Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:32 pm

Med rare!
Old May 3, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
How do you like your steak cooked?
I usually ask them to make it between medium rear and medium or medium rear plus. In other words, since there is no universal definition of medium, I want them to err on the rear side.

Have you ever sent back a steak because it was rare enough to your liking? Meaning a wasted steak.
Quite a few times.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Hy's Steak House in Waikiki. YOW! Awesome.
I am actually not a big fan of Hy's Steak House there. It's not terrible but, to me, also nothing to rave about. Perhaps I've just gotten unlucky, however.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I like Ruth Chris but I'm not crazy about the butter, either. Last year I got to try several of the steak places in and around Arlington VA and I'd probably rank them as follows:

Mortons
Rays the Steaks
Ruth Chris
Capitol Grille
Clydes

Only one I would probably make the effort to go back to would be Morton's.
Personally, I've eaten at lots and lots of Morton's in different states and would generally put it at the very bottom of my list of good steakhouses. For a chain, Ruth's Chris is not bad at all, although I've found their steaks to be somewhat inconsistent.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by am1996
Personally, I've eaten at lots and lots of Morton's in different states and would generally put it at the very bottom of my list of good steakhouses. For a chain, Ruth's Chris is not bad at all, although I've found their steaks to be somewhat inconsistent.
Morton's at the bottom - why specifically? Just curious
Old May 3, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Morton's at the bottom - why specifically? Just curious
Their service is consistently good. My issue with them is the taste, which, while acceptable (it is merely "acceptable" for a high end steakhouse as it has some impressive competition; if you don't just compare them against high end steakhouses, then I'd say that the steaks are very, very good), doesn't quite measure up against a lot of their competition.

I realize that it is subjective and that Morton's has its fans. I am just not one of them (as I mentioned above, I don't dislike them either. It's just that when I have a choice between them and a different high end choice, I opt for the latter).
Old May 4, 2012, 1:08 am

A true medium, which can be hard to find. Sometimes rarer depending on cut and quality.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:19 am

Their service is consistently good. My issue with them is the taste, which, while acceptable (it is merely "acceptable" for a high end steakhouse as it has some impressive competition; if you don't just compare them against high end steakhouses, then I'd say that the steaks are very, very good), doesn't quite measure up against a lot of their competition.

I realize that it is subjective and that Morton's has its fans. I am just not one of them (as I mentioned above, I don't dislike them either. It's just that when I have a choice between them and a different high end choice, I opt for the latter).
Fair enough. I like Morton's, but given a choice between Hawksmoor and Morton's I'd take Hawksmoor every time.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Guess who's got over three pounds of grass fed rib-eye steak from Whole Foods in his fridge? THIS GUY!
Old May 4, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Guess who's got over three pounds of grass fed rib-eye steak from Whole Foods in his fridge? THIS GUY!
You know, I haven't been impressed with Whole Foods' steak selection at all. Every location that I've ever visited does not even carry Prime ribeyes, unless it's a big holiday. The highest grade that they carry every day is Choice, which is pretty pathetic, especially when you consider the price that they charge.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
You know, I haven't been impressed with Whole Foods' steak selection at all. Every location that I've ever visited does not even carry Prime ribeyes, unless it's a big holiday. The highest grade that they carry every day is Choice, which is pretty pathetic, especially when you consider the price that they charge.
IME Grass-fed (and especially grass-fed, organic) beef rarely maps well to the USDA grading system. If you want really good grain-finished prime beef, whole paycheck is not the place to go, although their prices on conventional choice steaks has been pretty fair around here with better quality than the regular supermarkets (then again, Costco gets very reasonable Prime, as long as you don't mind Costco quantities.)

They also have some house dry-aged stuff, which I've not tried, nor am I sure of the grade but at those prices, I'll trust someone else to cook it for me.
Old May 6, 2012, 6:06 pm

I like it rare, I like it pink but no one ever gets it right. I always explain and always they get it wrong. I feel bad sending it back so I never do, I can not imagine wasting a steak - so I suffer and I silently complain.

Does that make me passive aggressive?
Old May 7, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
IME Grass-fed (and especially grass-fed, organic) beef rarely maps well to the USDA grading system.
Why not? Here is a quote: "A quality grade is a composite evaluation of factors that affect palatability of meat (tenderness, juiciness, and flavor). These factors include carcass maturity, firmness, texture, and color of lean, and the amount and distribution of marbling within the lean. Beef carcass quality grading is based on (1) degree of marbling and (2) degree of maturity."

Is there something about the beef being grass-fed that makes USDA grading less important (it's an honest question)?
Old May 7, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
If you want really good grain-finished prime beef, whole paycheck is not the place to go, although their prices on conventional choice steaks has been pretty fair around here with better quality than the regular supermarkets (then again, Costco gets very reasonable Prime, as long as you don't mind Costco quantities.)
What does Whole Food charge for Choice ribeyes in your area? In my neck of the woods, it is about $25/lb, which is pretty outrageous. Costco's Choice ribeyes go for about $8.50/lb and Prime ribeyes are about $16/lb. Our supermarket Choice ribeye prices are comparable to those of Costco... supermarkets around here do not carry Prime ribeyes as their every day choice.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:25 am

Well I like it very dark from outside, (almost burnt) and reddish pink from inside. I would like to cook it myself in a frying pan with a very hot oil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.