Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:42 pm

I used to go medium well, but my texan wife had me try rare. I am sticking with medium.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by nkedel
Bull. A business doesn't "feel" anything, and if they can't get it right, it's either a matter of unprofessionality or laziness on the part of the kitchen staff. Either way, it will really come down to a matter of not getting enough of those requests from customers who CARE about a good well-done steak for it to be in the management's interest to make sure they get it right.

Well, if they've fouled it up badly enough, you can get a new steak and start over...

I haven't tried Alfred's; thanks for the recommendation.
"Businesses" don't feel, but people do and it is the people who do the cooking who either might feel that overcooking a steak is bad or is afraid to overcook an expensive steak and then have to throw it away.

I would not send back an overcooked steak because I come from that generation that was exhorted to "clean our plates because of starving children in India". I hate wasting food, so I would eat it, but maybe not go back to the restaurant depending on previous experiences.

I am not sure "good" and "well done steak" go together since cooking that long cooks out a lot of the fat, which is where a lot of the flavor comes from.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Medium was perfection at Merrimans at Waimea, Big Island last night. Probably the best NY I've ever tasted.. accompanied with two different type of fish dishes. Fabulous.^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Steak

Thick and blue, English mustard and thick cut chips.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:39 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Medium was perfection at Merrimans at Waimea, Big Island last night. Probably the best NY I've ever tasted.. accompanied with two different type of fish dishes. Fabulous.^
No one can accuse you of not eating well whist in the Islands, A.M.

While Hawaii is not known for great steaks, one of my favorite steak houses in the world happens to be on Oahu. See your PM. I'll expand on my fave...

Hy's Steak House in Waikiki. YOW! Awesome.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So.. you like Ruth's Chris eh?

I was wondering since you're a fitness buff.. what you thought about Ruth's method of preperation, and their use of butter?
I like Ruth Chris but I'm not crazy about the butter, either. Last year I got to try several of the steak places in and around Arlington VA and I'd probably rank them as follows:

Mortons
Rays the Steaks
Ruth Chris
Capitol Grille
Clydes

Only one I would probably make the effort to go back to would be Morton's.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
I am not sure "good" and "well done steak" go together since cooking that long cooks out a lot of the fat, which is where a lot of the flavor comes from.
I agree. Some people just can't get over that stigma of seeing any red in their steak at all so insist upon cooking it to death.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Soon
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:40 pm

Wow, I LOVE it rare. Blue, or even raw. It really depends where I am though. I don't think I would go for raw or blue in the US because I'm paranoid, but in Japan, I'm good.

Or I was until the accident...

There is Taijuen which is a chain yaki niku joint and they had beef sushi. Raw beef on rice with wasabi. TO. DIE. FOR.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by usagishouse
Wow, I LOVE it rare. Blue, or even raw. It really depends where I am though. I don't think I would go for raw or blue in the US because I'm paranoid, but in Japan, I'm good.

Or I was until the accident...

There is Taijuen which is a chain yaki niku joint and they had beef sushi. Raw beef on rice with wasabi. TO. DIE. FOR.
Aaaah, a friend just returned from Japan, and spoke very well of this "joint"
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
I'm blowing my own trumpet a tad but if you're looking to cook a fantastic steak at home, this is a great way...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:40 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink Only Way To Order It Is…

medium rare plus!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A friend of mine is coming in from out of town next week so we're planning a cook out to celebrate his arrival. The usual suspects will be present:

- My Father, the grill-master himself
- Tons of beer (IPAs and hop-heavy brews)
- New York Strip steaks from Whole Foods with choice marinades and seasoning
- Post dinner cigars

Should be a great night!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:36 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by CMK10
A friend of mine is coming in from out of town next week so we're planning a cook out to celebrate his arrival. The usual suspects will be present:

- My Father, the grill-master himself
- Tons of beer (IPAs and hop-heavy brews)
- New York Strip steaks from Whole Foods with choice marinades and seasoning
- Post dinner cigars

Should be a great night!
A manly man's night, indeed.

Add some Scotch and you're in the record books.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I agree. Some people just can't get over that stigma of seeing any red in their steak at all so insist upon cooking it to death.
IF the cook knows what they are doing, cooking a 'well done' steak is easy. It will almost as moist, flavorful and wonder to eat as a Medium/Med-Rare cooked steak. I've not seen Mortons, Saltgrass, Don Shula's refuse a well done order. Now I've seen waiters eyes roll out the door when asked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.