Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ehchan
LOL, my spend was almost exclusively 3x on CSR, 5x on freedom, and the rest on FU
Sorry I do not have the Freedom Unlimited card what is the advantage of using that over the CSR for regular spend
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Sorry I do not have the Freedom Unlimited card what is the advantage of using that over the CSR for regular spend
Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5 points per dollar spent on regular spend. If you redeem those points by transferring to the CSR and spending in the travel center, they are equivalent to 2.25% cashback on unbonused spend.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5 points per dollar spent on regular spend. If you redeem those points by transferring to the CSR and spending in the travel center, they are equivalent to 2.25% cashback on unbonused spend.
Does the Unimilited allow you to transfer points???? I asked about transferring my points from my regular Chase freedom (I only use it for the bonus categories) to my CSR poitn balance and was told it wasn't allowed. Was this a situation where I was told wrong by the chase rep and I should HUCA?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Does the Unimilited allow you to transfer points???? I asked about transferring my points from my regular Chase freedom (I only use it for the bonus categories) to my CSR poitn balance and was told it wasn't allowed. Was this a situation where I was told wrong by the chase rep and I should HUCA?
No need to call, you've always been allowed to combine points earned on multiple cards to 1 card. You can do it online. And no, the freedom unlimited cannot transfer points to partners.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
No need to call, you've always been allowed to combine points earned on multiple cards to 1 card. You can do it online. And no, the freedom unlimited cannot transfer points to partners.
finally figured out how to do it Pretty good deal, it's like getting 7.5 percent back on restaurant purchases this month.

Hopefully Kohl's will be a q4 partner again this year and Kohl's will carry the apple watch 3. I really want one and if I can get 7.5% back plus the Kohl's rewards points that would help lessen the sting of the price tag.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I hope this is not a sign of things to come...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Have you tried transferring the points through the UR portal? I've been transferring points from my Freedom card to my CSR card without issue.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Have you tried transferring the points through the UR portal? I've been transferring points from my Freedom card to my CSR card without issue.
I was having some problems doing it online and called chase last month and was told you couldn't transfer from the Freedom to another card. I figured out how to do it finally this morning.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by ehchan
LOL, my spend was almost exclusively 3x on CSR, 5x on freedom, and the rest on FU
Don't we all?

Actually not quite -- wife's Amex EDP is pretty nice for groceries and gas.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Exactly my point. And you're one of the ones that Chase would be happy to lose. I'd have to include myself also. With the exception of the first $4,000 needed for the sign up bonus, 99% of all my spend thereafter has been in 3x bonus categories. Mostly restaurants since a lot of my travel is booked using points. Since restaurants are a bonus category for the Freedom this quarter, my CSR has seen very little spend lately.

I think Chase underestimated the intelligence of most of the people who signed up for the CSR. I suspect change is coming sooner rather than later.
The only times my CSR hasn't been used for a 3% category has been a few times I've gone to places that I thought would be coded as a restaurant and ended up being coded as something else.

I don't think most credit card users are nearly as savy as the typical flyertalk credit card user though.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I don't think most credit card users are nearly as savy as the typical flyertalk credit card user though.
This. We here do not represent the general population. Just think of how many people fall into the various buckets of consumer: cash only, poor credit, no credit, the uninterested, the unpatient, those wealthy enough to not be concerned about it, those that were misled by someone who claimed to understand how miles/points work, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by moe8555
This. We here do not represent the general population. Just think of how many people fall into the various buckets of consumer: cash only, poor credit, no credit, the uninterested, the unpatient, those wealthy enough to not be concerned about it, those that were misled by someone who claimed to understand how miles/points work, etc.
Most of the people you just described probably would not be willing to pay a $450 annual fee or would not get approved in the first place. And wealthy people did not get wealthy by making dumb mistakes.

Just​​​Just think about it. When the CSR was first released it was so popular Chase approved more applicants in the first two weeks than it expected to approve in the first year. All this with absolutely no advertising. This means the majority of people who received this card heard about it from travel blogs. People who read travel blogs are a little more knowledgeable than the general population.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
As a CPA something that amazes me is the credit card behavior of people who carry balances. If I were forced to carry a balance I would be going with the lowest fee card and paying it off ASAP.

If you are going to carry a balance you are a lot better off with a no-rewards card with a low interest rate or a card that has interesting free financing for x months than a high interest card with rewards. The additional interest is costing them a lot more than what the miles/rewards are worth.

The thing that really amazes me is when I read stories of how the number one thing tax refunds are being used for is to pay down credit card debt. These people should be decreasing their tax withholding and using the money to pay down their credit card debt during the year instead of giving the IRS an interest free loan while paying double digit interest rates to the credit card companies.
Happy and CMH Jay like this.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:48 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
As a CPA something that amazes me is the credit card behavior of people who carry balances. If I were forced to carry a balance I would be going with the lowest fee card and paying it off ASAP.

If you are going to carry a balance you are a lot better off with a no-rewards card with a low interest rate or a card that has interesting free financing for x months than a high interest card with rewards. The additional interest is costing them a lot more than what the miles/rewards are worth.

The thing that really amazes me is when I read stories of how the number one thing tax returns are being used for is to pay down credit card debt. These people should be decreasing their tax withholding and using the money to pay down their credit card debt during the year instead of giving the IRS an interest free loan while paying double digit interest rates to the credit card companies.

Well,most people are not rational. Also, some may get fee-based cards and then later get into debt on them--which is what the bank wants, right? After all, That is why the limit Chase gives me on each of my fee cards so much higher than on the no-fee cards that have 0% intro balance transfer or purchase rates! Debt denial is a real thing for many people. Deny the debt or have some lofty goal that you will magically pay it off--so you don't have to product change your rewards card to one with no fee and low balance transfer rates! Burying your head in the sand is a common response.

Also, purposely not withholding enough from taxes can cause the IRS to assess a penalty if the amount not withheld is too great! As a CPA, you should know that.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:48 pm

I'm a bit surprised to see how many folks here are downgrading or cancelling now instead of waiting until your December statement cuts and capturing some of next year's travel credit. This excellent article that pallhedge posted runs down the math.

Bottom line:
With a little planning, you can get your entire $300 2018 credit before you downgrade your card at the end of December, 2017. For waiting, and ultimately paying only a portion of your annual fee, you get the FULL 2018 travel credit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.