Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I had my steak sandwich today for lunch.. medium with HP sauce..

My wife's takeout steak sandwich was fully cooked through..
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:01 pm
uk1
Suspended

Pathetic.

Horseradish and English mustard mixed together next time.

HP!?

As it happens - my wife has just forced me to throw away the stock of HP I'd bought before they moved the HP factory. A day of scant consolation.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
HP!?

As it happens - my wife has just forced me to throw away the stock of HP I'd bought before they moved the HP factory. A day of scant consolation.
HP means House of Parliament.. IIRC politicians used this sauce on their steaks and the rest of the country caught on..

I've seen this sauce used in the states.. but then I've seen A1 more often then HP..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
HP means House of Parliament.. IIRC politicians used this sauce on their steaks and the rest of the country caught on..

I've seen this sauce used in the states.. but then I've seen A1 more often then HP..
The original recipe for HP Sauce was invented and developed by Harry Palmer, from whom the initials "H. P." derive. It was first known as "Harry Palmer's Famous Epsom Sauce"
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
@UK1

I like to use a mix of butter and oil for browning. Butter helps enhance the maillard reaction, in addition I lightly brush the steak with a glucose/baking soda/water solution to further enhance maillard.

I completely agree-SV is the way to go, I don't cook thick proteins any other way now.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:54 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdanton
@UK1

I like to use a mix of butter and oil for browning. Butter helps enhance the maillard reaction, in addition I lightly brush the steak with a glucose/baking soda/water solution to further enhance maillard.

I completely agree-SV is the way to go, I don't cook thick proteins any other way now.
Your post reminded me - very timely! Always best to butter the steak then add it to the pan. If you think of "blackened steak" it's pretty much the same approach. Heat a cast iron pan to searing hot - and just before you do the deed - a spoonfull of the oil and the buttered steak straight in! Lots of smoke.

Like you - all my proteins are pretty much SV - except kebabs! I also like steam cooking very fresh fish in a parcel.

I am however having some difficulty with poultry. I know it's pasteurised and theoretically completely safe - but every bone in me says that cannot bring myself to eat pink chicken.

I think most people have problems with SV in the mind - that's why kitchens don't advertise they use it too much. It means that you get perfect results from relatively inexperienced kitchen crews as the precise work is done in the bath.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:47 pm

Ribeye seasoned with salt & pepper; grilled crispy on the outside, medium rare on the inside, with a topping of jus, caramelized onions and sauteed porcini mushrooms and sides of grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.

Having that tonight, as a matter of fact.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I like my steak medium, bright pink in the center but warm throughout. In fact, last week I went to Ruths' Chris and ordered a steak medium done, it came out so well done that there was no pink to be had anywhere and it was dry. Being in a rush and tired I just accepted it (big mistake) and I wish I had just walked out. The manager wouldn't even come talk to me, so I had a nice long discussion with corporate. Lesson learned = complain if it's not just perfect.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by indianwells
The original recipe for HP Sauce was invented and developed by Harry Palmer, from whom the initials "H. P." derive. It was first known as "Harry Palmer's Famous Epsom Sauce"
Gotcha..

So eventually it seems the background of the House of Parliament gets stamped on the package.. I wonder the history with that?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to make something this weekend I haven't had in too long...steak and eggs! I may do the eggs in the steak grease instead of butter to make the meal extra bad for me
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:42 pm

I used to like medium well but then it seems like most places cook it WAY too done. As in no red whatsoever and little on dry side. Lately I've been getting "just medium" with some red and love it.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:48 pm
Suspended

My wife had the steak and shrimp tonite.. a must to have sauteed mushrooms sizzling in a pan on the side.. Yummy..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Has to be well done for me, preferably with some light seasoning and shoestring fries.

Have sent back "well done" steaks a few times that produce a stream of red on the first cut.... - this tends to be in mainland Europe - US & UK restaurants tend to be OK, although you do get a few raised eyebrows when ordering
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:46 am

Skirt steak marinated in chimichurri made fresh from the garden, cooked medium rare over coals from a hard wood fire.

Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:17 am

Medium well (I know, I know) with just salt and pepper.

Although I have had an amazing wasabi steak, but not sure if I could successfully recreate it at my home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.