Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:52 pm

I had my first 5 guys burger this weekend! Had to drive 25 min to try it, but it's worth it.

I think, although the toppings sound like a lot, they only put a little bit of each topping, so it's really not that much - load up as much toppings as you desire!

The hotdog is much nicer than burger, but that's just me :P I really, really like the hotdog.

Peanuts were on trash - whats up with that? Nobody is going to eat the peanuts on trash can.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:55 pm

Discovered Five Guys last year and since then they have opened several new locations in our area. Not sure anyone can compare to In N Out but Five Guys is still great!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by luvtravl
Discovered Five Guys last year and since then they have opened several new locations in our area. Not sure anyone can compare to In N Out but Five Guys is still great!
Two years ago I had a pretty good opportunity to try both in the same 24 hour period, courtesy of an SBA->LAX->DCA->MHT flight I did. Had my In-N-Out (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaszeta/468608797) in Goleta, and the next day's lunch at 5G in DCA (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaszeta/469886954/), which made for a fresher and non-nostalgic-tainted comparison.

For the burger, I like Five Guys slightly better when done right, but they are very sloppy at Five Guys, so I usually have to give the edge to In-N-Out. Sometimes the burger is right on target, and sometimes it's way too greasy, or for some inexplicable reason it's been squished. But, in general, I usually get a good burger there. 5G burgers definitely aren't very easy to photograph, they usually look like greasy buns wrapped in foil.

I like the In-N-Out as well, but to me, In-N-Out is like someone took McDonalds and redid the whole concept, doing it right the second time. The burgers are very good (but not as good as 5G's on a good day), and they are very, very consistent (my bun is always well toasted, the sandwich carefully assembled (most of my In-N-Out burgers *look* like their marketing materials. How many places can you say that about?). The employees are happy and efficient. It's not *quite* as good a burger, but they seem to get the overall concept right.

For fries? No comparison. 5G is much, much better than In-N-Out. I actually don't like the In-N-Out fries that much, probably since I've been spoiled by too many trips to BeNeLux countries.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by kaszeta
In-N-Out is like someone took McDonalds and redid the whole concept, doing it right the second time.
Interestingly, if you look at the chains' websites, both McDonalds and In-N-Out started selling burgers in 1948. But the McDonald brothers got bought out by Ray Kroc who took the chain public and global, while In-N-Out remains family owned and geographically limited.

Last edited by greggwiggins; Jun 16, 2009 at 7:48 am
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Interestingly, if you look at the chains' websites, both McDonalds and In-N-Out started selling burgers in 1948. But the McDonald brothers got bought out by Ray Kroc who took the chain public and global, while In-N-Out remains family owned and geographically limited.
But you have to admit, the In-N-Out story is much more fascinating. It's amazing how successful they've been despite all the family drama of drug addiction and religious fanaticism.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:49 pm

Tried it again. Not in the same leauge as In-N-Out.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC

But only because they don't have one close to me Burger was top notch!
Glad the chain listened to me. They are opening one ten minutes away. Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So, can you use your power of persuasion to get one up here? (I mean, heck, they have one in Kalispell, MT!)

I ate at 5G in CVG on Tuesday night. Mmm! I quote my post over in the INO thread:
Originally Posted by jackal
Not to be too OT, but I finally had my first taste of Five Guys during a road trip from NYC to CHI last week. Having grown up in California and on In-N-Out, I have to say I was absolutely blown away by how much better Five Guys was--thick, meaty patties, great seasonings, and awesome thick, seasoned fries (especially when covered in malt vinegar). I enjoy In-N-Out on occasion, but the thin patties, overbearing tangy sauce, and wimpy, undercooked fries just don't compare to Five Guys.

Five Guys: Five Times as good as In-N-Out!(tm)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Enjoy!

I'm actually thrilled that the closest one to me is a 70 mile RT or my current diet would go TILT.

Originally Posted by jackal
Five Guys: Five Times as good as In-N-Out!(tm)
Agreed 100%.

Where's the linkage between In 'n Out and Five Guys ??

That's like comparing Beyonce to Lassie IMO.

Last edited by Cholula; Sep 20, 2009 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
:................That's like comparing Beyonce to Lassie IMO.
Get ready for incoming missiles from the FT OMNI PC crowd..............<ducking>.

MisterNice
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'm amazed at their expansion... I thought they were just on the East Coast and midwest- looks like they are moving into WA and ACA
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OMG, this place is so freaking good - puts In-n-Out and all the rest to SHAME. My stomach growls just thinking about their cheeseburgers. They are that good. I go to the one on 55th Street in NYC. The fries are good, too, but only while hot, because they are sometimes a little undercooked, but everything is extremely fresh. As burgers go generally, this is not a cheap one, but just about the best value around - I have a menu here actually - Cheeseburger is currently $6.99, regular size fries is $3.29, all toppings are free, and include mayo, relish, mustard onions, tomatoes, green peppers, barbeque sauce, and a couple others, but you have to ask, they won't do it automatically. Is one cheeseburger enough - well, I have a big appetite but even I can't always finish. ^
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by anonplz
Is one cheeseburger enough - well, I have a big appetite but even I can't always finish. ^
No

It is almost when one goes for the large cajun fries

I am not sure how it would be possible, but would be cool if one could order a 4x4 at Five Guys... well- not a true 4x4 but perhaps a little more meat
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:58 am

Will be in ATL in Dec

I will be going to ATL in early dec and will definitely give Five Guys a try. Being a native Californian, I can compare the two.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by V6Lover
I will be going to ATL in early dec and will definitely give Five Guys a try. Being a native Californian, I can compare the two.
I will be dining at one tonight! I have a Californian in town that lost a bet on the Yankees vs Angels series. She is about to lose another bet on 5 Guys vs In-N-Out!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.