FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:49 pm
zyxlsy

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by Majuki
Duty free is almost always a sure bet for DCC anywhere in the world.
Just did a purchase on the top floor of DFS Sydney (so small), charged me AUD without any human interaction... Maybe Australia has been cleansed?

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Well not quite true. I know of one London restaurant chain, there have to be more, where while you can argue the actual authorization does not take place till after the tip is entered, they hand you the terminal either after swiping the card (US mag strip) or inserting the emv card and then tell you to follow the instructions on the screen which starts by asking you whether you wish to enter a tip and guides you through the process which at the end asks for a pin if card is c&p and then tells you to return the terminal to the waiter/waitress who presses a button to authorize and complete the transaction. If a signature is required, it prints a signature slip for you to sign. It ends the thing by printing a receipt for you.
I've seen this before in a Chinese restaurant in Denmark, where the waiter tells you push this button for tip and push that button for no tip (when I tipped according to US standard, she was shocked)... To me in a country where tipping is not common, a POS like this let customers feel uneasy...

Either way, in these countries, tip must be included in the transaction amount in the first place (and you can tell tipping is not mandatory in these countries). Anyway, I do feel that the US routine is better, that you can just leave your signed slip with the tip amount and go.