Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
This truly sounds to me like a rebranding of the Admirals Clubs in cities with significant amounts of international service to Flagship Lounges, and really not an expansion of access to the current lounges.

Recently, all of the current Flagship Lounge locations have been rebranded as "International First Class lounge" including the locations at ORD, LHR, and more. I don't think this rebranding would have happened if they were going to be renamed back.

I'm not worried about the actual first class lounges (or sections of lounges) filling up; if anything I'm excited to see a better product in these cities which can compete. Today, why would anyone with status use the Admirals Club or (formerly named) Flagship Lounge at LHR, when there are actual nice lounges right next door from CX and BA? I'm sure AA would rather keep the money it has to pay to CX and BA when its customers use that access, and it also funds the upgrades.

I think this also lines up with the elimination of Citi Prestige access to the lounges, as AA wants real money to fund upgrades.

I don't think we'll see outstations rebranded to Flagship Lounge anytime soon.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Global321

it pushes more of us to become free agents and buy business as needed and fly other airlines when cheaper.
Pretty sure we hit that point quite a while ago.

~TG
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
It seems like this is a good thing IMO.

At JFK for example, you will have a Flagship Lounge for: AA and oneworld upper-tier Elites traveling (longhaul) international in any cabin and those actually flying longhaul international in Business or First. Often times, these are one-in-the-same. And Flagship Dining is reserved for those in First only, regardless of status.

Everyone else flying out of JFK (domestic or international) goes to the Admiral's Club: Club Members and Executive card holders on domestic flights or those flying MCE or coach international.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
This truly sounds to me like a rebranding of the Admirals Clubs in cities with significant amounts of international service to Flagship Lounges, and really not an expansion of access to the current lounges.

Recently, all of the current Flagship Lounge locations have been rebranded as "International First Class lounge" including the locations at ORD, LHR, and more. I don't think this rebranding would have happened if they were going to be renamed back.

I'm not worried about the actual first class lounges (or sections of lounges) filling up; if anything I'm excited to see a better product in these cities which can compete. Today, why would anyone with status use the Admirals Club or (formerly named) Flagship Lounge at LHR, when there are actual nice lounges right next door from CX and BA? I'm sure AA would rather keep the money it has to pay to CX and BA when its customers use that access, and it also funds the upgrades.

I think this also lines up with the elimination of Citi Prestige access to the lounges, as AA wants real money to fund upgrades.

I don't think we'll see outstations rebranded to Flagship Lounge anytime soon.
The First Class Lounge branding was announced as temporary, and they will indeed be rebranded back.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's definitely a devaluation for EXP/Emerald in terms of exclusivity. One would hope that Emeralds would get access to Flagship Dining, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Now EXP's are just lumped in with Platinum/Platinum Pro/Sapphire. At least LAX has the Qantas First lounge to kind of make up for it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Any news/thoughts as to what the CK benefits will be here?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
The First Class Lounge branding was announced as temporary, and they will indeed be rebranded back.
Alright, if that is happening then perhaps this is a devaluation for Emerald/F solely in that it means perhaps crowding due to sharing with Sapphire/J.

Honestly, I don't really think this will be a real downgrade, as the current lounges are really hard to call First Class lounges. The food can be alright, but they don't really compare at all to locations like The Pier at HKG. I've definitely been in many business class lounges which are better than the current ones, so an improvement in quality is fine with me.

If they turn out to be terrible, it won't bother me that much as the only Flagship Lounge I ever really visit is the one at ORD, and it's very mediocre. I'd rather pay for real dining at the Publican there.

At LHR and LAX, just use the CX and QF lounges, they are much nicer.

Hopefully oneworld access rules stay the same though!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by travelgeek1197
Pretty sure we hit that point quite a while ago.

~TG
Just one more data point. I will requalify for EXP this year, but another reason to not worry if I do not.

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
...Honestly, I don't really think this will be a real downgrade, as the current lounges are really hard to call First Class lounges. ...
To be fair, the new JFK FC lounge is pretty nice. And when the rest rollout with FC dining, they are in the game. No, it is not, and will not be, CX FC Hong Kong or BA FC LHR, but, it is pretty darn good. And it 100% beats BA FC ORD and JFK by a lot. So no, not the top tier, but congrats to AA to at least get in the conversation.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
I will miss the small size and quiet and seclusion of the ORD K-19 Flagship Lounge -- I wish more OW airlines departed from T3 so there could be a justification to keep a true First Class/OWE lounge at that location after the Flagship lounge moves to the main H/K complex and becomes more or less a OW J lounge (service and amenity wise this will probably be an improvement but I'm betting it will be crowded). I don't think the JAL flights from T3 would be enough to justify an F lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by schertz
I will miss the small size and quiet and seclusion of the ORD K-19 Flagship Lounge.
Totally agree. While the food offerings could use a slight improvement, IME it's home to some of the friendliest and best agents in the system. It's hard to imagine that the new FL will be anywhere near as quiet.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Agree with this.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Experienced Flagship Dining in DFW this week for first time - nothing special. At all.

The food in regular AC in CDG was WAY better.

Of all the the EXP benefits being shrunk, I'll cue loss of FD as the least important.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Experienced Flagship Dining in DFW this week for first time - nothing special. At all.

The food in regular AC in CDG was WAY better.

Of all the the EXP benefits being shrunk, I'll cue loss of FD as the least important.
The DFW "Flagship Dining" is not a real one. It is temporary set up until a proper one is built and I think they actually call it International First Dining or something like that.

The first proper Flagship Dining is supposed to open its door at JFK sometime mid year.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by geo1005
It seems like this is a good thing IMO.

... And Flagship Dining is reserved for those in First only, regardless of status.
While travelling in F regardless of status does get you access, EXP's travelling Int'l can also access Flagship Dining, regardless of cabin flown...

- An AAdvantage Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by msv777
While travelling in F regardless of status does get you access, EXP's travelling Int'l can also access Flagship Dining, regardless of cabin flown...

- An AAdvantage Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

Cheers.
Not quite correct... Only those in F will have access.

The current DFW one is not a real one, so don't presume the access rules will be the same. The official access policy for the new Flagship Dining program coming in Spring is this:

"First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining."

No EXPs or OWEs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.