Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
If I can do it as a mere housewife - why can a so- called professional chef not manage something as simple as that?? There is no need whatsoever to cook a steak so far that is is dry in the middle apart from total incompetence in the kitchen department.
I can think of two reasons:
1) because of regional differences and/or poor education, they could do it but would call it something less than well done (OTOH, I've been places where "well done" would still have a fair bit of pink - it's is a hazard of the language... where English is a first language or you speak what the locals do, it often pays to be more specific than the usual 5 steps.)

2) they're fans of rare or rare-ish steak, and because they can't tell the difference, they don't bother to try. This seems to be the standard steak snob position.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:57 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Whoops - good old British slang strikes again.....

OK ..." would throw a tantrum at customers who dared......"
Or a "strop".
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
There seems to be a disconnect here between posters. Some posters feel that it's their money and they can order, and should receive with money back guarantee, whatever they want however they choose. In Texas most good steakhouses put on their menu a disclaimer to indicate that if steak's are ordered mid well or more then they do not listen to "dry" complaints. I have been a grill cook in a steakhouse, and can tell what setting it's at by feel of tongs. The main thing is that the steak is made by the restaurant, the proprieter is responsible for the food and what is put out. So the RESTAURANT decides how to cook the food, if you don't like it, then go somewhere else, but don't expect a money back guarantee. If you don't like it you are free to tell your friends, write a blog, or whatever you want, but the restaurant is free to put out whatever they want too.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Tuffy
So the RESTAURANT decides how to cook the food, if you don't like it, then go somewhere else, but don't expect a money back guarantee. If you don't like it you are free to tell your friends, write a blog, or whatever you want, but the restaurant is free to put out whatever they want too.
Sure, if you can't cook a well-done steak properly, do feel free to say so; when I was mainly a well-done eater, I might or might not have ordered it anyway, but either way I'd probably not come back. Just don't say such a thing isn't possible, because I've had it, and I used to be a regular at some places that could do it reliably (some of them even in the $15 range, although that'd be in mid-1990s $.)

For a place that doesn't specialize in steak, having a limited range is excusable, if still poor form; for a place that specializes in steak, if you can't cook to the full range and come out with a quality product, you should be in a different business.

These days ordering medium on better steaks, there are places that will get it consistently right and others that'll serve "medium" with a good chance of either some red in the middle or only having a touch of pink left. I'm not going to be back to either one voluntarily, unless they're genuinely inexpensive. For a $15 steak and sides, I'm not going to be too picky; for a $40+ one, they'd better get it right the first time.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
For a place that doesn't specialize in steak, having a limited range is excusable, if still poor form; for a place that specializes in steak, if you can't cook to the full range and come out with a quality product, you should be in a different business.
I must disagree with a portion of your statement. From very personal experience, the core business of steakhouses is to bring customer's back, and the vast majority of your repeat revenue customers are the one's who order Rare-Medium, so they are the customers that are being catered too. And unfortunately only certain cuts of meat have enough fat in them to be taken past 160 degrees and still have any juice whatsoever. Ribeye is one that can take it. But since most juice is cooked out of a steak over 135-140 degrees, you can't "guarantee" that it's juicy compared to a proper Mid rare steak. Unfortunately in order to get the steak to be grey throughout which is Well done, it has to be brought to a temperature not conducive to holding moisture, and most steakhouses cook on surfaces that are not conducive to lowering the temp, so they are cooked at very high heat, meaning by the time yours is well done, it's charcoal. Granted, if you were to sous vide the steak to well done, it would be excellent, more like a pot roast though and with no char on it. It's not just taste snotty reasons that well done is a tough thing to do.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
If you like well done and prime rib is offered....ask for an end cut.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bleu Cheese

Last night my Dad and I were grilling steaks and I noticed my Mom had bought a carton of bleu cheese crumbles. I decided to sprinkle some on my steak after it was cooked and it tasted great! However, I'm now wondering if it's possible to grill the steak with the bleu cheese on top. Is there a way to do that?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Last night my Dad and I were grilling steaks and I noticed my Mom had bought a carton of bleu cheese crumbles. I decided to sprinkle some on my steak after it was cooked and it tasted great! However, I'm now wondering if it's possible to grill the steak with the bleu cheese on top. Is there a way to do that?
with bleu cheese the melting is normally done in an oven. my friend will mix butter and bleu cheese as a topping by mixing it into a compound butter first.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:47 am

Bleu/Blue Cheese

Also a Cambizola or Gorgonzola are 2 really good soft ripened ones that melt very well on meat, usually if you put it on the steak when you take it off the grill, it will melt like butter over the top. The compound butter technique is also really good for the harder or more crumbly cheeses, the butter will spread it evenly, and butter is great on steaks.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
What's the line from Pulp Fiction? "Burned to a crisp or bloody as hell?" I like my bloody as hell.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I would like my steak right now please.

---

Seriously, it depends on the cut. Filet I'll take close to rare, NY strip and ribeye closer to medium rare, sometimes even, (gasp! I know) medium. The nicer the meat, the redder I like it.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:57 pm

Interesting "well done" discussion from last year.
But as many have mentioned, I don't know how well one can really describe their preference to a doneness (particularly when discussing well done) without including the cut in the discussion since it seems the more fattier/marbled cuts can keep their juiciness when more done.
Hadn't taken into consideration cooking method/tools either.
Insightful posts, Tuffy.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:24 pm

This thread just made me make reservations for Sunday at Ruth's Chris........medium rare with extra butter please.

Bobette
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Medium rare for a good cut like a filet. Maybe just a little butter or peppercorns, but otherwise I don't want to cover the flavor of the meat with distractions like blue cheese or crusts.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:34 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Medium rare for me. I like it with a little butter and salt; sometimes a nice dry steak rub; and other times with shaved daikon, soy, and ponzu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.