Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I recall Barclays was a PITA about transferring the credit line (had to call a special department with limited hours). But when I churned it and got a second card, the analyst was able to split my credit limit between the two USDM cards from $18K on one to $9K on two.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. I actually also got my second card by splitting my first, but my starting credit line was puny, so I don't think I'd be able to leverage that trick a second time unless I was able to reconsolidate the lines.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. I actually also got my second card by splitting my first, but my starting credit line was puny, so I don't think I'd be able to leverage that trick a second time unless I was able to reconsolidate the lines.
Actually, I think I was auto-approved because of my current lower credit limit. When I had 18K on one card, Barclays wouldn't issue another one. Now that I have one cad with a 9K limit, the issued another card with a 9K limit.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mmaoao
Belllaaa, Did you apply using the 'Chairman' version and did you just leave the 'employee ID#' blank?Thanks for the reply in advance.
Yes, I did I use the the 'Chairman' version, the first link on the threat and left the 'employee ID#' blank.
Good luck!!!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

I would venture to guess the Employee ID is simply an optional field. I think it's hilarious that bloggers are now using this as an excuse to promote their affiliate links instead.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
I would venture to guess the Employee ID is simply an optional field. I think it's hilarious that bloggers are now using this as an excuse to promote their affiliate links instead.
I used the link on this thread. Left the employee ID field blank. Got the card, no fee, and miles posted after first use and statement closed. No problems here.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
It has not been so for those who were approved for platinum card. However let's remain optimistic and see this as a YMMV situation.
Send them a secure message and let them confirm it in writing.
You are mistaken, the platinum card has been getting the full bonus for quite a while now. I got it on the platinum card last february. It's in the terms, but I guess people don't read those anymore.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Well I think the way it works is this:

a person who has a lot to say one day realizes, hey I should bog about this stuff (I have actually considered the option because I am always babbling on about pretty much every mile topic from how to get em to what to do if you don't but it's not currently for me).

Then the person figures if they blog, it will help people, but what can I do to actually make something from this? Ads? Offers? They learn that only after a great number of hits are generated that the CC companies will even consider them for certain levels of whatever it is that gives them a kick back, so they make posts to their valued viewers... people they know and their friends. And they ask those friends to hit the site as much as possible. The site grows.

Then the CC companies begin to give kick backs.
Then the blogger starts to make a bit of money.
His or her SO says, hey you should make money at this stuff because you are already doing it anyway. So the blogger quits the day job (or gets canned anyway because of too much miles stuff online lol, or already has the propensity to work as an entrepreneur anyway so why not do more)
Then things change some...

Now the blog isnt just about cool helpful and organized posts that people in the know can read, instead it begins to own you. You have to keep doing it, keep content flowing, strive for that next level, get away from some of the very stuff that may have made you get where you are to begin with (for example if you started out trashing on say, mileage malls, and this is what got your core readers to like you, well, now these malls want you to help make them money so you have to stop doing that!)

So you may need to post about deals or CCs all the time--and even out some good deals just to get there! After all most reporters have to, by nature, report! It's what they do... it's all they do! (loosely quoted from the Terminator where John Connor said about the machine: It's what he does. IT'S ALL HE DOES!)

BUT, to circle back to THIS card, it is, as you've said, highly possible that Barclays is just not giving any $$$ to any blogger right now so that's why it's not posted! Which is also why, thankfully, its churn is not yet dead. So why would/should anyone blog about it if it is not going to bring you any lovin? Ah remember the days when said blogger did that anyway? Well now, like I said, it owns you, so you cant, you wont, and you probably shouldn't--not unless and until the business does come around and begin to pay you for your posting about them. The game changes and the new alliances are between bloggers and those who support this thinking. And the blogger is a hero to his or her SO because hey, you took me to Thailand on all those miles and points AND you earned money doing it! Is it right? Wrong? If you could would you? So there is no real reason to include the US Airways CC unless THEY pay up as well.

But hey, I could be off on some of this stuff.
MM
My blog got started pretty much how Marathon Man describes above, except I have only a small niche blog about ecotourism rather than a mainstream miles and points blog. I don't think that niche blogs will ever be big enough to attract referral contracts with credit card issuers so the only way we can make money is from Google ads or affiliate click-thrus to various merchants like Amazon.

I have had two versions of the US card. The first one I applied for the Signature in 2009 and got demoted to Platinum with the lesser sign up bonus. The second card I got was a year ago and had the 10k annual bonus as part of the deal. I haven't tried to churn it again, but for the time being I am happy to be getting an annual bonus that is worth more than the annual fee so I am keeping this card. I didn't use any bloggers links and Barclays has a loyal customer because I am getting the benefit.

I think the banks need to rethink the whole affiliate links on blogs marketing idea. The blogs who pimp credit cards are not going to get them loyal customers, in fact the same blogs who pimp the cards for the sign up bonuses (and commissions) also actively encourage the readers to cancel the card before the annual fee comes due, then apply for another card using their links. How is this good for the banks in the long run? Why don't they get rid of the affiliate commissions and give it back to the customer with increased annual bonuses and give us a reason to KEEP the card instead of churning it?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Fee waived, no spend, US Air Card, 40K-55K + benies

Mrs. Mike2200 and I applied from thread here received instant approval, left employee # blank will report back upon receiving points etc... 2nd churn of card closed previous one last April....

Last edited by mike2200; Dec 25, 2012 at 9:33 am
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Ok, who has non affiliate link for this new card? I already had 2 of the other one.
I'll give it a try. Why not.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:15 am

I have two of the cards, 40K bonus each. The link on this thread works just fine.

Has anyone tried and had success getting a third card?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Does Barclays allow getting the annual fee refunded if canceling the card within X days after it posts like other major banks? Or does one need to cancel before the annual fee is charged?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:49 am

I just applied a few minutes ago using the chariman's offer with annual fee waived (leaving employee number blank) and received instant approval. I'll have to wait to see if points actually post though.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Tiki
I think the banks need to rethink the whole affiliate links on blogs marketing idea. The blogs who pimp credit cards are not going to get them loyal customers, in fact the same blogs who pimp the cards for the sign up bonuses (and commissions) also actively encourage the readers to cancel the card before the annual fee comes due, then apply for another card using their links. How is this good for the banks in the long run? Why don't they get rid of the affiliate commissions and give it back to the customer with increased annual bonuses and give us a reason to KEEP the card instead of churning it?
Boy oh boy do I agree with you on this! It seems crazy that the credit card companies actually support the bloggers who feed them the very worst offenders in the churn and burn m. o. Quite frankly, the thought of "churning" never occurred to me before reading and rereading blogs.

I'm slowly drifting from the hold-a-card-for -years mentality to "hmmmm... maybe I will get that card more than once, or cancel when the fee comes due, or use it simply long enough to get the bonus(es)". I am in the midst of moving from a class -A, long term customer, to, well, a more opportunistic one. It used to be, hands down, the bank benefited from me. Now, basically because of the blogs, the tables have turned and I really couldn't say whether or not I am still Class-A, somewhat profitable, or something less than that.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Interesting. Just got approved for my 3rd card. Previous canceled 3 months ago.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Boy oh boy do I agree with you on this! It seems crazy that the credit card companies actually support the bloggers who feed them the very worst offenders in the churn and burn m. o. Quite frankly, the thought of "churning" never occurred to me before reading and rereading blogs.
My guess is that the banks have calculated that enough people either don't play the game well enough or screw up (end up with balances, etc) that they'll still make money off of the blogger customer streams. But it's definitely true that the blogs are basically in the business of trying to create bad customers. What I do find surprising is that they're allowed to be so cavalier about it.

But back on topic, @Bored_Russian, did you get an instant approval or did you have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.