Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevinwangjk

3. Asked if there is a particular reason I applied to so many credits recently, I answered since I will start to work my expenses will increase in all categories, so it'd be nice if I can maximize my rewards with different cards.

Should I try again and answer these questions differently? For question 2 should I lie and say I have been working for this company for a few months? I don't ever plan on using this CC much, just want the signing bonuses...

It may come down to the length of credit history and your annual income. You are fresh out of college and even though you have been able to pay your credit cards on time up until now it is not uncommon for a bank to be a little weary of someone who does not have an established form of income. I'm in agreement with the others. Just wait a little bit (3 months) and apply again. You will get approved eventually and then you can start churning the card every few months and racking up those 40K bonus's
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 am

Thank you everyone. I think I will listen to everybody's advice and give up on this one.

I think I was just a little upset that the other two companies both accepted my projecting income happily, while this one wouldn't consider it. Plus that my company already paid me part of my signing bonuses, and the base salary is easily more than double US average household income, it's clearly that I won't abuse the credits given to me (not so clear to them I know). All I want is the MILES . Anyways, I understand their concern, will try again around May.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:39 pm

Churn Rejected

I applied for my second card.
Still have original card active. Original card approved in April '12.
Got application pending upon submission.
Called reconsideration line and was told I was denied because I already have that product and they do not like to approve someone for a duplicate product.

Would not split credit line for a second card or other alternatices.

Guess I will need to cancel original card and wait a month or so and try again.

Any other ideas
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jrreynolds
Called reconsideration line and was told I was denied because I already have that product and they do not like to approve someone for a duplicate product.

Any other ideas
Exactly what happened to my wife. She canceled the existing card & will reapply in 2013. The nerve of these guys.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
jrreynolds and philemer -

Did you apply for the same card that you already had (ie had a visa, applied for another visa)? Or did you apply for a different card (ie had a visa and applied for a MC)? If the same, I'm not surprised they said no. If a different card...well, that might be more complicated...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
jrreynolds and philemer -

Did you apply for the same card that you already had (ie had a visa, applied for another visa)? Or did you apply for a different card (ie had a visa and applied for a MC)? If the same, I'm not surprised they said no. If a different card...well, that might be more complicated...
I thought there was only a MC version of this card??
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by y2chen
I thought there was only a MC version of this card??
Currently true. There was a Bank of America Visa at one point but no more. Both the current personal and business versions of this card listed on the Barclays website are Mastercards.

The folks in this thread who have reported success in getting two cards have been getting MCs, not an MC and a Visa.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:02 pm

Any other ideas
Also, if you call in they will do a triple pull on you. Not worth calling.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:31 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott

Any other ideas
I think it's a YMMV type of situation. Both my wife and myself applied for our first card in April of this year and were approved for a 2nd one in November. I don't know what makes them deny some cards and not others but we were both instantly approved.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:01 pm

thanks for the data!

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I don't think you need to worry about putting a lot of spend on the card. If you're target for one of their minimum spend offers it might make sense to redirect your spend anyway.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:15 pm

I've read a good part of this thread and I think I'm coming to the following conclusion regarding getting a 2nd card with the the 1st still open: you're in the clear if your application would otherwise be instantly approved, but if you aren't, it's much tougher to recon. Clearly many are getting instant approvals for a 2nd card, while those calling recon are having much more trouble since the reps always seem to point out the duplicate card and don't like it. I and several others have been able to push a 2nd card through recon, but at least in my case, it took splitting my existing line and schmoozing up the rep to do it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I wonder if the strategy for getting a second (or third...) card approved instantly would be to be sure your existing card doesn't have too high a credit limit. For example, I recently applied for this (my first ever US Air card and my first ever Barclay's card). Got instant approval online and a $20,000 CL. That seems excessive to me (for this card, which I don't intend to use heavily). If I call and get that cut in half (down to $10K, which would still be more than enough for this card for me), then if I went online a few days later to apply for a second card, maybe their system would be more inclined to grant me another.

I do know that many folks here say to never voluntarily reduce a credit line on any card unless you're trading that away with the reconsideration folks - but in this case I'm hoping to just get the card approved automatically so I can skip the reconsideration folks.

I dunno, just a thought. Haven't even received my first card yet so it's still moot for me.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I wonder if the strategy for getting a second (or third...) card approved instantly would be to be sure your existing card doesn't have too high a credit limit. For example, I recently applied for this (my first ever US Air card and my first ever Barclay's card). Got instant approval online and a $20,000 CL. That seems excessive to me (for this card, which I don't intend to use heavily). If I call and get that cut in half (down to $10K, which would still be more than enough for this card for me), then if I went online a few days later to apply for a second card, maybe their system would be more inclined to grant me another.

I do know that many folks here say to never voluntarily reduce a credit line on any card unless you're trading that away with the reconsideration folks - but in this case I'm hoping to just get the card approved automatically so I can skip the reconsideration folks.

I dunno, just a thought. Haven't even received my first card yet so it's still moot for me.
I think the timing between the two cards is probably more important so you have a solid track record of paying. I had my first card, with a 20k limit, for 1 year before applying for the 2nd. I applied for the second and did not get instant approval. I called the reconsideration line, and all they wanted to know was why I wanted the second card. I told them that I wanted it to separate and more easily track employer reimbursed expenses and would use it instead of my company amex. They then gave me the 2nd card with a 10k limit, not touching the 20k limit on the first card. I was asked if that limit was high enough, and I said yes, but felt I could have received more if I had asked.

So, I am not sure the conclusions about the credit lines being a major factor or instant approval versus reconsideration are correct.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by metoo
If you used the link on Post 1, you should receive the 40k lst purchase, 0 annual fee lst year , 10k bonus anniversary year etc. even if you are not a Chairman for U.S. Airways.

I received my card today and called to confirm. No problem at all. MY lst closing date is december 17th. I thought of changing it to an earlier date but decided against it as i read that if it you change the closing date too early it may actually close one month later.
Can you tell me what agencies they pulled from in CA ? Only Transfer Union or others ?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by finster869:19937691
I think the timing between the two cards is probably more important so you have a solid track record of paying. I had my first card, with a 20k limit, for 1 year before applying for the 2nd. I applied for the second and did not get instant approval. I called the reconsideration line, and all they wanted to know was why I wanted the second card. I told them that I wanted it to separate and more easily track employer reimbursed expenses and would use it instead of my company amex. They then gave me the 2nd card with a 10k limit, not touching the 20k limit on the first card. I was asked if that limit was high enough, and I said yes, but felt I could have received more if I had asked.

So, I am not sure the conclusions about the credit lines being a major factor or instant approval versus reconsideration are correct.
Did you do a high amount of spending in that first card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.