy to achieve if you are based in the US, where Hyatt Hotels are not that expensive compared to the ones in Europe. The hotel offered everything I needed and the rate was not that expensive. I will definitively stay at the Hyatt again if I am in this area.

As usual pictures and a short video (needs Media Player Plugin) of my room and the hotel overview could be found on my homepage (click here for report)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.