Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
You are being sarcastic, right? What would "all your other favorite seats" be?
I know people who love the intimacy of seats 25A/C on the A319.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andset1191
My suspicion is that they have introduced a higher price for people paying for seats for the exit row, but they will remain free for silvers and golds on non-HBO fares.
Not the case unfortunately. Just looked at a booking to Edinburgh non-HBO and Row 1 is available but all exit rows on the A321 greyed out.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:01 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Same here. All exit rows are greyed out on all my European and domestic bookings. Luckily I got the seats before the "change". Would be nice to get some answers from BA though if this is an official change to policy.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I also just did a dummy non-HBO booking to Edinburgh and had all exit rows greyed out. The official policy (which I'm pasting here, before they alter it) doesn't make any reference to short-haul seats, which you'd assume means free for Gold / Silvers.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...sing-your-seat
Membership of the Executive Club, and equivalent oneworld partner frequent flyer programmes, includes seat selection at certain tiers:
  • Gold Members (oneworld Emerald) – free seat selection from the time of booking for everyone in your travel party (except on hand baggage only fares).
  • Silver Members (oneworld Sapphire) – free seat selection from the time of booking for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only fares and not including exit row or bulkhead seats on longhaul flights).
  • Bronze Members (oneworld Ruby) – free seat selection from seven days before departure for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only fares and not including exit row or bulkhead seats on longhaul flights).
  • Blue Members – free seat selection from 24 hours before departure when check-in opens (except on hand baggage only fares).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
If this is an unannounced policy change, I just wonder if it is a result of some analysis which shows that since the reduction in seat pitch throughout the short haul fleet, golds and silvers are opting to buy economy and select the exit row seats than buy club and sit in 31 inches of pitch for the sake of a salad!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That's not and answer to my question though?

I seem to recall on my one and only HBO that buying an exit row seat was more expensive than a non-exit row one
As a silver I've only ever paid a flat price on each flight to select HBO seats, though the prices offered have varied between £7 and £21. Generally I haven't bothered unless an exit row was available, but 12C on an A320 has always been the same price as 25B.

They could have been running a small scale trial I suppose.

Oh and I did pay extra on a VY codeshare once, and on EasyJet they actually moved people into the exit rows because they'd have been empty otherwise.

Last edited by Cymro; Feb 7, 2016 at 3:28 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pjh981
If this is an unannounced policy change, I just wonder if it is a result of some analysis which shows that since the reduction in seat pitch throughout the short haul fleet, golds and silvers are opting to buy economy and select the exit row seats than buy club and sit in 31 inches of pitch for the sake of a salad!
Even if it is, it's pretty hardcore revenue management to set it up so that we are banned from selecting them at all rather than either paying a premium or making them available to golds only until two weeks out, then charging a premium to everyone else like long haul (which would be a genuine enhancement to golds, though at the expense of silvers).

The CE cabin seems to have got bigger as well - at least until close to departure.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
No Alcohol consumption in exit rows

Wonder if that is coming??

Paid a premium for exit row/extra leg room in Asia over Christmas.Asked for a beer - paid for, not comp either - and refused. No alcohol in exit rows.

Offered to move whilst consuming in to the rows of empty seats forward and drink there. Firmly told that after drinking no return to my premium seat permissible.

This on an airline deigned not safe enough to fly in to The USA.

I can see the logic - but it might "disrupt" the premium pricing strategy of BA. LOL

On Topic.... might explain this thread. It will take BA ICT many aeons to incorporate that in to on-line booking engines!

Last edited by Modo; Feb 7, 2016 at 3:54 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
No Alcohol consumption in exit rows

Deleted

Dupe - dodgy internet
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pjh981
Despite being told many times by various posters on this forum that Club Europe is as successful as ever, I very much doubt that is the case. If, to fill cabins, they have to resort to selling business class tickets at a little over the cost of an economy ticket, as they did with the recent LGW sales, then something is obviously very wrong. I'm sure that they've noticed a shift towards the exit row seats and are trying their very best to 'encourage' their regular customers back to the front of the plane.

One other point, recently airberlin introduced a new seating policy of blocking all seats up to and including the exit rows, but at least their own elite members (not other oneworld Emeralds) can still choose priority seating. Maybe BA have taken it one step further!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
As a very tall Gold (6'5"), this would be a serious enough change to cause me to look elsewhere. Access to the exit row seats isn't just a luxury for me, it's an absolute necessity.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'm starting to wonder what's the point of status if BA continues with its cutting policy.

I really hope this is a IT glitch, it would be nice if someone from BA could have a word on this issue.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I really hope this is a IT glitch, it would be nice if someone from BA could have a word on this issue.
It seems unlikely to me that this is a IT glitch considering that it doesn't affect just one particular aircraft but all shorthaul seating. Longhaul seat maps remain unaffected, suggesting this is a policy change rather than an error.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Buzzz
As a very tall Gold (6'5"), this would be a serious enough change to cause me to look elsewhere. Access to the exit row seats isn't just a luxury for me, it's an absolute necessity.
^+1 I am afraid that I am with you on this one. I used to be able to pay extra to get guaranteed legroom in CE, when BA removed that I downgraded myself to ET to get exit row seats. Unless they can guarantee a seat with legroom then I already look elsewhere.

It is a real shame because I like so many of the other aspects of the BA product .... oh well!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Some
I have several ET return flights to book which I've been holding off doing, very much hoping this isn't an unannounced policy change and I've missed the exit row on all of them! Will certainly make me think twice about using BA for the return leg back to London in particular where lounge access isn't as much of a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.