Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by chemist661
I went on the credit forum on www.creditboards.com and found the "backdoor" number for Barclays.

The number is (888) 232-0780. I will try it tomorrow.
Success getting reconsidered and going from Platinum to Premier World.

Here's my specific situation:
* I applied ~2 weeks ago (same day as Capital One Venture) online and took a very conservative definition of income (just my earned) because they didn't include "household" in the definition.
* Instant approval for the Platinum card. Bummer. Waited for the card to arrive.
* Called the number above and ultimately was transferred to credit approval/reconsideration department. I asked if they could explain what factor resulted in the lower approval. They couldn't but did review my file and said everything looked great except perhaps debt to income and a few, but not too many, inquiries (they mentioned mortgages from 11/2009, oddly). The rep said they can't change the product (and she was knowledgeable enough that I believed her) and that the best path was to reapply whereupon I'd be rejected (due to the fact I already had the product) and then call in again for reconsideration. She did warn me that there was no way to avoid another inquiry.
* Tried applying by phone since the prior rep said the T&C over the phone clearly state household income. The rep there did confirm household income was fine but couldn't offer the same 35k+ offer.
* Applied online and got the message that the app would be considered.
* Immediately called 866-369-1283 (open 8-midnight eastern) which the first rep gave me for reconsideration. Reached a new rep, described again the situation and he confirmed the first rep was right (and even made notes in my file). He then reconsidered the app and I was approved for the Premier World card.

I was polite the whole way through and the credit approval department was extremely professional. They had a legitimate reason to give me a lower limit on the first app so I can't complain (and the T&C about offering the Platinum are clear). And the advise they gave me to get approved worked. A perfect solution - no. A pretty good one for me, yes... Especially when I found out that my 10k Platinum card appears to still be open so I guess I'll take the bonus since they got 2 inquiries.

My Lesson: if it doesn't say household income, call the app in and confirm it. I don't ever misstate anything on our applications and that should have been a red flag for me. Our mortgages on two properties are definitely out of whack with our income if we only include half the earned income and none of the rent on the 2nd property.

Next steps:
1) Waiting on the Premier World card to get here so I can activate it first and get the initial charge/bonus going.
2) Will hold on to the Platinum card and activate it shortly after the first statement on the Premier World card to see if I can pick up the 10k.
3) Figure out if I can use all those companion tickets somehow. It's a tough one since I mostly fly Delta but could also be quite useful, especially if I can find a US voucher.

I'd probably do the balance transfer deal but with only $5k on the Premier World card (and lower on the Platinum), the math doesn't work out.

There's a good chance I keep one of the cards. Buying US Air miles at $.005 on renewal's not a bad deal or even $.009/mile if the companion vouchers work well. The only gotcha is that I have to fly US Air when I try to consistently fly Delta (for my status). We'll see.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: All of em...
I got the pending application, 7-10 days approval. Sucks. Probably means I'm getting denied. I've been approved for 5 cards in the last 5 weeks, and denied for a couple.

Suppose that means I probably need to stop applying for 6+ months :/
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
msp2msy I think it would be safer to get meet the requirements for the 35K first and then the 10K so that you don't get refused miles for being a repeat customer.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
msp2msy I think it would be safer to get meet the requirements for the 35K first and then the 10K so that you don't get refused miles for being a repeat customer.
I didn't state if very clearly but that's exactly my intent. I'll satisfy the Premier World card for 35k before even activating the 10k card.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: All of em...
called the CSR number a couple hours after applying, went over my employment (I'm self employed by owning a business), income, recent credit card openings (2 new citi cards), and a balance on an AMEX card (I pay it in full every month), and then she reviewed my credit report.

APPROVED - and I verified this is for the WORLD Mastercard, for the 35,000 miles after first purchase. Not the Platinum card.

CHA CHING!
That's 6 card approvals in 5 weeks or less. I'm getting nervous
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I was initially rejected for a business card - called the credit department at Barclays today. The Barclays CSR was very professional and after asking a few questions graciously approved my application.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:44 am

Applied, deferred, then an hour late approved with a large enough credit line for $10k BT.

Quick tip: You can see which card you got by pulling up the "check your status" link. According to mine I got the World Mastercard!

Last edited by diljs; Apr 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

Husband got the Premier World and first statement closed with zero bonus. I've sent a secure message. I don't see any posts with a similar situation so it makes me nervous.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Any success to CHANGE Platinum to World Premier

Any success to CHANGE Platinum to World Premier ? How did you do it?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tassojunior

I believe the card also helps restore expired miles.
Thanks tassojunior, for this link. But why do you think getting the card can help restore expired miles????? I had some awhile back and would like them restored but see nowhere does it suggest this possibility, so please elaborate.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Just applied for the 35k miles Premier World card and got instant approval with an alright credit limit... for a World card. (Yet the photo was still of the Premier World card.)

We'll see when it comes which card I actually get and if they try to pull a bait and switch on the miles offer.

I also tried to create an online account as the next step and got an error message that their system was down. Awesome.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My card arrived Saturday. Instantly approved, but the longest I've ever waited to receive the card. Usually it's only a few days.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kts262
Just applied for the 35k miles Premier World card and got instant approval with an alright credit limit... for a World card. (Yet the photo was still of the Premier World card.)

We'll see when it comes which card I actually get and if they try to pull a bait and switch on the miles offer.

I also tried to create an online account as the next step and got an error message that their system was down. Awesome.
dont worry....you got the premier card.... unless it specifically says "platinum" and the credit line is super low like 2K. i know b/c they pulled that on my wife.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Originally Posted by diclemeg
dont worry....you got the premier card.... unless it specifically says "platinum" and the credit line is super low like 2K. i know b/c they pulled that on my wife.
I'm hoping it works out that way but I'm still a bit worried with the "World" and not the "Premier World" Credit line was 5k so I don't think they are pulling the "Platinum" switcharoo on me but we'll see what shows up in my mailbox.

Sorry to hear they pulled that on your wife, that's pretty weak.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by kts262
I'm hoping it works out that way but I'm still a bit worried with the "World" and not the "Premier World" Credit line was 5k so I don't think they are pulling the "Platinum" switcharoo on me but we'll see what shows up in my mailbox.

Sorry to hear they pulled that on your wife, that's pretty weak.
Well I remember very clearly that when she was approved, it said Platinum.

Note, that the welcome email you recieved, you can tell what card you got by this telltale line in the benefits list.

You got a PREMIER if it says...
Annual companion certificate redeemable for up to two $99 companion tickets

And you got a Platinum if it says....
Annual companion certificate redeemable for one $149 companion ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.