FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:13 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
First time encountering DCC in Australia. My wife and I sat down at Coffee and Chocolate at a Queens Plaza in Brisbane. The DVD almost happened too quickly for me to react. Now, the fact I was using my US chip-and-signature card helped somewhat because the cashier immediately handed me the terminal to enter a PIN. The cashier looked confused and I saw USD 23.7x. (I forget the exact amount as I was in shock of it happening.) I felt like in the movies where the character realized he had just stepped on a landmine. The cashier said, "Oh. You can press OK." In order to decline DCC I actually had to press the yellow CLR button. Pressing the green OK/ENTER would have resulted in DCC being accepted. The original amount in AUD was $24.15. With the pending charge on Chase's website being $22.67, the markup would be around 4.5%. This was an ANZ terminal. Nice try, ANZ, but I refuse to fall victim to DCC.

I have the customer copy of the receipt which shows AUD abd is free of DCC verbiage. Combined with the pending charge and comparing to Visa's current exchange rate, I think I have safely avoided DCC. After comparing my receipts here is the breakdown of the 12 purchases I've made (all with a Chase Visa) in Australia:

Commonwealth Bank: 3
Westpac: 3
ANZ: 2 (1 tried DCC)
Nab: 1
Suncorp: 1
Unknown: 2 (CityRail and Coles)

Last edited by Majuki; Jun 11, 2014 at 12:31 am