Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cheaptom
When the AF is due, and assuming I want to keep the card another year, is there a new annual $300 travel credit too?
Yes. If you applied for your CSR prior to 21 May 2017, your new travel credit will be available after your December statement posts.
CMH Jay likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Posted today on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Megathread at r/churning:

"Spoke to CSR who said that they are giving only 30 days to credit back the AF on the CSR if you cancel the card, and 60 days to credit it back if you downgrade. The rep said they are not pro-rating the annual fee back if it is greater than 60 days from when you decide to downgrade."
I'd trust Chase's actions over a frontline CSR, and it's pretty much SOP for Chase to refund prorated annual AFs when downgrading a card. Of course they could change their policy for the CSR, but will they? I guess we'll see.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I'm pretty sure they will find this without me having to call.

Name:  double refund.jpg
Views: 4376
Size:  39.2 KB
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:33 am

Posted today on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Megathread at r/churning:

"Spoke to CSR who said that they are giving only 30 days to credit back the AF on the CSR if you cancel the card, and 60 days to credit it back if you downgrade. The rep said they are not pro-rating the annual fee back if it is greater than 60 days from when you decide to downgrade."

If accurate, this appears to be a change in policy to partially combat the strategy outlined in your blog post. (Affects primarily the cardmembers with a 1 September anniversary date.)
If I had a dollar for every time I've read "I spoke to a CSR who said...", and it turned out to be completely false, I'd have an awful lot of dollars. I'd be more concerned if that came via a Chase Secure Message. They tend to be far more precise.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by highops
I'm pretty sure they will find this without me having to call.

Attachment 39395
I've had this happen before. I think with an Ink+ downgrade. Chase caught it fairly quickly.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Product change to Chase Freedom. No retention offer.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:07 pm

about 10k spend .. no offer .. closed
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:55 am

Product change to Chase Freedom. No retention offer.
Did your AF post on 9/1?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I'm curious what would be a worthy retention offer for keeping CSR another year? Are folks thinking statement credit or points or a spend challenge?

I'll be keeping CSR for another year. Specifically, living in Europe and traveling to Asia a lot, the CSR's Priority Pass benefit is worth a lot to me. Lots more options from which to choose. Although, the Turkish Airline lounge at IAD is one of my favorite US domestic PP lounge out there.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by osotoc
... Priority Pass benefit is worth a lot to me. Lots more options from which to choose. Although, the Turkish Airline lounge at IAD is one of my favorite US domestic PP lounge out there.
This is a reason to have a Priority Pass membership, but not to have Sapphire Reserve. Priority Pass is a me too benefit, also available from American Express, Citi, and other issuers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
This is a reason to have a Priority Pass membership, but not to have Sapphire Reserve. Priority Pass is a me too benefit, also available from American Express, Citi, and other issuers.
Agreed completely. This card certainly got a ton of positive press at launch, I think primarily due to the generous sign-up bonus.

My wife and I both have the card (for the sign-up bonus) and was thinking we'd keep at least one, but other than the 3X for dining/travel, which is great, I'm actually struggling to identify any other unique benefit of value with this card.

I find it humorous that so many in these forums declared this card superior to the Citi Prestige (after the changes) and yet for us the Prestige is the one card that is probably the easiest for us to justify keeping. The 4th night free benefit is literally a money maker for us.

Regards
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Need some advice. Both my wife and I have our own (not au) CSRs. My wife's af will hit this month (mine's in Dec). I plan to cancel hers, but I'd like to retain the credit line. I have already transferred the URs to me, so her UR balance is 0.

What's the best downgrade option?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Need some advice. Both my wife and I have our own (not au) CSRs. My wife's af will hit this month (mine's in Dec). I plan to cancel hers, but I'd like to retain the credit line. I have already transferred the URs to me, so her UR balance is 0.

What's the best downgrade option?
If you don't want to pay an annual fee, either Freedom (5x rotating categories) or Freedom Unlimited (1.5% back on every purchase.)

You could go the CSP route but that's a $95 annual fee (not waived because you're downgrading). It would be less expensive just to make her an AU on your CSR ($75) than it would to downgrade to CSP.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
If you don't want to pay an annual fee, either Freedom (5x rotating categories) or Freedom Unlimited (1.5% back on every purchase.)

You could go the CSP route but that's a $95 annual fee (not waived because you're downgrading). It would be less expensive just to make her an AU on your CSR ($75) than it would to downgrade to CSP.
Thanks. I thought about AU for my wife on my CSR, but PP, one of the larger benefits she'd receive, in SEA is little more than a joke during peak hours....and we usually travel on the same reservation. All that said, I'm still open to reasons why retaining it makes sense for me.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Thanks. I thought about AU for my wife on my CSR, but PP, one of the larger benefits she'd receive, in SEA is little more than a joke during peak hours....and we usually travel on the same reservation. All that said, I'm still open to reasons why retaining it makes sense for me.
Based on this and your prior post, I would also recommend downgrading her card to one of the 2 Freedom products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.