Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not much to fight. I think all banks are getting tighter on churners.

I was lucky: I got in on the Chase BA 100k offer - barely, as indicated by the credit limit of exactly $5,000 - and was then rejected on a Hyatt Chase card that I didn't care a huge amount about. (Just wanted the 2 hotel nights.)

Citi continues to market hard to me but I've churned AA MC in the past so I'm not doing anything new with them.

Capital One recently offered me a lower card than I applied for - reason cited as too much churn. (I declined the offer.)

Credit score is high, debt-to-income ratio is low, history is long, no negative marks. Basically, it's just that I've milked this thing hard for 10+ years, stocking FF accounts with signup bonuses, and now I think I have to lay low for a year or so. At least I already have the real cards I need in-hand (HH, SPG, Marriott, US Airways, BA, and one holdover Thank You Network card).

Only thing I wonder is whether it works for me or against me to dump one or two cards... Or perhaps call a couple banks and ask for credit limits to be reeled in a bit. (A few of them have ridiculous limits that I do not need.) I know average age of account and debt-to-credit-limit are important metrics, which is why I'm not sure whether this will help or hurt.

For whatever reason, banks seem to be unwilling to open a new account and simply shift existing credit. Seems like that would work in their favor: another annual fee for them and no increased exposure. Nor will they take an existing account and switch it to another FF or hotel program... Again, kind of surprised that they won't do it if it generates a new annual fee or renewed card activity. (I've even attempted to do this *without* asking for any kind of sign-up bonus.)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:16 pm
jk2

Well, banks offer good sign up bonuses - we are going for it. Reps asked - why did I apply for all those cards - and I answered honestly - for sign up bonuses. Anyway, I may call them tomorrow - may be rep will be different. By the way, my wife called yesterday with the same issue - she had the same issue - got cards in las October, December, February and April (BA Visa). Rep asked the same questions - why did you apply for all those cards? Answer "for sign up bonuses" was enough for him and he approved an application.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE
I have the US Airways Premier World Barclay's/Juniper Mastercard and read in this thread that there is a 10k mile "anniversary" bonus each year, but they said there is no such thing?

It also says "10k miles upon each subsequent opening anniversary" on this website: http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans

However, I've called again and they assure me NONE of their cards have any such thing as an anniversary bonus and only a one-time new account opening bonus.

WHAAA? Do I have the wrong card or company or something? I think my annual fee is like $75 or $89 or something and it says Premier World with a US Airways plane on it and I believe I opened my account ~3 years ago from mostmiles.com

I have the Premier and have had it for more than a year. If you spend $25K in a calendar year, 10K of the miles you earned from the spend will be converted to preferred qualifying miles. Perhaps that is what the post you saw meant? I did not get a 10k anniversary bonus; I did get the 10K miles converted to preferred qualifying.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I wish these special offers were more spaced out.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Citi moves credit lines

Originally Posted by pinniped
For whatever reason, banks seem to be unwilling to open a new account and simply shift existing credit. Seems like that would work in their favor: another annual fee for them and no increased exposure.
This month we had 2 cases w/Citi of moving some of the credit-lines from existing cards to new cards (and adding another $1-2K). The 1st was Citi-AA to Citi-AA-Amex (companion, so no fee), the 2nd was Citi-AA to Citi-HH-Visa (no fee).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IntFF
This month we had 2 cases w/Citi of moving some of the credit-lines from existing cards to new cards (and adding another $1-2K). The 1st was Citi-AA to Citi-AA-Amex (companion, so no fee), the 2nd was Citi-AA to Citi-HH-Visa (no fee).
Were they able to confirm that as an option to you before they initiated a hard pull on your credit?

I'm thinking of my situation with Chase: I have 5 current accounts with them (although 3 are pretty dormant), total credit line combined around $90k. I would like a new account with them, for which I'd be happy for them to transfer some of that credit line for the new account or even kill one of the 5 accounts (of my choosing) entirely.

But...they won't do that. Is Citi actually willing to have this kind of real dialogue with you *before* a credit check? I understand they'll still do the hard pull to verify that nothing has changed about you, but I'd want assurances that they will open the new account barring negative marks.

Chase won't even have this kind of meaningful dialogue. They just say "apply and the computer will tell us whether you're accepted."
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase won't even have this kind of meaningful dialogue. They just say "apply and the computer will tell us whether you're accepted."
Many here have claimed having a discussion with the credit team and closing one card or moving part of the credit line from other cards to a new one.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Were they able to confirm that as an option to you before they initiated a hard pull on your credit?

I'm thinking of my situation with Chase: I have 5 current accounts with them (although 3 are pretty dormant), total credit line combined around $90k. I would like a new account with them, for which I'd be happy for them to transfer some of that credit line for the new account or even kill one of the 5 accounts (of my choosing) entirely.

But...they won't do that. Is Citi actually willing to have this kind of real dialogue with you *before* a credit check? I understand they'll still do the hard pull to verify that nothing has changed about you, but I'd want assurances that they will open the new account barring negative marks.

Nope.

Chase has moved lines to approve me twice in the last 4 months. They phoned me on my Marriott and asked to do it. Then after rejection for the SWA Biz card I phoned and they approved me if I would shift some lines.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I was initially rejected for a business card - called the credit department at Barclays today. The Barclays CSR was very professional and after asking a few questions graciously approved my application.

Is there a US Biz card with this promo?

I thought it was just 25K and fee not waived.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Many here have claimed having a discussion with the credit team and closing one card or moving part of the credit line from other cards to a new one.
Is there a phone number for the "credit team"? How do people reach that group?

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Nope.

Chase has moved lines to approve me twice in the last 4 months. They phoned me on my Marriott and asked to do it. Then after rejection for the SWA Biz card I phoned and they approved me if I would shift some lines.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a discussion and agreement to move the credit line before the hard pull is done. I understand they have to grab a "fresh" credit report to open the new account but I would want that done by the banker with whom I made the agreement, preferably while I'm on the phone.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a discussion and agreement to move the credit line before the hard pull is done. I understand they have to grab a "fresh" credit report to open the new account but I would want that done by the banker with whom I made the agreement, preferably while I'm on the phone.
Sorry misunderstood, I was talking about those who call up after getting rejected, not before applying. Have not heard of anyone trying to do that.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my experience, it seems that the software that assesses your credit sees a credit line reduction as a negative, so maybe it's better to wait for a rejection, then have them rearrange credit lines.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:07 pm

still valid?

Is this offer still valid? I tried to apply from the site that is linked to and just get an error message saying to call them. At the # provided they say they don't have this offer. Thanks for any helping with a working link to this offer or something similar.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
35K FIRST PURCHASE LINK

Yes it's just US Air and yes it's Barclays. But for those of us frozen out by Citi AA and maxed at Chase and AmEx, Barclays is another company to get a relationship with. Also for some of us (like DCA) US is the primary carrier.

US Air now has an waived-fee Dividend Miles card. That's extremely unusual for Barclays. The initial bonus after 1st use is 35K miles. Each anniversary 10K more miles is given ($89 annual fee).

There is also an very attractive balance transfer offer: Up to 10,000 miles for a $10K balance transfer with 0% interest for 6 months and a maximum BT fee of $100.

My credit line was extended on the telephone to $11K so I could take full advantage of the $10K BT with one time $100 fee. The BT was transacted and my other account balance paid off within 3 days.

Holders of this credit card get 5K discounts on reward redemptions.

I believe the card also helps restore expired miles.

US is a *Alliance member.

In addition:

*Earn 10,000 miles towards Dividend Miles Preferred status
*Up to two $99 companion tickets annually
*Preferred check-In
*Preferred Zone 2 boarding
*One complimentary US Airways Club day pass annually
*Discount on annual US Airways Club membership

Barclays is good to get a relationship with as they have many travel cards. I've been surprised at how pleasant they are on the telephone and how good their online account is.

There is also a no-fee US Air card which one can downgrade to after the first year to avoid the annual fee if the benefits of the regular card aren't useful.

I have no idea whether churning or coins are possible.

There is a biz version of this card but it has a 25K bonus and the $79 fee must be paid.

Updates:
1. Many people are getting approved for only the lower level Platinum card with just a 10K bonus. Nasty bait-and-switch since this is not the offer they applied under.

2. Barclays seems to be pulling TransUnion almost everyplace in US which is a big + (unless they are pulling all 3 which would be a big - !)
All the extra details are greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh.

That's impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.