Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. Do you have a banking relationship with Chase? Do you care to say approximately how much you spent with the Reserve, and if you also hold other Chase cards?
I'm not a Private Client member. I have been with Chase maybe for the past 7 years. I have both Checking and Savings Accounts with them + Chase Freedom + Amazon Rewards + CSP (last year, before CSR).

I didn't spend crazily with CSR because I own about 15 different cards and depending on the purchase, I use the Card with the highest cash back/miles rate. So I don't charge everything on my CSR.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I remain skeptical and suspect the Chase rep believed you were closing the card. I think Chase first charged and then refunded the second year's annual fee and your card will be closed, though I hope that isn't the case.
Anything can happen definitely, but that's why I sent Chase a follow-up message thanking them for the Annual Fee Credit and that I'd keep my CSR Card. And they responded saying thank you for expressing the gratitude and they're glad that I am keeping my card. If they're closing it, they would've mentioned it?

And I don't see any 2nd year AF charged to my Account yet. They told me the 2nd year AF would be charged on Nov. 1. So come Nov. 1, I'd definitely be charged the $450 AF. But the $450 Credit to offset this 2nd year AF has been issued and was posted yesterday/2 days ago.

I've also asked them to transfer the $450 Credit to my other Chase Cards like Freedom (Balance Transfer between Chase Cards) and they did it for me. If that Credit was a mistake, they would've pointed it out to me I guess. Because I was planning to close my CSR, I had paid off the balance and so when the AF Credit got posted yesterday/2 days ago, I had a Credit Balance. And I asked Chase to transfer the Credit Balance to other Chase Cards I have, in a way, to test if this Credit was legit, and they did it for me.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by febzz
I'm not a Private Client member. I have been with Chase maybe for the past 7 years. I have both Checking and Savings Accounts with them + Chase Freedom + Amazon Rewards + CSP (last year, before CSR).

And I don't see any 2nd year AF charged to my Account yet. They told me the 2nd year AF would be charged on Nov. 1. So come Nov. 1, I'd definitely be charged the $450 AF. But the $450 Credit to offset this 2nd year AF has been issued and was posted yesterday/2 days ago
Can you tell us what time of day you called, which phone number, and whether you spoke with a U.S. or foreign rep?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by febzz

So I guess, Chase thought that I genuinely wanted to close the Card and didn't even ask for a Retention Offer; so in an attempt to keep me, they then issued a $450 Credit. I believe the Credit was issued on Sept. 29, right after I called them. It then posted on Oct. 2-3, because the Credit Transaction Post Date is listed as Sept. 29.
Something similar happened to my wife. Her AF hit Sept 1. We called around the 12th to cancel. Rep was polite, said no retention offers period, offered to downgrade (refused), made sure we had already moved all the UR points out (which we already did), and told us $450 would be refunded in a day or two.

On 9/13, she received $450 "Annual Fee Refund" credit. And then, to our total surprise and shock, on 9/14 she received another $450 credit labeled "Membership Fee Credit" (same as febzz). No explanation and now her account has a $450 credit in it. We've been sitting here silently wondering if Chase would send us a totally undeserved $450 refund check or what.

My wife has a good relationship with Chase. Although she doesn't have enough $$$'s in Chase to technically be CPC, her banker does treat her nice and sometimes does favors in hopes she will put more business his way. However, we never told him about any of this, but maybe chase sent him a heads-up as he was the one who helped by wife apply for the card a year ago.

Now I'm wondering whether we should send a SM thanking them for the fee credit and telling them to keep it open so we can get another $300 travel credit at the end of the year.

Frankly, I don't even know whether the account is open or closed or how to tell short of trying to use the card and seeing if it works. We're in Europe now spending all of our bonus points and the card is back in California so we can't even try until we return at the end of the month.

Last edited by RobUAIntl; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:37 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Something similar happened to my wife. Her AF hit Sept 1. We called around the 12th to cancel. Rep was polite, said no retention offers period, offered to downgrade (refused), made sure we had already moved all the UR points out (which we already did), and told us $450 would be refunded in a day or two.

On 9/13, she received $450 "Annual Fee Refund" credit. And then, to our total surprise and shock, on 9/14 she received another $450 credit labeled "Membership Fee Credit" (same as febzz). No explanation and now her account has a $450 credit in it. We've been sitting here silently wondering if Chase would send us a totally undeserved $450 refund check or what.

My wife has a good relationship with Chase. Although she doesn't have enough $$$'s in Chase to technically be CPC, her banker does treat her nice and sometimes does favors in hopes she will put more business his way. However, we never told him about any of this, but maybe chase sent him a heads-up as he was the one who helped by wife apply for the card a year ago.

Now I'm wondering whether we should send a SM thanking them for the fee credit and telling them to keep it open so we can get another $300 travel credit at the end of the year.

Frankly, I don't even know whether the account is open or closed or how to tell short of trying to use the card and seeing if it works. We're in Europe now spending all of our bonus points and the card is back in California so we can't even try until we return at the end of the month.

happens all the time with the double AF refund... and they always fix it in a few days so dont celebrate too early..
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
Can you tell us what time of day you called, which phone number, and whether you spoke with a U.S. or foreign rep?
I called around 2pm Central Time and talked with a US Rep definitely. So far, my conversations with CSR have always been with US Reps.

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl

Keep us posted. I've tried a couple things on my end to sort of try to find out if this credit is a real deal or not without asking Chase directly about it (I literally was beating around the bush with them) and so far, the results have all led me to believe that what I got is real.

I called Chase again last night to ask about the Status of my Credit Balance Check (for my CSR account) and he said it's been issued and should arrive in a few days. I also asked him when I'd get the $300 Travel Credit again and he said early 2018 (after my Dec'17 Billing Cycle).

He didn't say anything at all about the Credit being a mistake. I've reached out to Chase 4x now in the past 2 days and none of them brought up the fact that the Credit's a mistake.
​​​​​​
Fingers-crossed.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:56 am
RNE

While I hope the fee waivers "stick" and all goes well for the cardholders, I'm worried that Chase may have a change of heart. Sending an SM may tip off a supervisor or someone else empowered to claw back the waiver. Just saying.

Personally, when it comes time for me to challenge the AF, my highest hope is only for a $150 waiver; given the $300 annual credit, that would essentially bring the AF down to zero, by my reckoning. A 100% waiver is outrageously fortuitous. Bravo to those getting it.

Back to my own situation, I'm on day five after my annual fee should* have posted and it hasn't. I'm not complaining, of course. Dare I hope it never appears?

*Question to those whose AFs have posted: Are the month-day posting dates for 2016's AF the same as 2017's? For example, annual fees on 9/1/2016 and 9/1/2017?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
AF posted on Oct 1, Oct statement will be on the 8th.

No offer (CPC here).
Mine was supposed to be charged on Oct 1st as well and my statement closes on the 8th. Still no AF charge though, what's going on I wonder?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by RNE
While I hope the fee waivers "stick" and all goes well for the cardholders, I'm worried that Chase may have a change of heart. Sending an SM may tip off a supervisor or someone else empowered to claw back the waiver. Just saying.

Personally, when it comes time for me to challenge the AF, my highest hope is only for a $150 waiver; given the $300 annual credit, that would essentially bring the AF down to zero, by my reckoning. A 100% waiver is outrageously fortuitous. Bravo to those getting it.

Back to my own situation, I'm on day five after my annual fee should* have posted and it hasn't. I'm not complaining, of course. Dare I hope it never appears?

*Question to those whose AFs have posted: Are the month-day posting dates for 2016's AF the same as 2017's? For example, annual fees on 9/1/2016 and 9/1/2017?
Mine was supposed to post on 10/1 as well and hasn't yet.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by compddd
...Still no AF charge though, what's going on I wonder?
The C.A.R.D. Act requires the issuer to notify the cardholder 30 days before renewal that a fee will be billed, and that it can be avoided by closing the account.

the statute requires card issuers to
provide the renewal notice described in
§ 226.9(e)(1) prior to imposition of any
annual or other periodic fee to renew a
credit or charge card account of the type
subject to § 226.5a, including any fee
based on account activity or inactivity.
Card issuers may no longer assess the
fee and provide a delayed notice
offering the consumer the opportunity
to terminate the account and have the
fee reversed.
Most issuers do this by including a sentence on the prior statement. If there is no notice on your August/September PDF statement I wouldn't expect to see the fee billed in October.

In one year Diners Club (USA) failed to generate these notices, and their solution was to refund everyone's annual fee. However, I have a vague recollection that Citi neglected to generate notices for a specific card, and they devised a different solution.

Last edited by mia; Oct 5, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:52 am

On my August statement it said my AF would be billed on 10/1, that's why I'm wondering why it hasn't posted yet.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
On my August statement it said my AF would be billed on 10/1,...
Thanks, that was my best hypothesis. My backup idea is that perhaps they have changed from billing all fees on the 1st to billing them on the closing date, to avoid confusion about the refund window, but that's pure speculation.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:02 am

My wife had the same wording on her statement and her AF was charged on 10/1, something appears to be up with my account.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:08 am

On my August statement it said my AF would be billed on 10/1..
My Aug 8th statement said AF would be posted on 10/1 and it did.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:12 am

Some people on Reddit chimed in and said their AF was a month late, ie supposed to post on 9/1 per their statement but didn't post until 10/1

So I am guessing me and RNE won't see the AF billed until 11/1
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
My Aug 8th statement said AF would be posted on 10/1 and it did.
Same for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.