Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by musicsic
I prefer medium rare, 24oz or bigger, and paid with a corporate credit card.
What type of steak?

Had a 24 oz porterhouse at Ruth's Chris once.. on a corporate card too.

First steak I've ever had over $100..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What type of steak?

Had a 24 oz porterhouse at Ruth's Chris once.. on a corporate card too.

First steak I've ever had over $100..
I'm not really picky on the type of cut, when I arrive at the restaurant, I'm just hungry.

One of the best ones was in norcal that I ate a couple years ago, I believe it was called High Steaks. I asked the waiter how big was the prime rib and he said it was approximately 20 ounces and he could tell I was disappointed even though I placed the order. He then wanted to surprise me and came out with a 44 ounce prime rib. I ate the whole thing in 15 minutes, so delicious!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm not really picky on the type of cut, when I arrive at the restaurant, I'm just hungry.

One of the best ones was in norcal that I ate a couple years ago, I believe it was called High Steaks. I asked the waiter how big was the prime rib and he said it was approximately 20 ounces and he could tell I was disappointed even though I placed the order. He then wanted to surprise me and came out with a 44 ounce prime rib. I ate the whole thing in 15 minutes, so delicious!
Wow 44 ounce prime rib.. nice..

I think 20 ounce was the biggest prime rib I've ever eaten.. but the fixins were piled high, and all you can eat.. so I walked away satisfied..

Did your prime rib, come with any fixins?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:30 pm

Did your prime rib, come with any fixins?
It came with a side of mashed potatoes and I believe vegetables too. Had the crème brûlée for dessert, very delicious as well.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:21 pm
Suspended

It came with a side of mashed potatoes and I believe vegetables too. Had the crème brûlée for dessert, very delicious as well.
Spectacular.. Creme Brulee generally takes 25 minutes to prepare after order..

I generally like to have a steak, rack of ribs, and prime rib all once every two weeks..

Sounds like you can wolf down some meat.. I generally can handle a nice steak.. but lots of vegetables need to be there to help with my digestion..
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:35 am

Sounds like you can wolf down some meat.. I generally can handle a nice steak.. but lots of vegetables need to be there to help with my digestion..
I might have done a few eating challenges and got my picture on restaurant walls. Being 140lbs and my co-workers constantly asking, "Where do you put it all?" never gets old.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I might have done a few eating challenges and got my picture on restaurant walls. Being 140lbs and my co-workers constantly asking, "Where do you put it all?" never gets old.
You ever thought about taking a road trip through Amarillo?

http://www.bigtexan.com/
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:54 pm
Suspended

I have a few friends like that.. my wife is sort of like that..

She'll pack 4 plates at a buffet, and she's still a size 0 petite.. This after 2 kids..

Myself, its unfortunately caught up to my age.. I still enjoy a nice 16 ounze.. but, I can't pack it in as I used to..
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Black Adder

2 co-workers and I went there a couple of months ago when working in Amarillo. Not for the challenge, just to see it and hopefully have a decent steak. Among the worst any of us has ever had. Logan's Roadhouse $13. sirloin is light years ahead. The place seats over 500, and there is always a wait for dinner, so you'd think they would have cooked enough meat to figure it out.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Black Adder

I've always wanted to go, especially since it was featured on Man v Food (been to 26 restaurants around the US featured on the show so far). Hopefully some day.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I like mine Medium. Best I ever had was Harry Carry's the 9 oz Buffalo. $31.00 yes the old man (Dad) was paying.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by braslvr
2 co-workers and I went there a couple of months ago when working in Amarillo. Not for the challenge, just to see it and hopefully have a decent steak. Among the worst any of us has ever had. Logan's Roadhouse $13. sirloin is light years ahead. The place seats over 500, and there is always a wait for dinner, so you'd think they would have cooked enough meat to figure it out.
yep it is pretty bad stuff, total tourist trap.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by braslvr
I went there last year mainly for the experience. I went with Chicken Fried Steak which was fairly decent and my Dad had some ribeye that he said was similar. Amazingly, the bartender made a great martini and the ones my Dad drink are horrendously overcomplicated so we gave it a big ^ for that.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:29 am
uk1
Suspended

For those that are interested in such things .... she didn't know how to "complete" the steak ..... neverthteless her first attempt at sous vide steak ...

It'll take 24 hours to cook and look like leather. But could this be the best steak you'll ever eat?

As for the sous-vide steak? Well, it still looks like the sole of a battered old boot.

Then I taste — and find myself having to eat my words. Flavour explodes from the unattractive sous-vide steak. Tender, moist and mouth-watering,

I’ve never tasted meat like it. Suddenly the 24-hour wait seems worth every second.

By comparison my pan-fried steak, pretty as it is, is chewy and bland. And I am not the only convert to this new way of cooking.

Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Depends on the cut but for a porterhouse I'm a medium-rare to rare person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.