Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AmexCent
Got my card in Oct, just got an email congratulating me about hitting $1000 spend, and 50000 MR points on the way. And when I logged into my account, 50000 MR points are already there.

I cancelled my regular Plat in Sep, and applied for this one in Oct.
If I were to cancel my Personal Platinum now after 20 years and in the last 2 months adding the Gold PRG and the Gold BIZ card and getting the 75K and 100K bonus with a significant calling in SMing etc and waiting 2 months .
Do you think I could apply and get the 50K bonus next month?

I also have a credit balance small ($150) on my Plat would that complicate matters ?

If so is there any way to cancel a Plat card online without calling in and answering questions etc. and should I ask for a partial refund of the $450 fee I paid ?

Can I cancel the Benz card after getting the bonus as I dont think its worth it paying anual fees on 3 Amex cards

I also have 280K MR points in my 3 accounts , is there any risk of clawback etc ?

Thx
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I canceled my regular Plat in the last week of Sep, and waited until Oct 1st to apply for the Benz Plat, to be safe.

I sent a secure message to cancel the card, and then see they credited the remaining of the prorated annual fee to my canceled Plat account. You can ask the credit to be moved to your other charge cards, as long as it does not have a credit balance.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AmexCent
I canceled my regular Plat in the last week of Sep, and waited until Oct 1st to apply for the Benz Plat, to be safe.

I sent a secure message to cancel the card, and then see they credited the remaining of the prorated annual fee to my canceled Plat account. You can ask the credit to be moved to your other charge cards, as long as it does not have a credit balance.
I sent an SM To either honor a promo for 20k miles or cancel my card immediately.that was 7 hours ago and no reply yet .

If I don't get an answer I will call and cancel card in next 3 hours .
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
yes, as they are different cards, have always received the sign on bonuses for Merc plat, personal plat, business plat.....you will get the points
signing up for this now for the travels benefits, then hopefully cancelling sometime next year when a 100k normal plat offer is open to the public. thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:48 pm

1. anyone know whats the highest bonus offer they've ever had on the mercedes platinum? going to apply now for the $200 airline credit this year, but was just wondering for other applicants.

2. is this the only "official" amex platinum card available in the US that is cobranded and thus "different" in terms of MR bonuses?

Last edited by drsaith; Nov 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I haven't seen a higher offer for Mercedes Platinum.

There is an Ameriprise co-branded Platinum. No signup bonus but the 1st year annual fee is waived. Also you get 5K points bonus for each $20K spent (25% bonus).

http://banking-credit.ameriprise.com...s-platinum.asp

Originally Posted by drsaith
1. anyone know whats the highest bonus offer they've ever had on the mercedes platinum? going to apply now for the $200 airline credit this year, but was just wondering for other applicants.

2. is this the only "official" amex platinum card available in the US that is cobranded and thus "different" in terms of MR bonuses?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by leonard016

There is an Ameriprise co-branded Platinum. No signup bonus but the 1st year annual fee is waived. Also you get 5K points bonus for each $20K spent (25% bonus).

http://banking-credit.ameriprise.com...s-platinum.asp
thanks for the info, also great blog, very comprehensive.

do you know if applying for the ameriprise plat excludes you from direct-from-amex plat bonuses in the future? would jump on that ameriprise offer since the benz plat is new, so long potential for a better offer, but if taking that excludes me from future bonuses would go for the benz instead.

also, anyone have both the amex plat & benz plat? if you had 4 cards on each ($625 & $650/year), could you get $800 on each a year in airline credits?

Last edited by drsaith; Nov 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:29 pm

thanks for the info, also great blog, very comprehensive.

do you know if applying for the ameriprise plat excludes you from direct-from-amex plat bonuses in the future? would jump on that ameriprise offer since the benz plat is new, so long potential for a better offer, but if taking that excludes me from future bonuses would go for the benz instead.

also, anyone have both the amex plat & benz plat? if you had 4 cards on each ($625 & $650/year), could you get $800 on each a year in airline credits?
The $200 airline credit is for the primary cardholder only, so if you had the Platinum and the MB Platinum you would get a max of $400 back each year.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Considering the fact that the MB Platinum card has only been around for a month or two, this isn't all that surprising. I would imagine that if higher bonuses are or will be available, they will be by invitation only, just like they are on the non-MB AMEX Platinum card.

The annual fee for AU's is also waived for the first year.

The official qualification criteria for the Ameriprise AMEX Platinum is having $1MM in assets with Ameriprise.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:16 am

You get one $200/year reimbursement on each card regardless of the number of authorized users that you've added.

In other words, if you have a Plat card and have added 3 AU's, all 4 of you have the same $200 to share among you.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is a simple arithmetic problem. You need to assign a value to the points, based on the way you redeem them. I assign $0.0225 because I redeem for transatlantic business class tickets, which makes the breakeven point $1,408. If you redeem for giftcards at $0.01 each the breakeven point would be $3,167.

If you assign a low value to Membership Rewards points you can do better with another card, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...purchases.html
I realize that this post is a few months old but I thought I'd mention that while the conceptual explanation is spot on, the calculations themselves are a bit more nuanced. Would you have paid that much for a transatlantic business class ticket if you weren't redeeming miles for them? In your case, it sounds like the answer is "yes," as the $0.0225 valuation is quite reasonable. At the same time, if the answer is "no," then people should not be performing the calculation based on the value of the benefit that they'd otherwise never pay for. Instead, the calculation should be performed based on the value that they would be willing to pay for it.

It goes without saying that the value of miles that you would've earned but for the fact that it's an award ticket needs to be accounted for as well. In other words, if your MR points get redeemed for a ticket that would've cost you $1,000, you need to subtract the value of the miles and other benefits that you would've earned on that ticket if you had purchased it instead from that $1,000, which will reduce the value that you'd assign to your MR points.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:08 am

Value of miles

You are right that when assessing value of miles it should be based on how much you would like to pay rather than the face value of the tickets. I think mia gave $0.0225 he did mean that he would like to pay that much - does not suggest everyone should.

It has been discussed many times. The accurate formula to determine value of miles shall be:

(value of ticket you want to pay - taxes, fees and charges for redeeming miles - credit card rewards if you pay cash for the ticket) / (miles redeemed + miles you will earn if you pay cash)

Let me know if I miss something.

Originally Posted by am1996
I realize that this post is a few months old but I thought I'd mention that while the conceptual explanation is spot on, the calculations themselves are a bit more nuanced. Would you have paid that much for a transatlantic business class ticket if you weren't redeeming miles for them? In your case, it sounds like the answer is "yes," as the $0.0225 valuation is quite reasonable. At the same time, if the answer is "no," then people should not be performing the calculation based on the value of the benefit that they'd otherwise never pay for. Instead, the calculation should be performed based on the value that they would be willing to pay for it.

It goes without saying that the value of miles that you would've earned but for the fact that it's an award ticket needs to be accounted for as well. In other words, if your MR points get redeemed for a ticket that would've cost you $1,000, you need to subtract the value of the miles and other benefits that you would've earned on that ticket if you had purchased it instead from that $1,000, which will reduce the value that you'd assign to your MR points.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:10 am

Have any of you who have received the $100 certificate tried to apply it towards the cost of services rather than accessories?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:17 am

You are right that when assessing value of miles it should be based on how much you would like to pay rather than the face value of the tickets. I think mia gave $0.0225 he did mean that he would like to pay that much - does not suggest everyone should.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with this. I wasn't disagreeing with anything that Mia said. I just wanted to clarify his/her post.

It has been discussed many times. The accurate formula to determine value of miles shall be:

(value of ticket you want to pay - taxes, fees and charges for redeeming miles - credit card rewards if you pay cash for the ticket) / (miles redeemed + miles you will earn if you pay cash)

Let me know if I miss something.
No, I think that's exactly right. The only pretty self-evident caveat that I would add is that you also have to also factor in various additional benefits that may be more difficult to quantify. For instance, if the miles would've allowed you to cross over the next elite threshold, that needs to be accounted for. Likewise, if you have spending reward thresholds on your credit card, that needs to be factored in.

Last edited by am1996; Dec 8, 2011 at 9:38 am Reason: typos
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by am1996
The only pretty self-evident caveat that I would add is that you only have to also factor in various additional benefits that may be more difficult to quantify. For instance, if the miles would've allowed you to cross over the next elite threshold, that needs to be accounted for. Likewise, if you have spending reward thresholds on your credit card, that needs to be factored in.
I agree 100%. I think I will revise the formula to:

(value of ticket you want to pay - taxes, fees and charges for redeeming miles - value of both RDMs and EQMs you will earn if paying cash - credit card rewards if paying cash - value of other benefits you lose) / (miles redeemed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.