Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Filet:
Rare with a good char on at least one side, cool red center, with double clarified butter on top, maybe some sea salt and crab meat to go with.

Ribeye:
Medium rare with a good garlicky rub, bone in, with BCMP's(Blue Cheese Mashed Potato's).

Strip:
Whole loin and roasted, sliced with horseradish mayo.

Tbone:
better on someone elses plate.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
All Steaks: Medium Rare, drowned in A-1, with a side of Mashed Potatoes and a caesar salad.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:27 am

Medium rare for me - plain and simple:-:
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
love all my steaks medium rare with no sauce. if i was at a more expensive place and the steak doesn't come out right i will definitely send it back.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:45 pm

My idea of medium-rare is a dark crust with a warm red centre. NY strip well marbled for preference and Maldon sea salt and fresh cracked pepper the only seasoning.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by indianwells
My idea of medium-rare is a dark crust with a warm red centre. NY strip well marbled for preference and Maldon sea salt and fresh cracked pepper the only seasoning.
Exactly! Please, add nothing more as a seasoning...especially garlic and onion powder (which too many places do).
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:52 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
The well end of medium well, a nice medium-to-dark brown crust and, if it's grilled, nice dark grill marks. Throw in a nice, well-balanced red, some mashed potatoes and good company...I'm set for a good meal.

And this is a huge step for me...5 years ago, if it wasn't very well done and charred black, I wouldn't eat it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
The well end of medium well, a nice medium-to-dark brown crust and, if it's grilled, nice dark grill marks. Throw in a nice, well-balanced red, some mashed potatoes and good company...I'm set for a good meal.

And this is a huge step for me...5 years ago, if it wasn't very well done and charred black, I wouldn't eat it.
well done? thats' like eating rubber....hehe. gross!!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:08 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by oneeyejack
well done? thats' like eating rubber....hehe. gross!!
LOL

That's what I've concluded. A couple of summers ago, my best friend's boyfriend convinced me to try a piece of steak he made...I refused at first because it wasn't done enough to my liking, but he's a persistent (insert string of choice words here) and pretty much wouldn't shut up until I ate it. That's when I learned to embrace the medium-well concept.

The thought of rare still makes me shudder though.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
As I grew up on California's Central Coast, my idea of a steak is simple.

Tri-tip roast marinated for 24 hours and cooked over red oak. Lightly seasoned with "Susie Q's." Done right, it will range from rare/medium rare in the center to medium rare/medium near the edges.

Served with pinquito beans, salad, garlic bread and homemade salsa, it is my idea of fine eating. Other sides might include linguiça and grilled artichoke. Occasionally my wife will request corn on the cob and baked potato.

I have my own recipes for marinade, beans, salsa and the rest. I learned from the best and fine tuned to my taste over the last forty years or so.

I am actually heading up that way, to Cambria, this weekend and will hit up a cart in Santa Maria or Nipomo on the way for a tri-tip sandwich.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by hiyo

Tri-tip roast marinated for 24 hours and cooked over red oak. Done right, it will range from rare/medium rare in the center to medium rare/medium near the edges.

Served with pinquito beans, salad, garlic bread and homemade salsa
I really really like the Santa Maria style of cooking, and those particular accompaniments too. Outside of Brazil, it is by far my favorite way to eat beef. I make tri-tip at home at least monthly year round, but I use a dry rub for 24 hrs. rather than a marinade. I actually prefer it to steak most of the time.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by hiyo

Tri-tip roast marinated for 24 hours and cooked over red oak. Lightly seasoned with "Susie Q's." Done right, it will range from rare/medium rare in the center to medium rare/medium near the edges.

Served with pinquito beans, salad, garlic bread and homemade salsa, it is my idea of fine eating. Other sides might include linguiça and grilled artichoke. Occasionally my wife will request corn on the cob and baked potato.

I have my own recipes for marinade, beans, salsa and the rest. I learned from the best and fine tuned to my taste over the last forty years or so.

I am actually heading up that way, to Cambria, this weekend and will hit up a cart in Santa Maria or Nipomo on the way for a tri-tip sandwich.
Damn. This post made me very hungry
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Pretty much raw on the inside.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by tony732
All Steaks: Medium Rare, drowned in A-1, with a side of Mashed Potatoes and a caesar salad.
All Steaks: medium rare, drowned in A-1 thick and hearty, with a side of broccoli and a caesar salad.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:51 am

Medium rare w/ a crust, mushrooms, onions & asparagus.

Further details:

On a plate in front of me & paid for by the beautiful lady seated a few tables away!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.