Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by RNE
How do you figure it makes sense for both you and your wife to have this card? Simply make her an AU on your card and she'll get all the benefits she gets now, but it will cost you $75 instead of $150.
It ruins birthdays and Christmas and the like.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
It appears you didn't read my article. You make money by waiting until December to downgrade. Pay $450 now and get ~$600 back between travel credit and pro-rated annual fee refund.
Shouldn't there be a caveat here though? There is nothing that obligates Chase to continue to have a policy to pro-rate fee returns for product changes. It could change that tomorrow -- or, at least I assume Chase could change it reasonably easy (I'm not a banking regulations expert). For that matter, it could change the 60-day rule for product changes. Or, it could simply decide to no longer allow any product changes at all for the CSR, and just allow cancellations, which would leave everyone who had held the card for more than 30 days hoping to use this method out in the cold.

In the end, for anyone who has $300 in expected travel expenses between mid-December and the next annual fee, the risk here is relatively modest -- it's capped at $150.

But it does seem worth mentioning the risk here -- you have to hope that current policies both with respect to product changes and with respect to pro-rated refunds for product changes survives until after the annual fee credit posts in December.

A less significant risk -- is that Chase will start to enforce the 1-2 month time provide the statement credit on travel expenses. It certainly wouldn't be unprecedented for them to do so in the industry. Amex recently greatly extended the time for points reimbursement on their too-good-to-be-sustained 2 cent per point Amex Business Plat redemptions. Again, this is not a huge issue, but at $37.50 each month one has to wait for the travel credit to post, it is not insignificant.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by RNE
How do you figure it makes sense for both you and your wife to have this card? Simply make her an AU on your card and she'll get all the benefits she gets now, but it will cost you $75 instead of $150.
For $75, it's hardly worth the effort. Every 5 years we will use this card to renew GE for one of the utes - so now it's a $55 card vs. AU. So far, PP has not been a benefit to her, but she does have some international trips on the horizon so that might change.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by txpenny
For $75, it's hardly worth the effort. Every 5 years we will use this card to renew GE for one of the utes - so now it's a $55 card vs. AU. So far, PP has not been a benefit to her, but she does have some international trips on the horizon so that might change.
That's pretty much how my Wife and I figure it too. We have used PP ~ 10 times since we had the CSR.
Chase will also have weeded out all the churners with no bonus offers this year.
I also think that like her Bold card, next year there may be a retention bonus. She get's one every other year on her Ink Bold even though she only had ~$2500 spend last year.
txpenny likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Chase will also have weeded out all the churners with no bonus offers this year.
Easy decision for churners to dump card and re-apply in ~12+ months for the bonus.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:10 am

Hi Everyone,
I just got charged annual fees on sep 1st.
Any chance i can take advantage of next years travel credit before i downgrade to chase freedom?
When would be the best time to downgrade, so that i can take advantage as well as save on the annual fees?
Thank you
Borg drone
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by borgdrone
... take advantage of next years travel credit
Assuming you already used the 2017 credit, you will be eligible for the next credit after your December 2017 statement is generated.

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...el-credit.html
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernyx
I have about 165k points, I generally use miles to fly business class to SE asia, what would be the best value?
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
If I cancel, what is the best value to transfer my UR before doing so? I have 130K Ultimate Rewards points. I have lots of BA & Marriott/SPG points I could add to.
Originally Posted by tom911
I'd look at Hyatt. They have a lot of 12-15K properties and I value their points easily at 1.5 cents or more. I have a stay next week at a 5K property but those are hard to come by. You're just not going to get that value moving them to Marriott.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
KE is 62,500 each way in J from LAX-ICN or 75,000 each in J from LAX-BKK.
Originally Posted by bernyx
I was thinking of xferring 75k, then the rest to virgin atlantic, anybody know J mileage on ANA using Virgin atlantic ? I know you have to get Round trip
If you are not in an immediate need to book your travel, why not just park the UR pts in one of the now fee cards such as Freedom, Freedom Unlimited or Ink Cash? Then later get a fee-based UR card (can be done via upgrading?) to regain the transferrability.

I agree on the Hyatt proposal. Do check the Hyatt charts to see if the locations would work for you because its footprint is not large. The value is biggest at 8K especially airport / downtown properties, then 15K would be where the value proposition starts to decline.

For KE, isn't it charging YQ? Also KE is very restrictive on redeeming for passengers other than yourself. Basically you need to send in documents to prove the relationship defined in its "family tree" in order to be allowed to redeem for the family members. GF or BF is definitely out of luck here IIRC.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDN
Also, purposely not withholding enough from taxes can cause the IRS to assess a penalty if the amount not withheld is too great! As a CPA, you should know that.
What jamesteroh means probably is for people to calculate how much withholding is needed based on their filing situation, and just have enough witholding on their paychecks instead of overwithholdings to cause a refund big enough to meaningfully pay down your debts. He does not advocate underwitholding, as a former CPA I fully see where he is coming from.

It also never ceases to amaze me how people are so joyful to get a tax refund check which is their OWN MONEY that are loaned to the government interest free... Some people KNOW that but they view it as a mechanism to FORCE them to save, else they would spend that money carelessly. I can see that part of human nature too, as long as they would not spend more than they have to incur debts and use the refund to pay it down, but with the refund as a forced saving.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:50 pm

Called Chase regarding CSR annual fee.
She went through the benefits and quoted this article
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/fir...phire-reserve/

Of course no offer for me
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:47 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by txpenny
Yeah, a phone call to save $75 is an onerous burden. You're right.

RNE, noting in passing that an AU gets his/her own PP card.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
If you are not in an immediate need to book your travel, why not just park the UR pts in one of the now fee cards such as Freedom, Freedom Unlimited or Ink Cash? Then later get a fee-based UR card (can be done via upgrading?) to regain the transferrability.
1) Once you cancel the Sapphire card, isn't there a waiting period before you can apply for another Sapphire?

2) Will Chase in future prevent the transfer of points from a Freedom card back to a Sapphire Reserve card (in which case you would lose the bonus 50%?)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
2) Will Chase in future prevent the transfer of points from a Freedom card back to a Sapphire Reserve card (in which case you would lose the bonus 50%?)
This is why I am transferring my points from Freedom and FU cards to the CSR every month now. I used to do it only when I wanted to use the points.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
1) Once you cancel the Sapphire card, isn't there a waiting period before you can apply for another Sapphire?

1)

I thought downgrading is not forbidden? Only applying a new Sapphire card is?

2) is always possible but that is assume the 1.5 travel redemption value is always there, AND you can use it effectively. And you would keep the CSR. If you do not keep the CSR, then this is a moot point even in theory.

It is YMMV but we have found the 1.5 travel redemption is only good in theory but a very hit and miss / frustrating / failure experiences in the few occasions I tried to take advantage of it. So to us, the UR pts literally only worth 0.01 guaranteed value as we always see it this way.

You can read my horror story posted in the Sticky on redeeming an accommodation as well as the latest one posted by someone suffered similar fate at Bahamas on last minute booking. (mine is not last minute but the experiences from years of travel tell me something is very fishy in that UR booking.)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by RNE
Yeah, a phone call to save $75 is an onerous burden. You're right.

RNE, noting in passing that an AU gets his/her own PP card.
For me, it's not that important. Clearly for others it makes sense to downgrade and go the AU route.

Give it a rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.