Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
This plan doesn't make much sense, why not PC the Reserve to the Preferred?

If you're trying to avoid an annual fee looks like you'll have to wait a year.
why doesn't it make sense, if I get approved applying for a sapphire preferred, the question is would I have to pay the AF since it's waved the 1st year. Then I can cancel the reserve and not have to move the points .
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMH Jay
[I can't read or contribute to the Wiki above - I can't write in it as I'm a relative newbie. I don't know why I can't read it.]

AF for CSR dropped 9/1
spent just shy of $72k over the past 12 months.
Called, spoke to a pleasant rep who reminded me of all my benefits.
I asked if there were any retention offers or challenges on my account, or any possibility of AF reimbursement. He said no, but thanks for my patronage and reminded me again of the benefits.
I'm keeping it, but thought I'd call to see, figuring it wouldn't hurt.
Confused as you say "AF for CSR dropped 9/1" but then say they would not help you. Can you clarify this?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:40 pm

how do you guys know how much you have spent last year?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Confused as you say "AF for CSR dropped 9/1" but then say they would not help you. Can you clarify this?
He was charged the annual fee on 1 September. He called to ask for a retention offer; Chase did not offer a retention bonus. He's keeping the card anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:00 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by jayjayjay
how do you guys know how much you have spent last year?
Statements will tell you. Or you can call and ask.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by bernyx
why doesn't it make sense, if I get approved applying for a sapphire preferred, the question is would I have to pay the AF since it's waved the 1st year. Then I can cancel the reserve and not have to move the points .
​​​​​​
Sounds great but it's not going to happen. Chase just implemented a new rule that won't allow you to have more than one Sapphire product. If you want to get the CSP, you have two choices:

1) product change

2) cancel existing CSR and hope you get approved for the CSP.

But since you received the CSR within the last year, you still going to have to wait a year since you can only receive a bonus on ANY Sapphire product once every 24 months.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:37 pm

Wife spend over $25000 last year and was not offered any retention. They said she can downgrade to any one of these without a annual fee. Which one is the best for Ultimate rewards points?

1) Chase Sapphire Visa Signature: "Sapphire: No Annual Fee
for this product. Earn 1 point for every $1 on all
purchases and an additional 1 point for every $1 spent on
dining - when you use your card at restaurants. No caps on
the amount of points earned. Bonus/Promotional offers may
have a maximum accumulation. No expiration on points.
Product includes a 3% foreign transaction fee for any
transactions made in a currency other than U.S. Dollars,
which may include internet sites based outside of the
United States.

2Chase Freedom with Ultimate Reward Visa Signature: You
earn 5% cash back (5 points per $1 spent) on up to $1,500
in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter.
Enjoy new categories every 3 months. Quarterly activation
is required. You earn unlimited 1% cash back (1 point per
$1 spent) on all other purchases. Your Freedom card comes
with Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program
that lets you redeem rewards for travel, gift cards, cash
back and more. Product includes a 3% foreign transaction
fee for any transactions made in a currency other than
U.S. Dollars, which may include internet sites based
outside of the United States.

3) Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature: You earn
unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase with no
minimums to redeem for cash back. Your Freedom Unlimited
card comes with Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier
rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for travel,
gift cards, cash back and more. Product includes a 3%
foreign transaction fee for any transactions made in a
currency other than U.S. Dollars, which may include
internet sites based outside of the United States.

4) Chase Slate with Credit Score Visa Non-Signature: Free
Monthly FICOŽ Score and Credit Dashboard: You can log into
chase.com and access your Chase Slate Credit Dashboard.
Your dashboard is free. It will allow you to view your
monthly FICOŽ Score, reasons behind your score, a summary
of your credit report information and helpful tips to
manage your credit health. The information provided is
based on data from Experian.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Wife spend over $25000 last year and was not offered any retention. They said she can downgrade to any one of these without a annual fee. Which one is the best for Ultimate rewards points?.
DG to either the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. The other 2 are worthless. It's up to you if you prefer the 1.5x URs on everything with the FU or the 5x categories on the Freedom
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Yeah, I was confused as well.

I think the issue is with the word "dropped"....which some may interpret as the annual fee was "reduced". Instead, he used the word dropped to signify the fee "was reported/showed up on his statement"
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
DG to either the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. The other 2 are worthless. It's up to you if you prefer the 1.5x URs on everything with the FU or the 5x categories on the Freedom
but does the chase sapphire visa signature keep you ultimate rewards? I don't even see this card exists
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by bernyx
but does the chase sapphire visa signature keep you ultimate rewards? I don't even see this card exists
The regular Sapphire earns URs, yes. They discontinued it a while ago, I guess they're bringing it back now with the new rules.

I still have one that I've been meaning to change into a Freedom.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GiantCow
The regular Sapphire earns URs, yes. They discontinued it a while ago, I guess they're bringing it back now with the new rules.
The "regular" Sapphire has never gone away, it's been available as a downgrade path from the CSP, you just can't apply for it (and why would you? there's no sign up bonus).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GiantCow
The "regular" Chase Sapphire was always available as a downgrade, and is designed primarily for Sapphire "downgraders"; that is why you don't see it advertised on Chase's web site in its list of credit cards for new applicants.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Yeah, I was confused as well.

I think the issue is with the word "dropped"....which some may interpret as the annual fee was "reduced". Instead, he used the word dropped to signify the fee "was reported/showed up on his statement"
Yes, definitely very confusing. Maybe the person was trying to sound cool when they could have just said "I was charged the annual fee on 9/1" and there wouldn't have been any question.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Wife spend over $25000 last year and was not offered any retention. They said she can downgrade to any one of these without a annual fee. Which one is the best for Ultimate rewards points?

4) Chase Slate with Credit Score Visa Non-Signature: Free
Monthly FICOŽ Score and Credit Dashboard.
First, you definitely don't want Slate because it has no points. I have no idea what would happen to your existing points if you converted to a card that did not have Ultimate Rewards (and did not have another UR card). I don't really understand their selling point given that many rebate cards offer free FICO scores, but that's off-topic.

In order to answer your "Which one is the best for Ultimate rewards points?" question, you need to explain what you mean. Do you want to earn points or spend existing points? None of them offer any sort of redemption bonus like CSR does. The two Freedom cards earn different levels of rewards. You can do better than 1.5% on other cards, so I'd go for the old Freedom if you can take advantage of the 5% bonus categories (and don't use it for other stuff).

Last edited by MisterBill; Sep 4, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.