Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
    Pitifully small credit limit - can I pre-pay?

I've had my PP card for a few weeks now and am already running up against by credit limit. Is it possible to 'overpay' the credit card so it holds a positive balance?

e.g. if my credit limit was £2,000 and I wanted to spend £3,000 could I pay £1,000 into my account before I went shopping? I don't mind paying the bill twice in one month, but I will occasionally need to pay a large hotel bill and want to prepare for it before I travel.

(Supplementary question, how long is it before they allow a review of the credit limit? I assume six months but don't want to jinx it by asking them straight away).
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:02 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    No.

I tried an overpay just before we went to the US last month, as I had bought a bunch of BA booking and wanted max headroom on the account. Online system refused it. Instead I had to reluctantly pay the end of month bill a few days later, from iPad on hotel wifi.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    Are you based in the US?

As far as I know in the UK it can only be done over the phone.
    No phone call required, I live in the midlands. I upgraded my BA Amex blue card last Wednesday to the premium plus card. Logged onto my Amex account and one of the tabs at the top of the webpage says 'card management' under this tab is a link that says apply for a new card. Selected the premium plus card, went through a few pages of details, they did ask for income and employer details. I received an email saying a decision would be made within 10 days if I was eligible. The next day I logged onto my account again and saw the picture of the blue credit card at the top of the screen had changed to a black credit card, with a new card No.

There was no break in using the card, I could still use my blue card online and in shops, then on the Friday my black card arrived in the post. activated it online and have been using it since. Very straight forwards, same PIN and credit limit.

Brian
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by hanmer
    No phone call required, I live in the midlands. I upgraded my BA Amex blue card last Wednesday to the premium plus card. Logged onto my Amex account and one of the tabs at the top of the webpage says something like apply for new card or similar. Selected the premium plus card, went through a few pages of details, they did ask for income and employer details. I received an email saying a decision would be made within 10 days if I was eligible. The next day I logged onto my account again and saw the picture of the blue credit card at the top of the screen had changed to a black credit card, with a new card No.

There was no break in using the card, I could still use my blue card online and in shops, then on the Friday my black card arrived in the post. activated it online and have been using it since. Very straight forwards, same PIN and credit limit.

Brian
    It sounds like the process over the phone is different then.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed with hanmer on all the details ... mine was back in November, so details long forgotten (as what I ate yesterday, wife's birthday, etc)
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    Originally Posted by T8191
    No.

I tried an overpay just before we went to the US last month, as I had bought a bunch of BA booking and wanted max headroom on the account. Online system refused it. Instead I had to reluctantly pay the end of month bill a few days later, from iPad on hotel wifi.
    While I've also been unable to overpay through the Amex site, I don't recall ever having a problem when I pay direct from my bank account.

I actually mistakenly paid my bill twice a few months ago and they both credited to my account. It took Amex several days to refund after I called them to point out my mistake.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by Blueboys999
    While I've also been unable to overpay through the Amex site, I don't recall ever having a problem when I pay direct from my bank account.

I actually mistakenly paid my bill twice a few months ago and they both credited to my account. It took Amex several days to refund after I called them to point out my mistake.
    Credit card generally cannot be 'in credit', so if they decide to, they can send the overpayment promptly back, which may leave you in trouble.

You can easily repay several times during the month, but the single bill over limit is a problem...

NeverFirst, I think asking for credit limit increase is the only sensible option. I would expect they have some space for increase, so I would completely repay current spend and ask.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    Originally Posted by haasha
    Credit card generally cannot be 'in credit', so if they decide to, they can send the overpayment promptly back, which may leave you in trouble.

You can easily repay several times during the month, but the single bill over limit is a problem...
    I fully acknowledge those points but my experience has been that they will accept and rarely return over-payments from bank accounts, particularly when the card has an established pattern of regular purchases and never when they can see card usage yet to hit the account. It has never once happened in my own case.

As it happens, my account currently has a four figure credit (and a negative Avios earned balance) because of a couple of refundable flight cancellations. I will be very surprised if I receive a money refund to my bank account.

That said, I agree that a credit limit increase is probably the way to go for the OP.
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    No.

Easy to do it if you have direct debit set up. Pay off the full bill manually a few days before the direct debit is due and it will still collect the DD as normal. I've only done it a couple of times by mistake but its never been flagged.
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by phol
    Easy to do it if you have direct debit set up. Pay off the full bill manually a few days before the direct debit is due and it will still collect the DD as normal. I've only done it a couple of times by mistake but its never been flagged.
    Exactly how I managed to pay my bill twice although in my case it was simple absent mindedness!
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:15 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by Blueboys999
    As it happens, my account currently has a four figure credit (and a negative Avios earned balance) because of a couple of refundable flight cancellations. I will be very surprised if I receive a money refund to my bank account.
    I've been in a similar position: Because of a BA refund and my current preference for using my Diamond Club Amex, my BA Amex has had a significant four-figure credit balance for the majority of the past year. Amex has made no attempt at all to give me any cash back.
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
    Amex has made no attempt at all to give me any cash back.
    With my other credit cards they wouldn't pay it back proactively, but they were happy to refund any credit balance if you called and asked them (it is your money, after all).
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:51 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol
    I considered DD, but easily talked myself out of it. Amex balance can be anything from £250 to several £k, and can't always guarantee the current account can cope! Last month I paid Amex nearly £9k*, but only after a nifty funds transfer from savings to current a/c

* 241 already received
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    Just to clarify, you have done the upgrade yourself and you were asked all the questions you'd be asked for a new application, including income and occupation. Is that right?
    Sorry for the delay - yes, I did the application myself. I switch between the two cards once I have achieved a 241 and benefit for the refund of the annual fee on the PP.

It does sound like the online process is going to be similar - as you still basically apply for a new card they just transfer the old card once it is approved. I think the chance of a hard credit check may be higher online as no doubt the T&Cs for the online application will allow for one - on the phone at least you can query this in advance during the process.
    Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    With my other credit cards they wouldn't pay it back proactively, but they were happy to refund any credit balance if you called and asked them (it is your money, after all).
    I'm sure Amex would have done the same. But the point is that Amex didn't show any signs of being unhappy about there being a significant credit balance on the account for a long time. They didn't proactively push the credit back to the bank account that I've always used to pay the Amex bills, nor did they get in touch to ask what I wanted to do with it. As far as I can see, they were happy (as was I) to let the credit sit in the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.