Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Quick question (apologies if this is obvious, but I need to confirm!):

Is the entrance to the LGW Hilton on the same level as the covered walkway connecting it to South Terminal?

Also, is there a cart pickup/dropoff point on the hotel side - I'm going to be with an elderly relation, and while they will be fine walking, I will need to use a baggage cart to get everything from the hotel to the check-in desk in one go (I thikn there will be 6-8 pieces in total!).

Planning to use my Amex travel credit for 2015 towards the room cost, I don't have any status with Hilton, but value ease of access to South terminal highest in this particular case!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
You can do it all whilst pushing/pulling luggage yes. There's a one-floor hop up in the lift in a car park about half way through.

And yes take a cart with you. I seem to remember a load of them parked just as you get to the Hilton entrance, but otherwise there's doors to car parks in that corridor so there's bound to be a place to put them.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
As you exit the Hilton into a covered walkway that descends one level there are (or should be) luggage trolleys available as you enter the walkway. Hotel staff will transport your baggage from your room to the trolleys is you request this.

As said previously, if you follow the covered walkway it will descend you one level. At the end of the walkway you must turn right and take a lift back up one level. You then cross the road and enter another covered walkway (with travelator) which will take you to south terminal. With an elderly person I would take this route as the first walkway has a hand rail.

A quicker route, upon entering the walkway, is to take the first exit on the right. This will lead you into the carpark on the same level as the terminal. On leaving the walkway, turn left and just walk through the carpark to the road, cross it and enter second walkway.

This route is considerably quicker than messing around with a lift or the stairs besides the lifts.

Last edited by groundops; Nov 28, 2015 at 6:00 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by groundops
A quicker route, upon entering the walkway, is to take the first exit on the right. This will lead you into the carpark on the same level as the terminal. On leaving the walkway, turn left and just walk through the carpark to the road, cross it and enter second walkway.

This route is considerably quicker than messing around with a lift or the stairs besides the lifts.
It's not quite the first on the right (this is for when leaving the hotel), that is a stairwell down into the car park, the one you need is slightly further on, with a hanging green fire exit sign, and as you open the door you see the car park on a flat level. About 10 metres on from the hotel main door.

From the airport, you can use this route just after passing the smokers' area - it is Zone B of the carpark, just bearing a little leftwards. There are often motorbikes parked in this area. Just walk towards the entrance barrier then bear right into the same fire door as mentioned above.

And yes, it certainly beats using the lifts!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not quite the first on the right (this is for when leaving the hotel), that is a stairwell down into the car park, the one you need is slightly further on, with a hanging green fire exit sign, and as you open the door you see the car park on a flat level. About 10 metres on from the hotel main door.

From the airport, you can use this route just after passing the smokers' area - it is Zone B of the carpark, just bearing a little leftwards. There are often motorbikes parked in this area. Just walk towards the entrance barrier then bear right into the same fire door as mentioned above.

And yes, it certainly beats using the lifts!
Thank you CWS.

I would guestimate the exit as 30-60m after leaving Hilton, on the right.

I only stay at LGW Hilton 5-6 nights a year so am no expert!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
You're pretty spot on! I only happened to find out about it whilst using Gatwick Assistance for my Step-Father last year. It makes a huge difference going through the car park. I've stayed here many, many times, it feels like a second home sometimes and I don't why I didn't work out that route for myself

Originally Posted by groundops
Thank you CWS.

I would guestimate the exit as 30-60m after leaving Hilton, on the right.

I only stay at LGW Hilton 5-6 nights a year so am no expert!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I stayed at Gatwick on weekend. Booked basic room, was upgraded to deluxe pre-checking. Got the room I chose online. Unfortunately room smelled of cigarettes so had to go back all the way to reception to ask for another room. I got complimentary upgrade to executive room but I didn't have a chance to use any perks as it was too late.

Also got voucher for drink at the bar. Bar was crowded and only table free was one under the leaking roof.

I don't think I will be coming back unless there's no other choice.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, I've had a couple of bad experiences, I've always asked to speak to the manager and have had a good response from them in terms of resolving any issues.

I stay here quite often and find they are consistently good. I do find it odd that they are able to provide smoking rooms, it may not be official though, quite often you can smell smoke in the corridors at the 'back' of the hotel, which isn't very pleasant.

The only times I find that they begin to
Struggle is when they are full, especially when flights have been cancelled. It's a big property and I guess most hotels would struggle in that scenario.

It is a good hotel and suits my needs very well. The Hampton at the North Terminal is good, but obviously does not provide the same facilities.

I would email the hotel explaining the issues you faced, I would be surprised if they didn't come back with a positive response and try and put things right the next time you stay with them.

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I stayed at Gatwick on weekend. Booked basic room, was upgraded to deluxe pre-checking. Got the room I chose online. Unfortunately room smelled of cigarettes so had to go back all the way to reception to ask for another room. I got complimentary upgrade to executive room but I didn't have a chance to use any perks as it was too late.

Also got voucher for drink at the bar. Bar was crowded and only table free was one under the leaking roof.

Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Currently in my room in LGW Hilton (night 2 of 2) over in the 'new' wing of the hotel. All clear this time (and last) but had this issue in May-15 with room; Hotel are very good at resolving and also had similar upgrade.

Great to see the 'short cut' over to the terminal via the car park well advertised.

Worth noting check in around 5pm is almost also crazy busy. We rocked up on Sunday and headed straight to the HH line and see straightaway.. much to upset of those in the regular line.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gimp
I'm sorry to hear that, I've had a couple of bad experiences, I've always asked to speak to the manager and have had a good response from them in terms of resolving any issues.
I didn't have bad stay, there's just nothing to write home about. My issue was resolved with new room and upgrade to exec. If I ever stay there again, I will make sure to avoid back of the hotel where smoking rooms are on 2nd floor.

I think Sofitel is better choice. I'm based in London so I'm not staying too often in local airport hotels.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
It's definitely not worth staying here unless you're going to be in an Exec room, but you should get pre-upgraded if you have HH status. The rooms are not amazing but perfectly acceptable for the usually good prices, and the bathrooms are nice, full-size rooms with baths.
Head straight for the Exec lounge to check in on arrival by taking a right turn down the corridor as you're about to walk into the Hilton atrium, then follow the signs to the rooms numbered 7xxx until you reach the lifts in the newer wing.
The lounge got a big thumbs up from me for having tonnes of vaguely decent champagne available both in the evening and at breakfast!

Last edited by Foltan; Dec 2, 2015 at 1:59 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum

I have had 3 stays in the hilton at LGW south in the last 6 weeks. They upgraded me to the deluxe room in the new wing.The new wing is nice but the view was of the courtyard every time.. The mobile phone signals are not great in the lower floors in the new wing though.

The Breakfast is pretty good IMHO though the eggs can be a bit dry.

The bar can be very busy if there are lots of flight cancellations etc. I usually use my drink vouchers and grab a bottle of peroni and have it in my room if the bar is a zoo.

PS: Also note that one should not confuse this property for the Hampton by Hilton at the North terminal.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We were really impressed by this hotel. We had an evening flight arriving from RAK and didnt fancy the M25 after a few drinks on the flight. Took about 10-15 minutes from North Terminal and long queue at check in. Waited by the HHonors check in and were called over immediately - not sure how popular that was!?

Upgraded to an Exec room which was perfectly fine and made our way to the lounge. The bar was closed but the very nice lounge dragon fetched us some drinks and had a chat with us. The room was very comfortable and quiet so ticked all of my boxes.

Breakfast in the lounge was good and the staff were amazingly friendly.

Looking forward to our next stay in 3 weeks.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:58 am

I stay here a lot and as I mentioned a few posts ago, I have had consistently good stays. The Exec rooms are the ones to go for and if lucky enough to be upgraded to one, the suites are really quite good. The standard rooms are pretty dire.

If you have lounge access anyway I'd recommend that you skip the main reception and check-in in the lounge, although it sounds as though you were lucky with your arrival and didn't have to wait for long in the HHonors line. I have been stuck in some very long queues, especially when the lounge is closed.

If you are Diamond you do have the option of taking the full breakfast in the restaurant at no extra charge, I don't know whether this applies specifically to the status level or whether you just need to be in an Exec room?

I agree, the lounge is nice and the staff are second to none.

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
We were really impressed by this hotel. We had an evening flight arriving from RAK and didnt fancy the M25 after a few drinks on the flight. Took about 10-15 minutes from North Terminal and long queue at check in. Waited by the HHonors check in and were called over immediately - not sure how popular that was!?

Upgraded to an Exec room which was perfectly fine and made our way to the lounge. The bar was closed but the very nice lounge dragon fetched us some drinks and had a chat with us. The room was very comfortable and quiet so ticked all of my boxes.

Breakfast in the lounge was good and the staff were amazingly friendly.

Looking forward to our next stay in 3 weeks.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Had a 1 night stay in early december.

Check in at the front desk was quick and was upgraded to an executive room with lounge access.

The room was fine for a one night stay with it being quiet and dark and good a/c. It is a little bit of a walk along the corridors from the lobby lifts/elevators to the wing where my room was

The lounge was very good with good staff and snacks just before closing and a good breakfast selection.

The fitness room in the lobby (you pass it as you enter the hotel from the terminal) is a little basic but was fine for a work out

Overall a good stay.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.