Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Good thoughts. Not trying to get to PVG, just to MLE. Though I'd rather have a sub 24 hr layover in PVG than CAN. I agree, mixing DL fights with partners seems to mess stuff up. Unfortunately with DL ditching routes on DL metal in APAC and also killing partners over the years (SQ/MH) options are limited with you seemingly having to go with CZ or MU. I don't mind CZ and MU's product is ok, I just hate MU YQ fees and also the difficulty in booking on MU with DL SM.

Sadly I have forgotten how mind numbing and infuriating booking DL awards with partners can be. Trying to book as well BKK-DEN (option 1: BKK-CZ-CAN-CZ-LAX-DL-DEN or option 2: BKK-FM-PEK-DL-SEA-DL-DEN). Availability exists in O class on CZ and FM legs but DL agents get sell denied. Used to this for sure on MU, but not on CZ. Still can't believe what a joke it is to book a ST itin compared to say *A or OW. I can easily go to UA's website and search partner awards and book it. With DL, DK.dumb cannot search for barely any partners, then when I call DL agents they tell me there is no seats on the one itin that shows up on their screen. I have to tell them what flights I want and of course they come back and say "there is no flights". So I have to deal with a crappy DL.dumb, horrible DL award engine/IT, and agents that insist I am wrong. Oh the joy.....
Wait, SQ is a DL partner?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hiima
Wait, SQ is a DL partner?
Was. A long time ago.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone for your help, esp RealHJ. Here's what I have so far:

1. Outbound - all in F/J for 97.5K
DEN-DL-LAX-DL-PVG-MU-MLE

2. Return:
BKK-CI-TPE-CI-LAX-DL-DEN all in F/J for 80K

Has anyone ever booked a US-MLE award with DL recently? I still think and am insisting with DL agents that 97.5K is incorrectly priced (ie additive pricing) even though many ST carriers (eg MU) have published (revenue) fares for DEN-MLE. Not sure if I should just keep calling the DM desk and demanding a supervisor and/or the ST desk look at it. Sadly I feel like every call to DL that involves partners (esp in Asia) is a minimum 30-45 minute call.

Fare code is as follows:
DEN DL X/LAX DL X/SHA MU MLE0.00CSM975/FFO21 USD0.00END

I read that being a single fare and not necessarily additive, so I'm stumped.

That being said, I booked BKK-CI-TPE-CI-LAX-DL-DEN and it originally booked in as 95K miles. Fare is as follows:

BKK CI X/TPE CI X/LAX DL DEN0.00CSM950/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00 EXEMPTXF

After 3 calls to DM desk, 3 different departments, and multiple supervisors, the ST desk fixed the fare and the new fare code is as follows:

BKK CI X/TPE CI X/LAX DL DEN 0.00CSM800/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00

Given that it's identical except the "950" vs "800" pricing tells me that DL still has some funny pricing stuff going on. So much for transparency.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Thanks everyone for your help, esp RealHJ. Here's what I have so far:

1. Outbound - all in F/J for 97.5K
DEN-DL-LAX-DL-PVG-MU-MLE

2. Return:
BKK-CI-TPE-CI-LAX-DL-DEN all in F/J for 80K

Has anyone ever booked a US-MLE award with DL recently? I still think and am insisting with DL agents that 97.5K is incorrectly priced (ie additive pricing) even though many ST carriers (eg MU) have published (revenue) fares for DEN-MLE. Not sure if I should just keep calling the DM desk and demanding a supervisor and/or the ST desk look at it. Sadly I feel like every call to DL that involves partners (esp in Asia) is a minimum 30-45 minute call.

Fare code is as follows:
DEN DL X/LAX DL X/SHA MU MLE0.00CSM975/FFO21 USD0.00END

I read that being a single fare and not necessarily additive, so I'm stumped.

That being said, I booked BKK-CI-TPE-CI-LAX-DL-DEN and it originally booked in as 95K miles. Fare is as follows:

BKK CI X/TPE CI X/LAX DL DEN0.00CSM950/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00 EXEMPTXF

After 3 calls to DM desk, 3 different departments, and multiple supervisors, the ST desk fixed the fare and the new fare code is as follows:

BKK CI X/TPE CI X/LAX DL DEN 0.00CSM800/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00

Given that it's identical except the "950" vs "800" pricing tells me that DL still has some funny pricing stuff going on. So much for transparency.
Yup, both of these look as through fares, not broken fares, where the second was overriden (price changed), it appears, based on what you said.

That is, unless DL has recently changed how the fare calculation is displayed to just show the total price and always show it as a through fare, though in the background it's additive pricing (but to no longer show that in the fare calculation, thus one more layer of obfuscation, rendering the fare calculation essentially useless). That would sure seem like a move right up DL's alley, so that very well could be it...and if so then another step closer to DL's goal of segment-by-segment price, a la Avios, likely to be here sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:25 am

@mnredfox hmmm... I have RDU-DTW-PVG priced at 160K (F/J) oneway on delta one (DL743/DL583). looks like I grossly over-paid.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yoyo
@mnredfox hmmm... I have RDU-DTW-PVG priced at 160K (F/J) oneway on delta one (DL743/DL583). looks like I grossly over-paid.
I would def say so, you basically are paying 2x what you could possibly get it for. But that being said, in the end it's your SM and if you think it's worth it go for it. For me, never!

Keep in mind that PVG-DTW is a hard route to get in low (or get a GUC to clear). I've done it with a GUC (not exact, but about the same class availability I think) but I've always had to WL.

DL is charging 160K OW for flying DTW-ICN or DTW-NRT just because it's a 747 in my opinion for lots of fall dates. I checked the loads and J looks totally empty.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:36 am

Every route I check contains at least 1 leg that is P or G. Nothing is A all the way. After a lot of reading, I think what I'm hearing is that there is A inventory even if it is not shown on Delta.com search. Is that correct? If you have a certificate loaded, you can search for A. But I don't have a certificate yet, I'm just trying to figure out if I would be able to use one. So can I call Delta and give them some sample routing and see if they can come up with all A fares?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Every route I check contains at least 1 leg that is P or G. Nothing is A all the way. After a lot of reading, I think what I'm hearing is that there is A inventory even if it is not shown on Delta.com search. Is that correct? If you have a certificate loaded, you can search for A. But I don't have a certificate yet, I'm just trying to figure out if I would be able to use one. So can I call Delta and give them some sample routing and see if they can come up with all A fares?
You can also use the advanced search to specify an A or higher booking class. Or use ITA matrix to get really specific.

But, that will just give you a narrower window of possibilities. AFAIK the Amex certs are still valid only on a subset of the AILUTXV fares.

That said, I've not had the issues using my certs that other folks seem to have.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
You can also use the advanced search to specify an A or higher booking class. Or use ITA matrix to get really specific.

But, that will just give you a narrower window of possibilities. AFAIK the Amex certs are still valid only on a subset of the AILUTXV fares.

That said, I've not had the issues using my certs that other folks seem to have.
I gave him a similar answer on another thread yesterday and I guess he didn't like it.

I agree that I think you need to enter the certificate to see what is actually eligible at that time.

I haven't had any problems with the certs either and now if it's only giving me coach on the short leg, say MCO-ATL, I'll take it because I would expect at least upgrade to C+ (usually buying far in advance).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:19 am

Of course I didn't like the answer. It doesn't do what you said it does. You said an "I or higher" search would give me the fare codes that qualify. It does not. In one case I just tried, it gives APP and FPP fares. Neither qualifies if it has to be an A or an I fare, right?

I am just following up on other people's replies that said there are more fares that show; they won't show you one if it costs more than another, unless you have a certificate on file. Again the "I or higher" does not seem to help at all.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Of course I didn't like the answer. It doesn't do what you said it does. You said an "I or higher" search would give me the fare codes that qualify. It does not. In one case I just tried, it gives APP and FPP fares. Neither qualifies if it has to be an A or an I fare, right?

I am just following up on other people's replies that said there are more fares that show; they won't show you one if it costs more than another, unless you have a certificate on file. Again the "I or higher" does not seem to help at all.
I'm not really following but will take a guess.

The certs will work ONLY with AILUTXV nothing above.
Searching "I or higher" just helps narrow down but will still give more than you need (I is likely D1 too). I guess it should be "A or higher" so it will force the "first class" to show but still "P" will show so it is still not a 100%.

The EASIEST way is you use the cert# to search.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets

The EASIEST way is you use the cert# to search.
This is what I was thinking, but I guess people just want to do it the hard way and then complain about it.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is what I was thinking, but I guess people just want to do it the hard way and then complain about it.
Part of the problem is that he posted on two different threads so all the info is not in one place.

To clarify, he does not have a certificate so he cannot actually check. He's trying to decide if the certificate will work by looking for flights. It's a different set of flights from the certificate, but it's the best you can do. Since he wouldn't have the certificate for another year, you can't even check flights for a possible date.

So there is no "exact" answer. As I and others have posted, we have been successful with buying FC with the Reserve certificate. I have used mine for later this year and will use my wife's for another flight.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
So there is no "exact" answer. As I and others have posted, we have been successful with buying FC with the Reserve certificate. I have used mine for later this year and will use my wife's for another flight.
^^^^
Successful for the past few years on both first and cattle.

This is a weird case to be asking. Inventory changes all the time, even with cert in hand but no booking would do you no good. If one gets a DL reserve card ONLY for the cert, then I would say DON'T GET THE CARD.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Part of the problem is that he posted on two different threads so all the info is not in one place.

To clarify, he does not have a certificate so he cannot actually check. He's trying to decide if the certificate will work by looking for flights. It's a different set of flights from the certificate, but it's the best you can do. Since he wouldn't have the certificate for another year, you can't even check flights for a possible date.

Ah, Interesting now if he asked nicely maybe one of us could do a dummy booking to get a "price" for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.