Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
I'm a little confused now on the travel credit. I was approved for the CRS in February and received the travel credit that same month since I always have over $300 in travel charges in a month.

In January of 2018, if I make $300 in travel charges does that mean I'll receive a $300 statement credit and if I wanted to can downgrade the card after the January statement closes, amounting in $600 total credits on the card?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mia
mia, just wondering whether you agree with the reasoning in this cited article about PCing vs. cancelling. And if so, what card would you recommend PCing to?

Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm a little confused now on the travel credit. I was approved for the CRS in February and received the travel credit that same month since I always have over $300 in travel charges in a month.

In January of 2018, if I make $300 in travel charges does that mean I'll receive a $300 statement credit and if I wanted to can downgrade the card after the January statement closes, amounting in $600 total credits on the card?
You are mostly correct. The only correction is that your 2018 travel credit will become available after your December 2017 statement posts--not January 1, 2018.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
I got that information from the Sapphire Reserve's Offer Details:
For applications submitted before May 21, 2017, annual means the year beginning with your account open date through the first December statement date of that same year, and the 12 billing cycles starting after your December statement date through the following December statement date each year.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Alaska,Delta Silver
U S Bank New Travel Card

In the mail today:

US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card application

50K worth $750 in travel value when u spend $4500 within 90 days

Up to $325 travel credits annually for purchases: airlines, hotels, car rentals. taxis, cruise lines and more

3X per $1 on elgibile net travel purchases and mobile wallet spending

TSA or GE $!00 credit every four years

Priority Pass (probably Select)

Concierge booking including luxury hotels 500 proporties

12 Gogo Wi-Fi passes a year

more perks

CSR please add more perks as my renewal comes due in two months
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetstreamJ

US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card application
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...card-live.html

Their version of Priority Pass includes four visits per year.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...card-live.html

Their version of Priority Pass includes four visits per year.
... and you might have to deal with US Bank's "customer service", which in my estimation ranks at the bottom of all card issuers.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Called in to see if any offers since annual fee is due this month. Nothing offered, so I've PC'd to Freedom and keeping my wife's CSR.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:35 am

CSR annual fee posted 9/1. No offers, so downgraded to Freedom.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ehchan
Called in to see if any offers since annual fee is due this month. Nothing offered, so I've PC'd to Freedom and keeping my wife's CSR.
Just out of curiosity, did they ask you why you you no longer wanted it or make any attempt (other than a retention bonus) to convince you to keep it?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:34 am

so looking through the posts, I don't see any retention offer yet for CSR. Is that correct? Mine and my wifes AF hit on Sep 1 and thinking of a strategy.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
so looking through the posts, I don't see any retention offer yet for CSR. Is that correct? Mine and my wifes AF hit on Sep 1 and thinking of a strategy.
That appears correct. Any posts on the CSR renewal thread have been negative and most have product changed. My experience with Chase has been I've never gotten a retention bonus prior to AF hitting. My best luck has been about 15 days after AF hit? I know others have had different luck but ymmv is very true with Chase.
A couple of years ago my wife and I both had gotten the CSP on same date. We both called for retention bonus and they offered her it right away but in my case the CSR was rude and nasty. 2 weeks later I called again and got the same retention as my wife? That's why HUCA is common for retention.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Unless someone spends hundreds of thousands dollars, I highly doubt your going to see any retention offers. As far as strategy is concerned, you're pretty much limited to two options. Cancel or downgrade.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
That appears correct. Any posts on the CSR renewal thread have been negative and most have product changed. My experience with Chase has been I've never gotten a retention bonus prior to AF hitting. My best luck has been about 15 days after AF hit? I know others have had different luck but ymmv is very true with Chase.
A couple of years ago my wife and I both had gotten the CSP on same date. We both called for retention bonus and they offered her it right away but in my case the CSR was rude and nasty. 2 weeks later I called again and got the same retention as my wife? That's why HUCA is common for retention.
Thanks. I am thinking if I do not get any retention I will cancel my wife's account and add her as additional card member on mine for $75
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Mrs. HighOPS PC'ed to Freedom.

They just asked, "Why?" She said she wasn't using it enough to justify the fee. They then processed it.

Interestingly the accrued URP's for this month posted immediately even though it wasn't the statement close date. That might always happen, but we had never noticed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.