Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Spouse got Chase Ink Bold in June w/ 50k bonus. I'm thinking of suggesting that, since the Bold is being phased out, that he call in to see about canceling the Bold (or effectively moving the credit limit over to Plus) and applying for Plus w/ the 70k bonus. He used it heavily in early months to get bonus, but it's seen very little activity since then.

Has anyone tried this? I realize it would technically be a new app, but I'm wondering if they are more or less inclined to approve Plus if the old Bold is essentially for same business.
Yes, I have both for same SSN/business. Just say you want ability to revolve balances and separate spending. They may push back about why you need so much credit and you will have to have a good answer, but that is not related to have two cards it is related to having too much credit relative to your use.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I'm wanting to apply for the SW biz and personal cards at the same time. I know I have CL available on the personal side as I canceled 2 cards about 6 months ago. My biz CL is 18K so probably some room there... some questions:

Anything I should know about getting approved for a 2nd biz card from Chase if I have a 0 revenue sole proprietorship? Got the Ink+ in late May. Not instant approval but did not have to call in to reconsideration either, I just waited them out (app date 5/7, approval date 5/21). Been using the Ink steadily for both bonus and non bonus charges and I don't MS.

Will 2 apps count as 1 hard pull or 2 if done same day? Is it necessary to use the 2BM? Any particular order I should apply in? Or, if no advantage to applying at the same time, is it better to wait to ensure I am approved for the biz then apply for the personal? I want both or none as I don't want to waste the personal card bonus during a year when I won't be able to get the companion pass (which I can't do unless I also get the biz card bonus).

Any insights are appreciated, thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I'm wanting to apply for the SW biz and personal cards at the same time. I know I have CL available on the personal side as I canceled 2 cards about 6 months ago. My biz CL is 18K so probably some room there... some questions:

Anything I should know about getting approved for a 2nd biz card from Chase if I have a 0 revenue sole proprietorship? Got the Ink+ in late May. Not instant approval but did not have to call in to reconsideration either, I just waited them out (app date 5/7, approval date 5/21). Been using the Ink steadily for both bonus and non bonus charges and I don't MS.

Will 2 apps count as 1 hard pull or 2 if done same day? Is it necessary to use the 2BM? Any particular order I should apply in? Or, if no advantage to applying at the same time, is it better to wait to ensure I am approved for the biz then apply for the personal? I want both or none as I don't want to waste the personal card bonus during a year when I won't be able to get the companion pass (which I can't do unless I also get the biz card bonus).

Any insights are appreciated, thanks!
I have not applied for 2 cards in the same day but as for having 2 business cards, just give them a good reason to have the cards.. split spending, better bonuses on categories you need on new card, want more credit for better flexibility, or you want to be able to expand business, etc. I have 3 Chase biz cards for a business that brings in 2k a year, so the revenue doesn't matter that much. If it was me I would apply for the business one first, since that approval is more difficult, then apply a couple days later for the other Chase card. Either way, they will see that they previously extended you credit.. not like applying in 2 weeks is going to make a difference. They have said to me - we have extended you a lot of credit in the past year, you need to reallocate CL - or something along those lines.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Any particular order I should apply in?.....I want both or none as I don't want to waste the personal card bonus during a year when I won't be able to get the companion pass (which I can't do unless I also get the biz card bonus).
You answered your own question. If you don't want the personal if you can't get the business, obviously apply for the business first, and then only apply for the personal after you get approved for the business.

And unless you have a ton of flying with a companion coming up soon, best to not finish the spending on either card until after the first of the year. That way the CP will be good for both 2015 and 2016. If you finish the spending this year, you will only get the CP for 2015.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:36 pm

Any Data Points for Canceling and Reapplying?

I've been reading this thread for forever, but I don't recall any data points on the new Chase policy. Possibly just because it's too early to have any. But does anyone have any data points on how long, if at all, to wait after canceling a Chase card before reapplying for the same card? My CSP bonus 2 year Anniversary is coming up, and I'd really like to get a new one instead of paying the fee without a bonus. But I do use my CSP a lot, and don't want to be without one longer than necessary. TIA
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
has anyone been banned for too much credit. I have amid 700 score. Opened a dozen new cards in last 6 months. 3 with chase!

I plan to tone it down. I am scared though. Should I call chase and ask to lower my credit limits? They account for nearly 40% of my aggregate credit limit.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:26 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pstravels
has anyone been banned for too much credit. I have amid 700 score. Opened a dozen new cards in last 6 months. 3 with chase!

I plan to tone it down. I am scared though. Should I call chase and ask to lower my credit limits? They account for nearly 40% of my aggregate credit limit.
Don't call any bank! Keep your head down, curb your applying and maintain a modicum of normal spending on all your new cards.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 am

Does having a Sapphire Preferred prevent you from getting a signup bonus on the standard Sapphire card?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Don't call any bank! Keep your head down, curb your applying and maintain a modicum of normal spending on all your new cards.
Agreed. Cool the apps and garden your cards. Don't worry about the limits. What would get you into trouble is excessive MS bonus categories (like maxing Ink) or messing with checking signup bonuses.

Spend on the cards, but not excessively, and don't go through the CL several times per month and you will be well on your way to a good long term relationship.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by pstravels

My advice is somewhat different. If you have a large CL with Chase over several ccs, I'd say SM Chase and ask for any large CLs to be reduced.

I had a rough Recon call with Chase, where the CSR finally said he had to get additional approval from a supervisor since I had "such a high CL" with Chase already. I got the message and SMed Chase to reduce some of my very high CLs. After I did that I started getting instant approvals again.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
does anyone have any data points on how long, if at all, to wait after canceling a Chase card before reapplying for the same card?
Bueller?... Anyone?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by Brugge
Bueller?... Anyone?
Well, there are a lot of questions out there as the new language on many of the Chase apps seems to indicate 24 months from the last bonus received but doesn't mention how long the card would need to have been closed. My understanding is that it was previously understood to be 18-24 months after cancellation... I have not seen any recent posts about anyone getting a 2nd bonus from Chase under the new "policy". It may be too soon to find any data points.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:31 pm

Well, there are a lot of questions out there as the new language on many of the Chase apps seems to indicate 24 months from the last bonus received but doesn't mention how long the card would need to have been closed. My understanding is that it was previously understood to be 18-24 months after cancellation... I have not seen any recent posts about anyone getting a 2nd bonus from Chase under the new "policy". It may be too soon to find any data points.
Data point here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23656426-post3315.html

Ignore the references to the business card, that was in response to those people who listen to clueless CSRs.

I got the bonus again after more than 24 months after receiving the previous one and I closed the old card just a few months before applying for the new card. HTH
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

Closed the mileage plus when annual fee came due. First year I had gotten a statement credit this year nothing. I can't remember exactly but I opened the new one less than 6 months later and received the bonus.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 pm

I have not seen any recent posts about anyone getting a 2nd bonus from Chase under the new "policy". It may be too soon to find any data points.
("Darn") I was afraid of that. I have a bunch of Chase cards approaching the 2 year point since the bonus posted. Some like the Marriott are not worth spending on, and now that my go to category 4 locations have become cat 6, the free night certificate is nearly useless too. So I don't want to pay the AF, but getting 70K points and no fee the first year would be nice.

Last edited by Brugge; Oct 20, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.