Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:26 am

Amex Platinum -> Mercedes Platinum?

Hi all,

Looking for guidance from savvy FTers - I have an Amex Platinum card, and I was wondering if it is possible to drop it before its next annual fee cycle, get the Mercedes Benz Platinum card instead, and in so doing receive its 50k sign-up bonus + additional credits, etc?

I know that American Express recently changed some wording about needing to not be a current cardholder for certain things, but I was unable to see if it would apply specifically in this situation; the T&C weren't clear.

If this were possible, there's a question of tactics - keep this card, apply for the new one, then drop the original?

Any help / experience appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by zamburak; Aug 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:52 am

Hmm, good question. The T&C on the MB Plat Card application note: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months." The question is whether the standard Platinum qualifies as "this product". Since the annual fee is different, I think there's definitely an argument to be made that the MB Plat is a different product from the standard Plat.

Theoretically if the MB Plat counts as the same product as the standard Plat, they shouldn't even allow you to sign up for it while you still have the standard Plat.
Safest bet is probably to call and confirm this with a CSR, then go ahead and apply for the MB Plat over the phone.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

zamburak's question has been appended to the established thread discussion the Mercedes card. If I recall correctly, reviewing preceding posts will show that holding a standard Platinum Card is not a barrier to receiving the new account bonus for the Mercedes version. However, be careful not to cancel your "only" American Express card if you have a Membership Rewards balance. You must have an open card account to maintain the rewards account.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I can confirm it's counted as a different product. I got my second bonus just a few days ago.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by User Name
I can confirm it's counted as a different product. I got my second bonus just a few days ago.
Agreed. My husband has both cards.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Finally ready to get the card...and a new Mercedes

I've been waiting a year to get my MB Plat card, spend my $5000, and buy myself a MB. I've read the whole thread, but didn't see these questions answered:

1. If I have a Gold PRG, can I "upgrade" or do I need to apply for the MB Plat?

2. If I can upgrade from my Gold PRG, will I get the 50,000 point bonus?

3. Has anyone used the $1000 certificate to buy a car through the Mercedes European Delivery program (I figure it's a good way to use the 50,000 points, Global Entry and lounge access).

Thanks to all.

xlax
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Is $200 airline credit still offered?

I noticed that there is no mention of the $200 airline incidental credit with the Mercedes Benz Platinum card. I was thinking of applying for this one and getting rid of my current Plat card, but the lack of $200 airline incidentals would make it sort of a wash. Any insight?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by gizmodell
I noticed that there is no mention of the $200 airline incidental credit with the Mercedes Benz Platinum card.
It has it.
All the same features as the regular platinum.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by gizmodell
I noticed that there is no mention of the $200 airline incidental credit with the Mercedes Benz Platinum card. I was thinking of applying for this one and getting rid of my current Plat card, but the lack of $200 airline incidentals would make it sort of a wash. Any insight?
It has the $200 in airline incidentals. I used mine on AA gift cards and was credited back 3 days later.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:13 pm

does amex benz platinum card also have the 200 airline reimburse fee?

thanks
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Yes, I did mine a few weeks ago with Delta and was credited within 24hrs for every charge. I got the EC upgrades, on board food and drinks. No issues whatsoever.
And yes, I am referring to the MB Co-branded Plat Charge. IMO Excellent card for us MB drivers!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:25 pm

can anybody send me a link of a benz biz card?
by the way, i I have had the regular personal platinum card, can i still get the benz personal platinum and the 50k points?

Last edited by flyertea; Oct 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no business version of the Mercedes card. The link in post #1 is still valid.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA
i think the offer is dead
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
yes you can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.