Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Well crap, got suckered into this as well. Got their platinum card and 10K posted after first purchase. called CSR and got some girl (turned out to be a guy named "Brian") who told me that he IS the supervisor and nothing can be done. Said after 2 payments I can request "upgrade" and opened some sort of case for me. My Citi card has 37K limit, these idiots gave me 3K. Wow, what a scam.
Is this kind of bait and switch thing even legal?
Welcome to the club.

It is in the T&C of the offer that they may give you a different card.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by tothetrail
Would you mind posting data points about when you applied and when your miles posted? . . .
Both my 35K and my wife's posted the day after the statement close date. You may want to give the bank a call and find out what your statement close date is (the close date on the website showed N/A until the first statement posted). You should see your miles the day after that date. Remember that you'll need a purchase before the statement close date as well (we each had a single $4.00 purchase on our cards).
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Welcome to the club.

It is in the T&C of the offer that they may give you a different card.
Well, this is my first and last Barklays card than..
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Both my 35K and my wife's posted the day after the statement close date. You may want to give the bank a call and find out what your statement close date is (the close date on the website showed N/A until the first statement posted). You should see your miles the day after that date. Remember that you'll need a purchase before the statement close date as well (we each had a single $4.00 purchase on our cards).
Thanks Splittin'! I took care of the spend on the first day I received it. But good idea, about calling about the close date. I'm not sure if it was Barclay's or Citi, but one of them asked me if I would like to pick my close date. I didn't think it would matter at the time, so I didn't give a specific date. I just may have to.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by tothetrail; Mar 18, 2011 at 6:53 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Well, this is my first and last Barklays card than..
They're not the only bank that does that. Bank of America and Citi come to mind immediately.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GamecockFan
They're not the only bank that does that. Bank of America and Citi come to mind immediately.
When I applied for my AS Visa card with BofA, I got a lesser card than the one I applied for. I applied for a Visa Signature, but got a Platinum Plus Visa instead, with a $2500 limit. I also wasn't approved instantly. I always assumed both of these things were due to the fact that this was my first (and so far only) credit card.

I have a credit score of 781 and have never been late with a payment (I've even paid early a couple of times), so I have no idea what would happen if I applied for a new card now.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; Mar 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
But at least with Citi and Chase if they approve you for a "lesser" card (i.e. a "platinum" MasterCard instead of a World MasterCard), they still give you the same sign on bonus.

I agree that it seems a bit underhanded to be able to unilaterally give an applicant an entirely different card and sign-on bonus than what they applied for, even if it is in their terms, since the sign on bonus is largely what drives people to apply for these cards to begin with. Just creates a lot of ill will towards them--not something you would think they would want to do to a customer that they should hope to have a lasting relationship with.

By the way, I agree that Barclays customer service is without a doubt the worst of any credit card company I have ever worked with--and I say this as someone who uses a Barclay-issued Travelocity Amex on a daily basis.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:32 am

Programs: Too many to list
Yes, but they give milage bonus unlike these assnecks at barklays.
I can care less if its 3.5 K spending limit, doesnt hurt me e-feelings at all. I wanted those 35K miles and I got 10 instead.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: US CP
Well, my little experiment might have worked.

Data points:

2/22/11 Applied and approved for the 35K card
3/6/11 Received card and made my first purchase
3/16/11 Made an online payment (hoping my statement would close and have the miles post as soon as possible)
3/17/11 Statement Date, with 36,273 miles earned, yes!
3/18/11 Called Barclay's to find when my normal statement closing date would be and when my miles would be reflected in my account (without checking my Barclay's account first this morning.) He let me know that my statement closing date would be on the 17th and that my bonus miles have been posted. I asked about the bonus miles only because they are not in my US Airways account yet:

CSR: You are referring to the 10K miles?
Me: No, I'm referring to the 35K. (Thinking, oh great, I'm only getting the 10K)
CSR: Let me check on that. Oh, yes, you have 36,273 miles and they were posted on February 23.
Me: February 23? Okay, thank you.

Now just waiting for the miles to appear on my US Airways account.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:15 pm

Just activated this card, and was excited when the agent informed me that I can use this card for gas and/or groceries. That functionality will come in handy.

Immediately transferred a balance from a Citicard that has a boatload of coin purchases on it, so getting 45k US for $100 isn't bad (through it was really 35k for $0 and 10k for $100).

USAir Premier World Mastercards can be churned.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Just activated this card, and was excited when the agent informed me that I can use this card for gas and/or groceries. That functionality will come in handy.
Am I missing something here? All major credit cards can be used for gas and groceries.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:29 pm

Am I missing something here? All major credit cards can be used for gas and groceries.
Not at all. I thought it was funny that the agent told me that this ability is a benefit to this card.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Not at all. I thought it was funny that the agent told me that this ability is a benefit to this card.
Oh, My sarcasm font must not be working again.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I applied and received instant approval for the World MasterCard, so I expect I'll be getting the 35K miles. I'm aiming for an award trip to Asia in C from the Midwest eventually. Would that be on partner airlines? Is it possible for a non-Elite?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I applied and received instant approval for the World MasterCard, so I expect I'll be getting the 35K miles. I'm aiming for an award trip to Asia in C from the Midwest eventually. Would that be on partner airlines? Is it possible for a non-Elite?
US does not fly to Asia, so it would be on partners. Quite a few of them such as CO/UA/AC/SQ/OZ/CA/TG/NH.

Also possible as a non-elite. Is there any airline that restricts flight award redemption for non-elites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.