Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:31 am

For me it depends on the cut of meat, but most of the time it's medium rare.

I often like steak with soy sauce and wasabi, or with assorted salts.

other times it's Bordelaise sauce, sauce Béarnaise, or steak au poivre.

Favorite side dishes are mashed potatoes, roasted baby carrots, or Sauteed Spinach.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:44 am
Suspended

My choice is a good Ribeye, served in a manner known in some places as Rare-Charred, or in others as Black and Blue.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
My Mom always pan fried our steaks when I was growing up, so I love my steaks well-done...I can never order a steak in a restaurant. Never comes out right. My husband is about the only one who can grill a steak to my satisfaction. Don't mind it a little tough, but well-done NY Strip on the grill is pretty tough, so ribeye is my first choice.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Nanook
My Mom always pan fried our steaks when I was growing up, so I love my steaks well-done...I can never order a steak in a restaurant. Never comes out right. My husband is about the only one who can grill a steak to my satisfaction. Don't mind it a little tough, but well-done NY Strip on the grill is pretty tough, so ribeye is my first choice.
I read something about a famous chef taking about cooking at home. I think it was either Alain Ducasse or Eric Ripert. In any case they talked about Pam frying steaks. But they don't have to be well. They cooked the edges first to seal in the juice and then grilled the sides.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Sometimes that I eat steak on the grill. Not very often. Tonight I am going grill the steak with teriyaki. It gonna be very delicious dinner tonight. Haven't you ate steak with mashed potato or baked potato? I can cook the grill myself tonight. Hope the dinner will be so wonderful.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by N830MH
Sometimes that I eat steak on the grill. Not very often. Tonight I am going grill the steak with teriyaki. It gonna be very delicious dinner tonight. Haven't you ate steak with mashed potato or baked potato? I can cook the grill myself tonight. Hope the dinner will be so wonderful.
Enjoy!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Used to be medium rare.. now I like all steaks medium..

I prefer HP steak (Canada) sauce.. as the steak sauce of choice
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I read something about a famous chef taking about cooking at home. I think it was either Alain Ducasse or Eric Ripert. In any case they talked about Pam frying steaks. But they don't have to be well. They cooked the edges first to seal in the juice and then grilled the sides.
Went to a cooking demo by an executive chef of one the nicer steakhouses in town. He pan fried the steaks (a variety of cuts) to sear the exterior and then finished them in the oven. I was amazed how nicely they turned out.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I wanted to add that my steak at 4 star AAA Las Brisas at Fairmont Mayakoba was fantastic with Chimichurri..^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:03 am
uk1
Suspended

Rib-eye - sous vide to 129F and then fiercely seared in butter and olive oil.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Originally Posted by uk1
Rib-eye - sous vide to 129F and then fiercely seared in butter and olive oil.
Nice touch on the sous vide. I see your olive oil and raise your grapeseed oil, as olive has too low of a smoke point
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:38 am

Medium rare and with nothing on it. IMO, if I have to add sauce or something to it to make it taste good, then there's something wrong with the meat.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdanton
Nice touch on the sous vide. I see your olive oil and raise your grapeseed oil, as olive has too low of a smoke point
Extra light olive oil has a smoke point of 240+ compared to 210+ for grapeseed oil.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by t325
Medium rare and with nothing on it. IMO, if I have to add sauce or something to it to make it taste good, then there's something wrong with the meat.
Completely agree!

Outdoors, I'll grill just about any cut with only sea salt and ground pepper.

Indoors, I coat both sides of an 8 ounce beef filet with butter and lots of ground pepper, then sear both sides in the All-Clad grill pan, then finish them off in the oven at 400 F. to medium rare.

That said, the other evening a friend came over and we grilled filets outside with Balducci's Lime Chipolte Marinade and they were fantastic! ^

Guess what's for dinner tonight? Beef filets on the grill matched with a Henschke Keyneton blend...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I pan fried a ribeye on Saturday night.

We just built a house and I included a proper hood with an external vent. In our old place, I never would have pan fried a steak, as the whole would smell for days on end. In our new place, no smell whatsoever. So excited about that (I love to cook, but hate lingering cooking smells).

I just did salt and pepper and seared it in olive oil and a little butter. While the steak was resting, I warmed up some sauteed spinach and cremini mushrooms in the pan drippings. So good.

Steak was cook perfectly rare, which means I can reheat the leftovers tonight and they will still be edible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.