Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]

Subscribe
Quote: Of course my most familiar experiences in seeing DCC in action have occurred in Europe. I am not familiar at all with practices in Asia oar Australia or Africa. Anybody with any of the other oies employed to scam people that I missed?
I've never made a credit card purchase in Africa, so I can't explain there. I only did a day trip from Algeciras, but my guess is that DCC wouldn't be prevalent in a place like Morocco. I wasn't willing to find out at the carpet shop though!

I can only speak for Taiwan, HK, and Macau DCC experiences in Asia. Taiwan is very compliant - after a period of being extremely non-compliant. It also helps traveling with a native speaker. On my most recent trip to HK, I was able to opt out of DCC successfully at every place but Greyhound Cafe when I was with percysmith. Some restaurants in HK and Macau don't respect DCC choices, and you have to be wary when you get the carbon copy paper with the check box. You need to make sure that the cashier can input something to disable DCC after you've seen the verbiage.

DCC, at least as of June, was still uncommon in Australia. In my seven trips there in the last three years I have only seen DCC twice, both times in Brisbane. The first was at Coffee and Chocolate at Queens Plaza in Brisbane (unexpected) and the second was at F1RST Tax & Duty Free at BNE (expected). In the first case the girl had handed me the terminal to enter my PIN (even though I was using a US chip-and-signature card), and I saw the prompt, "USD 23.7X OK?" The cashier was monitoring and said, "Just press ok?" when we both stared at the prompt. I don't think she had ever dealt with a non-AUD card before, and her confused look indicated she wasn't trying to get me to accept DCC. I used the opportunity as a brief educational moment. "Sometimes the banks offer an opportunity for unsuspecting tourists to pay in the home currency, but it's a rip-off exchange rate. It's just another opportunity for these banks like ANZ to make money." Oh? ANZ is pulling the scam? Now we have a common nemesis. Heh heh heh... In fairness, I saw a bunch of other ANZ terminals in use that did not employ DCC, so I don't think the DCC cancer is widespread. There was another case of an eatery in Strathfield, but this is extremely rare. I've generally found the service in Australia to be friendly and accommodating. Known DCC culprits like David Jones and Myer can easily be avoided by specifying upfront that there will be an option, and you want to decline the option and pay in AUD.
Got hit with this at a store and hotel in Delhi , 4.5 and 4%
Quote: Got hit with this at a store and hotel in Delhi , 4.5 and 4%
Was this a small store or a larger department store? We haven't had any reports from India so far, so this is bad news. There was no way to opt-out?
I was hit with DCC at the Oberoi Hotel in Bangalore in July. They were able to void it and refund but they defaulted to a DCC transaction with a ripoff exchange rate.

It also had what I think is one of the worst disclosures of the actual price (look how tiny the USD price is printed):
Quote: Was this a small store or a larger department store? We haven't had any reports from India so far, so this is bad news. There was no way to opt-out?
Small store in chandni chowk.
Having been swiping and chipping in Sydney for days. Never encountered DCC.
The point that in a fine dining place, you have to write down the tip amount first is kind of awkward. Then the waiter would keep saying thank you all the while they are making the CC transaction...
Quote: Having been swiping and chipping in Sydney for days. Never encountered DCC.
The point that in a fine dining place, you have to write down the tip amount first is kind of awkward. Then the waiter would keep saying thank you all the while they are making the CC transaction...
With the one sit-down restaurant here in the US where I used a chip card, it seemed possible to put tip amounts before and after authorization. It was pay at the counter so they put $0.00 for tip before running it and the receipt had a line to enter tip right below the $0.00 they entered. Weird that it was only before authorization there.
Quote: I was hit with DCC at the Oberoi Hotel in Bangalore in July. They were able to void it and refund but they defaulted to a DCC transaction with a ripoff exchange rate.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you were able to get the hotel to void the transaction without too much issue. I agree that the disclosure there is subtle. I wonder if on the merchant copy the box was already checked? It seems like in this case you have to explicitly agree to the DCC, but we know that more often than not DCC happens by default.

Quote: Having been swiping and chipping in Sydney for days. Never encountered DCC.
It's been my experience that DCC is rare in Australia, but it can still happen. David Jones, Myer, and duty free shops and airports are the prime locations for DCC in Australia. You don't have to worry too much with most restaurants and cafes although DCC can happen.
I didn't bother with card tips in France - I cashed everyone out. They didn't seem to want to ask even though I thought they deserved it (whenver they were less arrogant than expected).
Quote: It's been my experience that DCC is rare in Australia, but it can still happen. David Jones, Myer, and duty free shops and airports are the prime locations for DCC in Australia. You don't have to worry too much with most restaurants and cafes although DCC can happen.
I did make a purchase at David Jones (wonder what the owner of the department store felt when Pirates of the Caribbean was premiered), and didn't see DCC. I believe duty free could be different.

Quote: I didn't bother with card tips in France - I cashed everyone out. They didn't seem to want to ask even though I thought they deserved it (whenver they were less arrogant than expected).
To me, US is the most tipped country, and it's maybe the only place that you can put a tip on CC after the authorization. Like UK, France, Australia, you need to tell them before hands how much you tip them so they run the card by that new amount.
Quote: I did make a purchase at David Jones (wonder what the owner of the department store felt when Pirates of the Caribbean was premiered), and didn't see DCC. I believe duty free could be different.
I wondered the same thing. I have yet to make a purchase at either department store, so I haven't encountered DCC personally. There have been reports of others who have, however. Duty free is almost always a sure bet for DCC anywhere in the world.

Quote:
To me, US is the most tipped country, and it's maybe the only place that you can put a tip on CC after the authorization. Like UK, France, Australia, you need to tell them before hands how much you tip them so they run the card by that new amount.
It's definitely not the only place, but I would say the US and Canada are the two most common places where you would sign in the tip. I always feel slightly uncomfortable with the waiter hovering over me as I enter the tip, especially if I'm in a country where tipping isn't common. I usually match local customs, so I'm sure I've slighted some waiters by giving a 0-10% tip in locations where perhaps they've gotten a 15-20% tip from Americans before. I will certainly adjust if there is an included service charge or if the establishment deliberately tries to DCC me.
Quote: I did make a purchase at David Jones (wonder what the owner of the department store felt when Pirates of the Caribbean was premiered), and didn't see DCC. I believe duty free could be different.

Well not quite true. I know of one London restaurant chain, there have to be more, where while you can argue the actual authorization does not take place till after the tip is entered, they hand you the terminal either after swiping the card (US mag strip) or inserting the emv card and then tell you to follow the instructions on the screen which starts by asking you whether you wish to enter a tip and guides you through the process which at the end asks for a pin if card is c&p and then tells you to return the terminal to the waiter/waitress who presses a button to authorize and complete the transaction. If a signature is required, it prints a signature slip for you to sign. It ends the thing by printing a receipt for you.
Quote: Well not quite true. I know of one London restaurant chain, there have to be more, where while you can argue the actual authorization does not take place till after the tip is entered...
I've only seen this at Wagamama, as you've described, and at Outback Steakhouse at Niagara Falls (before it closed). I think from a DCC perspective I prefer this because you have control of the terminal throughout the transaction. With the way it works in these scenarios, you'd have more control to abort the transaction if you get a hint of forced DCC.
Quote: It's been my experience that DCC is rare in Australia, but it can still happen. David Jones, Myer, and duty free shops and airports are the prime locations for DCC in Australia. You don't have to worry too much with most restaurants and cafes although DCC can happen.
My first ever DCC experience was in Australia, back in 2007, at a cafe on the north side of Sydney harbor, near a ferry dock. The lady said the DCC was automatic & unavoidable because my card was American. I accepted it that time, but now I know better.
Quote: Duty free is almost always a sure bet for DCC anywhere in the world.
Just did a purchase on the top floor of DFS Sydney (so small), charged me AUD without any human interaction... Maybe Australia has been cleansed?

Quote: Well not quite true. I know of one London restaurant chain, there have to be more, where while you can argue the actual authorization does not take place till after the tip is entered, they hand you the terminal either after swiping the card (US mag strip) or inserting the emv card and then tell you to follow the instructions on the screen which starts by asking you whether you wish to enter a tip and guides you through the process which at the end asks for a pin if card is c&p and then tells you to return the terminal to the waiter/waitress who presses a button to authorize and complete the transaction. If a signature is required, it prints a signature slip for you to sign. It ends the thing by printing a receipt for you.
I've seen this before in a Chinese restaurant in Denmark, where the waiter tells you push this button for tip and push that button for no tip (when I tipped according to US standard, she was shocked)... To me in a country where tipping is not common, a POS like this let customers feel uneasy...

Either way, in these countries, tip must be included in the transaction amount in the first place (and you can tell tipping is not mandatory in these countries). Anyway, I do feel that the US routine is better, that you can just leave your signed slip with the tip amount and go.
37  77  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  97  137