Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA1K
i called at 1030am ET yesterday and requested via the automated system. fingers crossed. delivery date 4/4.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by haddon90
i called at 1030am ET yesterday and requested via the automated system. fingers crossed. delivery date 4/4.
no metal love for business plat cards at least our annual fees arent increasing ^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:56 am

I ordered contactless cards last week, still haven't received them, but went ahead and ordered metal cards. I'm a sucker for new, shiny things.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I was just told by a Rep that all who called in yesterday and was told they'd have the cards today will not get them. I said I wanted to cancel my card and was told by the retention department it would be here tomorrow. I really doubt it, but will give them 24 hours.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I guess that I am missing the desperate urgency to get the metal card
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is this only in the US or will it be rolled out internationally?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
requested 3/30 online card replacement option
selected UPS next day ETA 4/1

apparently they added this third shipping option as initially i only saw two
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
Water cooler talk
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
Mine is a replacement card. I don't care what it is made of. I'm leaving on a trip very soon and it was guaranteed to be delivered before I left. Now it's not.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by elkhornne
I was just told by a Rep that all who called in yesterday and was told they'd have the cards today will not get them. I said I wanted to cancel my card and was told by the retention department it would be here tomorrow. I really doubt it, but will give them 24 hours.
EDIT: Nevermind. I see that you wanted to cancel the replacement? Not the actual card account?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by elkhornne
Mine is a replacement card. I don't care what it is made of. I'm leaving on a trip very soon and it was guaranteed to be delivered before I left. Now it's not.
I find AMEX to over-promise on card replacement delivery dates.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:50 pm

I ordered the card online (didn't say metal replacement - I assume because I have contactless). I then called in today because UPS was still waiting for my package from amex (even though delivery is today) and was told I would be getting a Metal Card with contactless and that they have over 200k cards ordered with their capacity only being 30k a day, they anticipate it will take about 2 weeks to fulfill them.

I would be surprised if I got a metal contactless card (but here is hoping)...

Wow, calling from the app was near instant and didn't even require any authentication.

I'm actually really liking the faster pickup and response times for amex now. Loving the app as well.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:54 pm

I applied for Plat and was accepted at 3pm Pacific time yesterday. I'm curious to see how quickly it arrives. By all means I'm not frothing at the mouth to receive it, but I think it's funny that when I applied for my PRG last year at 4pm Pacific time, the card was in my hand at 10:30am the next morning. I understand that there is high demand for the new card and applying the day it was released might delay delivery. I haven't received a shipping email yet. Oh well!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sintaku
...and was told I would be getting a Metal Card with contactless and that they have over 200k cards ordered with their capacity only being 30k a day, they anticipate it will take about 2 weeks to fulfill them.
This thread would you lead to believe nominal interest in a metal card.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sintaku
I would be surprised if I got a metal contactless card (but here is hoping)...
I suspect many CSR's do not know the difference between EMV and Contactless. When asking for a replacement card with Contactless I am careful not to use the word "chip".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.