Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Member

This would appear to be where part of the old FS lounge was located. It looks like it is behind the agents when you come off the elevator.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by petey2428
American just introduced their flagship dining menu last night at some event space in NYC (check out their instagram stories). They also have a website on it. https://exploreamerican.com/flagshipfirstdining/

I don't know if this is a new website or what, but I just saw it for the first time today.
Did the lead pic have to be a lentil cake?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
So let me get this straight, as an EXP, flying internationally out of JFK in Y or J, I will be denied entry to a presumably sub-par(unless proven otherwise) "Flagship Dining" experience. Yet flying from or through LAX, HKG or SYD, I can continue to enjoy better lounges and better food for free? Did I get that right AA? Care to explain this? Have you been to The Pier or the QF F lounges in LAX or SYD? You know all EXPs are welcome there right? #YetAnotherEXPdeval
Old May 11, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
This would appear to be where part of the old FS lounge was located. It looks like it is behind the agents when you come off the elevator.
It is the old FL space, well, a portion of it, assuming the rendering is dimensionally accurate. The remainder of the space is no doubt being used for the new Admirals Club space which makes sense given the old AC space was swallowed up by the main area of the new FL.

The entrance into this appears to be from the FL itself as you can see a podium for checking eligibility in the rendering.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
So let me get this straight, as an EXP, flying internationally out of JFK in Y or J, I will be denied entry to a presumably sub-par(unless proven otherwise) "Flagship Dining" experience. Yet flying from or through LAX, HKG or SYD, I can continue to enjoy better lounges and better food for free? Did I get that right AA? Care to explain this? Have you been to The Pier or the QF F lounges in LAX or SYD? You know all EXPs are welcome there right? #YetAnotherEXPdeval
As an EXP you're not welcome to the CCR or dining at JFK or LHR either. They're setting up something similar to BA - you have to be flying F to access that piece. You still get access to the rest of the upgraded lounge. I don't view this as a deval given we never even had it to begin with in AA hub lounges.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lds89
As an EXP you're not welcome to the CCR or dining at JFK or LHR either. They're setting up something similar to BA - you have to be flying F to access that piece. You still get access to the rest of the upgraded lounge. I don't view this as a deval given we never even had it to begin with in AA hub lounges.
I'm aware, hence why I left them out, plus BA is not a good example for AA to be modeling their lounges after. T7 is a dump and the CCR in LHR are separate dedicated lounges if I'm not mistaken? (vs lounge within a lounge) And I don't see others raving about the CCR in general.
My point is, AA should have looked at QF or CX instead.
True, can't take away something you never had, but they had an opportunity to improve or match their OW partners. Sure, we'll give you table service dining (but only if you fly F!!). So no deval, how about more of a slap to the face then?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
So no deval, how about more of a slap to the face then?
The devaluation will come when they allow J pax into the Flagship Lounge and you won't be able to find a seat a peak times.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I'm aware, hence why I left them out, plus BA is not a good example for AA to be modeling their lounges after. T7 is a dump and the CCR in LHR are separate dedicated lounges if I'm not mistaken? (vs lounge within a lounge) And I don't see others raving about the CCR in general.
My point is, AA should have looked at QF or CX instead.
True, can't take away something you never had, but they had an opportunity to improve or match their OW partners. Sure, we'll give you table service dining (but only if you fly F!!). So no deval, how about more of a slap to the face then?
At IAD, BA's F Dining is a lounge-within-a-lounge. They merged the lounges for business and first, but kept a private dining room (and technically a tiny "bar" area) dedicated to F with table service. From the start of this plan, BA's IAD lounge is what AA's announcement reminded me of exactly.

I've dined there, it seems to work pretty well for BA.

Granted, I'm not EXP this year, but I don't feel like this should be a slap in the face to anyone, but YMMV. AA seems to be borrowing ideas from different partners in different areas, and BA's premium lounge model is probably more realistic to BA and AA's financial and competitive realities.

Coveting access to the one tiny corner you don't have access to doesn't always work out like you imagine, either. Anyone remember Frasier's Door Jam episode?
Old May 11, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
At IAD, BA's F Dining is a lounge-within-a-lounge. They merged the lounges for business and first, but kept a private dining room (and technically a tiny "bar" area) dedicated to F with table service. From the start of this plan, BA's IAD lounge is what AA's announcement reminded me of exactly.

I've dined there, it seems to work pretty well for BA.
This sounds a lot like the BA Lounge in YYZ. There is a J side and an F side to the lounge, and both parts have their respective pre-flight dining areas. The J/Club dining area is a buffet with some cooked-to-order options, and the F dining area is table service.

You need to be flying in J or F to access the respective dining area. Status won't help you (unless there is a friendly dragon willing to bend the rules).

It's not fun when you're flying in Y or Premium Economy, but it seems to work for BA and their premium pax on the route. IMHO, I bet it helps keep quality up. At least the bar in the F lounge isn't sealed off...
Old May 11, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Where does it say EXP in Y/W won't get FS Dining access?
Old May 11, 2017, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where does it say EXP in Y/W won't get FS Dining access?
On AA.com
Old May 11, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
On AA.com
So we get it now, but not in the future? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ss-lounges.jsp

Seems to indicate otherwise. Note the section about dining at DFW. Is there somewhere else that EXP are listed as specifically excluded?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:40 pm
Suspended

So we get it now, but not in the future? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
The current thing is "Flagship Dining" and is quite limited.

Coming, is "Flagship First Dining" and it's for first class (on applicable flights) passengers.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:41 pm
Suspended

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ss-lounges.jsp

Seems to indicate otherwise. Note the section about dining at DFW. Is there somewhere else that EXP are listed as specifically excluded?
That page is of no relevance.

this page has the new system:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp

Last edited by JonNYC; May 11, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.