Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, perhaps I'm slow on the uptake, but it is not obvious to me.

I've seen posts that say that it covers and some that it doesn't. That's why I'm asking.
Why not just contact Chase Insurance Services and inquire of them?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm doing that right now. Since "entire" rental cost can be interpreted differently.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:46 am

OK... I got a very specific answer. And I was right... using Hertz points does not constitute the "entire" rental.

To recap:
Using UR points to pay for the rental and only charging taxes/fees to the card counts for coverage.
Using Hertz, or any other rental company points, does NOT count as paying for the entire rental.

ETA: The rep initially gave me the wrong answer by saying that I would be covered if I paid the taxes and fees with the card. When I asked her to look again, she put me on hold, and I guess, checked with someone else, before giving me that answer.

So yes, it really isn't that clear in the T&C, because that's what she initially read from.

Last edited by Mary2e; Mar 25, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mary2e
So yes, it really isn't that clear in the T&C, because that's what she initially read from.
Allow me to be blunt. To recap:

Originally Posted by garykung
No. The word "entire" is pretty obvious.
It is explicitly clear that using Hertz reward WILL NOT be covered.

However - I agree that the situation is not so clear when the rental is done through UR portal (using UR to book the rental car).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sorry I'm late

FYI,

The license plate frame is technically not part of the vehicle.

Hertz should not charge to screw on a new license plate frame.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Allow me to be blunt. To recap:

It is explicitly clear that using Hertz reward WILL NOT be covered.

However - I agree that the situation is not so clear when the rental is done through UR portal (using UR to book the rental car).
Thank you... but you see, I missed that original response. I pulled up FT on my phone and it was over the last response. So I apologize and thank you for the response.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Chase Auto Rental CDW Question for OMNI

I'm posting here because well there's more people and variety.

I have a Ritz Carlton Chase card. My car is in the body shop for a quick repair. They gave me an Enterprise car for free but Enterprise required that I give them a card for a deposit; I used my Ritz Carlton Chase Visa.

My friend backed into it just now. I estimate about $2500 damage (from a prior long ago life as a property damage appraiser for Progressive), give or take $1K.

The T&C on the card overview site for the CDW state "charge the entire rental cost to your card." The body shop is paying for the rental so I would guess that they would argue the entire cost wasn't charged to my card, although I would argue MY entire cost was charged to the card. I think I would lose but I would try.

However, the detailed T&C state "1) Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit." Well, I did initiate the rental with the card and am completing it with that, at least for my portion.

Do I have any chance that they will cover it?

Should I try to talk Enterprise to change the billing of the rental (it will be < $75) to me and not charge the body shop? It would bolster my argument.

My friend has insurance but Enterprise says they will go through mine and mine has to subrogate against his. That means I am out my $1K deductible until his insurance pays, or he is out it if he covers it while it goes through insurance. We are not going to let this affect our friendship.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bergamini
I'm posting here because well there's more people and variety.

I have a Ritz Carlton Chase card. My car is in the body shop for a quick repair. They gave me an Enterprise car for free but Enterprise required that I give them a card for a deposit; I used my Ritz Carlton Chase Visa.

My friend backed into it just now. I estimate about $2500 damage (from a prior long ago life as a property damage appraiser for Progressive), give or take $1K.

The T&C on the card overview site for the CDW state "charge the entire rental cost to your card." The body shop is paying for the rental so I would guess that they would argue the entire cost wasn't charged to my card, although I would argue MY entire cost was charged to the card. I think I would lose but I would try.

However, the detailed T&C state "1) Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit." Well, I did initiate the rental with the card and am completing it with that, at least for my portion.

Do I have any chance that they will cover it?

Should I try to talk Enterprise to change the billing of the rental (it will be < $75) to me and not charge the body shop? It would bolster my argument.

My friend has insurance but Enterprise says they will go through mine and mine has to subrogate against his. That means I am out my $1K deductible until his insurance pays, or he is out it if he covers it while it goes through insurance. We are not going to let this affect our friendship.
I don't know the answer to your question (although I'm guessing that Chase will not cover you on a rental that is completely free to you), but will it really be a hardship to wait a month or so to get your deductible reimbursed by your friend's insurance company? In fact, regardless of what Enterprise is telling you, his insurance company might be willing to cut Enterprise a check in just a matter of days.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I had a similar situation a few years ago. My car was in for repairs and the insurance co. Gave me an Enterprise rental. Enterprise wanted a CC and I gave them Chase. Long story short, I backed into a snowbank, cracking the amazingly cheap bumper. I did the same, called Chase and they refused, as the whole rental wasn't on the card. Wound up paying $500 out of pocket.

DD
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Using CSR insurance when renting a car in Mexico?

CSR benefits administrators will provide documentation suggesting that their primary coverage includes the liability insurance required in Mexico, but some suggest it will not suffice. I have had success using the document provided by CSR to convince a rental car company it is adequate, but that is of little use if the local police do not agree, put you in jail after an accident - even if you are not at fault.

Does anyone have any first hand experience, more intimate knowledge?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:52 pm

The CSR does not provide liability insurance. You need to purchase liability separately, usually offered or included with the rental vehicle or your personal insurance policy. It only provides primary CDW insurance that only covers your car that you are driving, and is the only form of insurance you should decline. See here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel

Last edited by RBM3; Apr 25, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by diver858
CSR benefits administrators will provide documentation suggesting that their primary coverage includes the liability insurance required in Mexico, but some suggest it will not suffice. I have had success using the document provided by CSR to convince a rental car company it is adequate, but that is of little use if the local police do not agree, put you in jail after an accident - even if you are not at fault.

I've never seen a credit card that provides liability coverage. I'd buy separate liability coverage at the rental counter in MX.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by diver858

Highly recommend these threads, which I have found very helpful in the past as far as renting cars and auto insurance generally, in Mexico.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...ce-primer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...-thread-7.html
Old May 2, 2017, 4:54 am

Chase Sapphire Preferred no longer has *primary* CDW? Ineligible for CSR...

Being over 5/24 and having no Chase branches in my state, I wasn't eligible for the Reserve. However, I've kept the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) all these years as my Go To Card due in part to it offering *Primary* Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) for car rentals. Now, I believe I'm seeing verbiage to the effect that only the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has *primary* CDW.

Does the CSP no longer have *primary* CDW? If so, given I'm ineligible for the CSR, what points cards from non-Chase banks offer *primary* CDW?

While I've enjoyed the flexibility of being able to transfer UR points so quickly to high redemption value loyalty programs like Hyatt, topping off other accounts, etc, I'm not sure I want to continue to pay the AF on the CSP.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
From the Chase website, re: Chase Sapphire Preferred" benefits"

"Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.
"

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...1UH0&CELL=6334

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.