Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Reuters now has an article claiming the elite exodus has begun.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3E1LP20140415

And it points out (as I posted earlier in this thread) top elites still get free Ug's on this route with AA and with UA using certs (of which more are given at UA).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
What would your choice be on JFK to LAX RT:

1 A Delta K fare for $695.00 +25K miles with upgrade inventory available or,

2 A Jetblue Mint fare for $1200.00 RT and no miles/points required.

I'll go with option #1. A $695.00 K fare +25K miles still isn't a bad deal to get confirmed into J. Your also saving $500 over the jetblue fare plus your getting a much better experience and a direct aisle access seat. Sucks to burn the miles. Another way to do this is this: Buy a DL H fare which is about the same amount as a MINT ticket. Your skymiles earning will net you about 15,600 miles, almost enough to cover the cost of the upgrade.
I looked into K + miles for a couple of upcoming transcontinental trips I have this summer. DL is offering advance availability only on the first flight of the day (early morning) and the last (redeye on the return). Thanks, but no thanks. I booked AA F in June (thanks to a "cheap" fare misclassification for around $1050 roundtrip) and B6 MINT suite in August ($1198 roundtrip).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM
Unhappy

As someone who flies this route 2x month or so, I definitely miss the upgrades and I like others have moved my business elsewhere.

However I can't fault DL's strategy here, while I was getting the UGs I sat next to a lot of interesting folks going JFK/SFO/LAX. Many DMs (and the occasional lucky PM), some people doing MRs, and then the people who actually paid for the ticket. In my experience these paying customers were CEOs, Fortune 500 C-level staff, and even executives from my own company.

I know the execs at my firm were pulling in around $2M+ a year or so and had access to our fleet of PJs (but were traveling solo, so it was not worth a reposition). Either way these are people who never, ever fly Y and it doesn't even matter if they are paying or the business is.

These are the customers DL is going after on this route, not people who will "complain to their travel department" because they were never in Y to begin with.

Was good while it lasted. Maybe if the economy goes the other way, the upgrades will come back.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by swevc
As someone who flies this route 2x month or so, I definitely miss the upgrades and I like others have moved my business elsewhere.

However I can't fault DL's strategy here, while I was getting the UGs I sat next to a lot of interesting folks going JFK/SFO/LAX. Many DMs (and the occasional lucky PM), some people doing MRs, and then the people who actually paid for the ticket. In my experience these paying customers were CEOs, Fortune 500 C-level staff, and even executives from my own company.

I know the execs at my firm were pulling in around $2M+ a year or so and had access to our fleet of PJs (but were traveling solo, so it was not worth a reposition). Either way these are people who never, ever fly Y and it doesn't even matter if they are paying or the business is.

These are the customers DL is going after on this route, not people who will "complain to their travel department" because they were never in Y to begin with.

Was good while it lasted. Maybe if the economy goes the other way, the upgrades will come back.
i so agree with this. Good for DL if they are able to make more money.

But also as this poster said, my business went elsewhere on my next JFK flight too. Not to start a new FF status craze, I am good with DL ask I feel they are treating me well. But it was just pure price that made me decide the next ticket on this route as it would be economy seating either way and AA came out cheaper. Not that AA is making much on me as the seat was very cheap. LOL But I would have bought M fare on DL if the upgrade was a possibility.

-ok
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Just completed 182 yesterday 4/17. It was the old seating with no lay flats and 7 seats were empty. Did not seem to be any Non-revs up front with me. EC also had some empty seats so I would assume that most people would have gotten the UG.

Had used miles for the ticket but I would be pissed if I paid $2k for the old product. Just by throwing a Westin blanket on a seat does not make it worth the price.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Just completed 182 yesterday 4/17. It was the old seating with no lay flats and 7 seats were empty. Did not seem to be any Non-revs up front with me. EC also had some empty seats so I would assume that most people would have gotten the UG.

Had used miles for the ticket but I would be pissed if I paid $2k for the old product. Just by throwing a Westin blanket on a seat does not make it worth the price.
Originally Posted by mnredfox

And it points out (as I posted earlier in this thread) top elites still get free Ug's on this route with AA and with UA using certs (of which more are given at UA).
As much as I love DL, I hope this foolish decision comes back to bite them in the a**. Corporate greed won't get you very far.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by swevc
Maybe if the economy goes the other way, the upgrades will come back.
Really?

You would hope for everyone to suffer another recession so you can sit up front for free?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

Would not say talking to 2 frequent flyers (appears that is all they did for this article) as mass exodus.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum

Interesting seeing this hitting news agencies as Reuters even though it said nothing we do not know. :-)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
What a Shame...

Delta JFK to SFO tomorrow (Saturday), all on 757 with 16 BE seats

flight #

469 13 open seats in J
431 3 open seats in J
415 12 open seats in J
435 14 open seats in J

EC was also looking pretty much wide open on most of those flights.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Delta JFK to SFO tomorrow (Saturday), all on 757 with 16 BE seats

flight #

469 13 open seats in J
431 3 open seats in J
415 12 open seats in J
435 14 open seats in J

EC was also looking pretty much wide open on most of those flights.
Like that news article said, and many of us predicted, this was just too much for higher level NY/LA/SF based elites who even occasionally used these flights.

I find it hard to believe they sold enough extra BE seats on 413 to make a net positive out of the ?60+? missing medallions on those flights. (In my experience EC was always packed on TCONs, even when the rest of Y was 3/4 empty)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL 360 Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Yep. I am leaving.

Interesting timing for article in Reuters. I was on my last flight of the year with Delta on Wednesday (#476 LAX - JFK). At Skyclub, I noticed via the Delta App that there were 15 seats in BE available but there were 13 people on the upgrade list. I had (vainly) hope DAL had finally listened to us complaining and changed the policy but nope it wasn't to be. I asked GA what was the secret to getting on the upgrade list; was told "These are positive space employees who are entitled to BE". My jaw hit the ground. All 13 I asked? Yep.

So, when I was on the flight in my EC seat, I noticed that most of the EC seats even were empty. The FAs were chatting saying that they were surprised the flight wasn't full. That's when I told them we (the road warriors) had left and weren't coming back as long as we had options. I had already done the AA challenge and AA's getting my biz for the remainder of the year (I have already achieved Diamond for 2015 so I m moving on and hedging my bets with AA). Just FWIW - I had a fully refundable fare. One FA told me he didn't understand the policy change since it ran the business customers away but the word was out that at DAL these seats were now available for employees on these routes and most BE seats on these routes were filled with non-revs these days.

I really don't understand this at all. What restaurant tells its most loyal customers to go away so that the cooks/servers/hosts can have a table in the restaurant at dinner time? I traveled over 250K base miles, with $35K of spend in 2013. Won't be happening this year or any time again soon.

Sorry to leave you DAL but a rule of business is that really dumb moves cost you your most loyal customers. It takes but a change in the program to lose them and then a lifetime to get them back.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RyaninLA
Interesting timing for article in Reuters. I was on my last flight of the year with Delta on Wednesday (#476 LAX - JFK). At Skyclub, I noticed via the Delta App that there were 15 seats in BE available but there were 13 people on the upgrade list. I had (vainly) hope DAL had finally listened to us complaining and changed the policy but nope it wasn't to be. I asked GA what was the secret to getting on the upgrade list; was told "These are positive space employees who are entitled to BE". My jaw hit the ground. All 13 I asked? Yep.

So, when I was on the flight in my EC seat, I noticed that most of the EC seats even were empty. The FAs were chatting saying that they were surprised the flight wasn't full. That's when I told them we (the road warriors) had left and weren't coming back as long as we had options. I had already done the AA challenge and AA's getting my biz for the remainder of the year (I have already achieved Diamond for 2015 so I m moving on and hedging my bets with AA). Just FWIW - I had a fully refundable fare. One FA told me he didn't understand the policy change since it ran the business customers away but the word was out that at DAL these seats were now available for employees on these routes and most BE seats on these routes were filled with non-revs these days.

I really don't understand this at all. What restaurant tells its most loyal customers to go away so that the cooks/servers/hosts can have a table in the restaurant at dinner time? I traveled over 250K base miles, with $35K of spend in 2013. Won't be happening this year or any time again soon.

Sorry to leave you DAL but a rule of business is that really dumb moves cost you your most loyal customers. It takes but a change in the program to lose them and then a lifetime to get them back.
It's obviously going to take some time, I just hope Delta doesn't do what JCPenney did to it's loyal customers. They're still playing catch up.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
"The BusinessEmployee Experience."
- Lift Off in Luxury
- Luxury at Every Altitude

I really don't understand this at all. What restaurant tells its most loyal customers to go away so that the cooks/servers/hosts can have a table in the restaurant at dinner time?
And... how many of the most loyal customers would want to dine with the cooks/servers/hosts chowing down at the table next to them??

If I were CEO for the day, without having access to financial and customer information, I'd make the following changes to BE US TCON:
- Premium Cabin for Premium CustomersTM
- DM's: complimentary upgrades (space available; at the gate)
- Platinum/Gold: dollars or miles for upgrades, graduated depending on fare class
- Silver: WBEBBE
- No employees
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Its been 5 weeks since the change. I'd say the next month or two will be interesting to see how EC starts to thin out. If it doesn't, then Delta will most likely stick with this change.

I'm waiting for the right status match/challenge from AA and then I am gone. You'd have to be crazy as a DM, PM to stick with Delta if you frequently fly JFK to LAX and SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.