Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
If I cancel, what is the best value to transfer my UR before doing so? I have 130K Ultimate Rewards points. I have lots of BA & Marriott/SPG points I could add to.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd look at Hyatt. They have a lot of 12-15K properties and I value their points easily at 1.5 cents or more. I have a stay next week at a 5K property but those are hard to come by. You're just not going to get that value moving them to Marriott.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:02 am

I have about 165k points, I generally use miles to fly business class to SE asia, what would be the best value?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
I have about 165k points, I generally use miles to fly business class to SE asia, what would be the best value?
KE is 62,500 each way in J from LAX-ICN or 75,000 each in J from LAX-BKK.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
KE is 62,500 each way in J from LAX-ICN or 75,000 each in J from LAX-BKK.
I was thinking of xferring 75k, then the rest to virgin atlantic, anybody know J mileage on ANA using Virgin atlantic ? I know you have to get Round trip
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
This is a reason to have a Priority Pass membership, but not to have Sapphire Reserve. Priority Pass is a me too benefit, also available from American Express, Citi, and other issuers.
I guess I should have clarified. I'm happy with accruing Chase UR points (and SPG Starpoints). Given that I don't feel a need (or pull) to accrue AMEX or Citi points, the CSR is the best card for my needs based on how plan my redemptions.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
10.6k spend, no offer

Wife spent $10.7K, no offer (except credit card downgrade). Transferred credit to UA Explorer and cancelled. She got great value while it lasted. $300 travel credit received twice plus $100 Global Entry Renewal Credit plus 100k points. Was about to apply for CSP, but can't for a year now due to new rules.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes. If you applied for your CSR prior to 21 May 2017, your new travel credit will be available after your December statement posts.

Thank you. We applied on May 18. Initially declined, then dealt with Recon for a weeks or so. Got approved and starting using the card early June 2017.

Last edited by cheaptom; Sep 13, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Wife spent $10.7K, no offer (except credit card downgrade). Transferred credit to UA Explorer and cancelled. She got great value while it lasted. $300 travel credit received twice plus $100 Global Entry Renewal Credit plus 100k points. Was about to apply for CSP, but can't for a year now due to new rules.
Are you talking about $10,600? I want to make sure I am clear. Is that in a month or for the year.

The reason I ask is that you seem somewhat surprised by not getting an offer.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ehchan
I'd put my annual spend at around 60k, and I see others higher and no offers at all. They did not ask why I wanted to cancel, but I had already said my wife has one too and we don't need two accounts.
I think they actually want some people to cancel. Not sure the card has been profitable for them and I think they would be just fine if people under $100k annual spend and certainly under $72k annually dropped. Just my guess
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I think they actually want some people to cancel. Not sure the card has been profitable for them and I think they would be just fine if people under $100k annual spend and certainly under $72k annually dropped. Just my guess
You're probably right. But I think it has more to do than just your annual spend. I think it's a combination of how much spend earns 3x points and how many points you transfer from other cards like the Freedom and Freedom UL. You could have someone spend over $100,000 annually but if it's all travel and dining, Chase is losing money. And someone earning 5x points from another card and transfers it over, is essentially getting a minimum of 7.5x points in value, thus causing Chase to lose even more.

​​​​​On the other hand, if someone would be willing to fork over a $450 annual fee and just make it their one and only everyday card, I'm sure Chase would not have a problem. Regardless of how little was spent, it's unlikely someone like this would get enough value to cause Chase to lose money.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
You're probably right. But I think it has more to do than just your annual spend. I think it's a combination of how much spend earns 3x points and how many points you transfer from other cards like the Freedom and Freedom UL. You could have someone spend over $100,000 annually but if it's all travel and dining, Chase is losing money. And someone earning 5x points from another card and transfers it over, is essentially getting a minimum of 7.5x points in value, thus causing Chase to lose even more.

​​​​​On the other hand, if someone would be willing to fork over a $450 annual fee and just make it their one and only everyday card, I'm sure Chase would not have a problem. Regardless of how little was spent, it's unlikely someone like this would get enough value to cause Chase to lose money.
LOL, my spend was almost exclusively 3x on CSR, 5x on freedom, and the rest on FU
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ehchan
LOL, my spend was almost exclusively 3x on CSR, 5x on freedom, and the rest on FU
Exactly my point. And you're one of the ones that Chase would be happy to lose. I'd have to include myself also. With the exception of the first $4,000 needed for the sign up bonus, 99% of all my spend thereafter has been in 3x bonus categories. Mostly restaurants since a lot of my travel is booked using points. Since restaurants are a bonus category for the Freedom this quarter, my CSR has seen very little spend lately.

I think Chase underestimated the intelligence of most of the people who signed up for the CSR. I suspect change is coming sooner rather than later.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
. Since restaurants are a bonus category for the Freedom this quarter, my CSR has seen very little spend lately.

I think Chase underestimated the intelligence of most of the people who signed up for the CSR. I suspect change is coming sooner rather than later.
I was just looking at my statement and I only had about $300 in charges, and all 3x travel. The majority of my travel spend last month went on the Prestige and Platinum for 5x and 4 night free.

Though my CSR had an unexpected use at the gym. The clip on the bottom of my cycle shoe was coming loose and I was able to use my metal card as an improvised flat head screwdriver. so there's that added value....
khlay likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Received a $37.50 statement credit today as partial refund of my CSR annual fee. (Downgraded CSR to Chase Freedom last week.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.