Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I like my steak with a little pink, but I can't stand my steak sitting in pool of blood when I cut it.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I like my steak with a little pink, but I can't stand my steak sitting in pool of blood when I cut it.
Sometimes my medium steak comes out medium rare-rare..

I'll eat that once in awhile without sending it back.. I don't mind a bit of red juice that looks like blood...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:45 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I don't mind a bit of red juice that looks like blood...
I don't mind the steak being red inside, but the blood on the plate causes me to lose my appetite.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Just found this in a grilling book, and it tasted wonderful. I will never go out for a steak again.

‎1/3 cup of sea salt, 2/3 cup of black pepper, 1/6 cup of each of the following: flour, garlic powder, oregano. Sprinkle lightly over a Rib-eye steak that is at least 1" think. Massage it in, flip it and repeat. Put the rest of the rub in an airtight container for next time. Let the steak sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Put it on the HOT grill for 6-7 minutes, flip it and cook for another 6-7 minutes. Watch for flare-ups. Rest the steak for 5-10 minutes and enjoy.

12 minutes is still a little pink in the middle.

Last edited by Gamecock; Aug 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't mind the steak being red inside, but the blood on the plate causes me to lose my appetite.
Maybe its just me.. I don't really equate the red as blood.. just a bit juicy with some red coming out..

Perhaps its gross.. but sure tastes like the steak is cooked.. and tender as well..
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe its just me.. I don't really equate the red as blood.. just a bit juicy with some red coming out..

Perhaps its gross.. but sure tastes like the steak is cooked.. and tender as well..
Jugoso I believe is the term for juicy, or how to order steak in Buenos Aries.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:31 pm

I will usually just order well done, especially when I'm in a foreign country. I can't take the risk of getting sick when in Mexico or someplace like that.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by deubster
How about from somewhere other than Applebee's?

The Mrs. has us both on a diet trying to fit into suits for an upcoming wedding. We get 1 night out per week if we don't go crazy. A client gave me a $25 gift card to Applebee's and the Mrs. discovered that they have an assortment of meals under 550 calories. OK, a couple are based on a 7-ounce sirloin, the rest are shrimp or salad. I figure, how bad could they mess up a sirloin?

Well, I found out. Pre-seasoned with some salty concoction, the "grill marks" have an off-putting chemical aftertaste, the steak was undercooked and still rubbery. The accompanying broccoli & carrots were nicely crunchy but also drenched in some salty, gelatinous solution.

Awful, just awful. It took several servings of ice cream to rid my mouth of the taste.
+1000 Applebees Steaks are something to be avoided. A Blondie? Now that's another story.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jugoso I believe is the term for juicy, or how to order steak in Buenos Aries.
I will usually just order well done, especially when I'm in a foreign country. I can't take the risk of getting sick when in Mexico or someplace like that.
We ate steaks onsite at Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya last month.. 2 out of 3 restaurants are 4 diamond.. and the other, run like a top similar restaurant but more on the casual side..

No problems eating their steaks.. none at all.. mmmm..
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:13 pm

We ate steaks onsite at Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya last month.
No problems eating their steaks.
With my luck and somewhat sensitive digestion, I still can't take the chance.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:54 pm
Suspended

With my luck and somewhat sensitive digestion, I still can't take the chance.
Gotcha..

Some people can't stand raw sushi/sashimi neither.. so yes if it is a health concern.. I would definitely have foods cooked completely right through.. my wife is this way as well, likes it completely well done.. nowadays she's ok with medium well.. so I can appreciate your preference to how steak should be cooked
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 am
uk1
Suspended

How long will it be before we carry probes with us and basically check the steak is done to how we specified. I cook to 128 degrees.

Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:19 am

Sometimes my medium steak comes out medium rare-rare..

I'll eat that once in awhile without sending it back.. I don't mind a bit of red juice that looks like blood...
That is why I started ordering medium well.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I understand variation between restaurants, but I dislike ordering the same steak from a single restaurant and getting vastly different temperatures. I generally order medium and am okay with anything along the medium rare to medium well continuum.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Love the picture you posted, uk1! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.