Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by tom911
If you head over to McCarthy Ranch there's a bunch of restaurants including a Macaroni Grill and an In N Out Burger. It's right off 237 just before 880 in Milpitas. Maybe a 10-12 minute drive. I've stopped there a number of times over the years when visiting that area.
http://www.gomilpitas.com/McCarthyRanch/restaurants.htm
Also, about 10 mins in the other direction is Rivermark Plaza - kind of upscale strip mall with a Piatti restaurant (suggest making a reservation during the week) + other dining options.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm surprised about service in the restaurant. I've only done breakfast there and have always had excellent service at that time of day. Even sent a note to Hyatt last visit about the outstanding service I received there.
The service by the waiters has always been good in my experience. It's the guys who refill the drinks where it's been sketchy. One time my wife and I both needed refills on our OJ and the guy with the OJ went to the table to our right and filled up their glasses, walked right past us and then went to the table on our left. We were sitting against the wall. We both still had food on our plates so it's not like we were done.

Another time they ran out of OJ in the pitcher while they were refilling my glass and then never came to fill it back up. My glass wasn't even half full.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is, however, certainly true that the immediate area of this Hyatt is pretty restaurant-barren. If you follow the trolley tracks west, you will pass a large, very average Italian restaurant and then come to a strip mall with some smaller places. Or you can go south, perpendicular to the tracks and come to another strip mall with a few places and an IHOP across the street. Nothing at all notable in the whole group.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:34 pm

nothing too exciting, but there is the AMC Mercado complex nearby just off of 101 (kinda, its behind Mission College)... some quick eats: In N' Out, Mexicali (not so bueno), Tomatina, Sushi place etc.

There's also a Birk's and a Bennigan's somewhere around here.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by myperks
nothing too exciting, but there is the AMC Mercado complex nearby just off of 101 (kinda, its behind Mission College)... some quick eats: In N' Out, Mexicali (not so bueno), Tomatina, Sushi place etc.

There's also a Birk's and a Bennigan's somewhere around here.
Birk's (very good) and Pedro's (fairly average) are both on Freedom Circle (off Mission College and sortof behind the Marriott. Only a couple minutes from the Hyatt.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If your looking for a quick eats these places mention in the thread are good to ok. If you have a car and don't mind a 15 minute drive or jumping on the light rail for a 20 -25 minute ride, I highly recommend a trip to downtown Mountain View located 7 miles from the hotel. It's a nice downtown area with a wide selection of international restaurants all located around Castro Street west of the Cal Train Station. Many places offer outdoor seating which is nice during those warm summer evenings.

Mexican - La Fiesta ( try grandma's enchiladas "YUMMY")
Vietnamese - Xanh Restaurant
Wine Bar - Savvy Cellar
Iris Pub - Sports Bar - Stephens Green
Indian - Sakoon
and more...

I think it's worth the trip as most of the places located by the hotel are chains and not pretty exciting.

Originally Posted by benmaller
Birk's (very good) and Pedro's (fairly average) are both on Freedom Circle (off Mission College and sortof behind the Marriott. Only a couple minutes from the Hyatt.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
What are the best ways to go from SFO to this property?
Given the 2500 point bonus for the closed lounge over the weekend I am thinking of going there rather than staying at the SFO HR.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Given the 2500 point bonus for the closed lounge over the weekend I am thinking of going there rather than staying at the SFO HR.
South 101. Exit great america parkway... go east about ~1 mile.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by austin_modern
South 101. Exit great america parkway... go east about ~1 mile.
I mean without a car
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I mean without a car
I was giving walking directions.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:55 am

I mean without a car
IMHO

cheapest: take CalTrain to Santa Clara station, take free VTA to Airport, take hotel shuttle.

second cheapest and faster: take Monterey Airbus from SFO to SJC and take hotel shuttle.

you can probably mix it up with some short taxi rides somewhere in between.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
You could take Bart to Caltrain to the light rail (here's one possible route from Google Maps), but it will take a long while....
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
When are you flying in? Weekend or Weekday? You have to be careful with CAL TRAIN as some of the express trains skip Santa Clara. Another good way via transit is to take the CAL Train to Mt. View. Cross the tracks to transfer to Santa Clara VTA Light Rail toward Winchester. The light rail stops across the street from the hotel via the Old Ironside or Great America Station. It's about a 20 minute LTR ride from Mt. View to the hotel, single ride is $2.

Originally Posted by myperks
IMHO

cheapest: take CalTrain to Santa Clara station, take free VTA to Airport, take hotel shuttle.

second cheapest and faster: take Monterey Airbus from SFO to SJC and take hotel shuttle.

you can probably mix it up with some short taxi rides somewhere in between.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
I was giving walking directions.
Hmmm sounds like some of the experimental walking directions Google maps used to give... walk on 101 for 25 miles

Not sure if the lady who followed such directions to the letter and then sued Google won her case
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all due respect you've got to be utterly nuts to go to Santa Clara without a car if you fly in and out of SFO.. And it will cost you more than 2500 pts is worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.