FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:20 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by zyxlsy
I did make a purchase at David Jones (wonder what the owner of the department store felt when Pirates of the Caribbean was premiered), and didn't see DCC. I believe duty free could be different.
I wondered the same thing. I have yet to make a purchase at either department store, so I haven't encountered DCC personally. There have been reports of others who have, however. Duty free is almost always a sure bet for DCC anywhere in the world.

To me, US is the most tipped country, and it's maybe the only place that you can put a tip on CC after the authorization. Like UK, France, Australia, you need to tell them before hands how much you tip them so they run the card by that new amount.
It's definitely not the only place, but I would say the US and Canada are the two most common places where you would sign in the tip. I always feel slightly uncomfortable with the waiter hovering over me as I enter the tip, especially if I'm in a country where tipping isn't common. I usually match local customs, so I'm sure I've slighted some waiters by giving a 0-10% tip in locations where perhaps they've gotten a 15-20% tip from Americans before. I will certainly adjust if there is an included service charge or if the establishment deliberately tries to DCC me.