Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You're really suggesting that the Flagship First Dining (per early reports on FT at least) is bad for Int'l FC passengers vs. what was previously available?

For OW emeralds, I guess, but I don't really care.
The fact of the matter is that AA has dramatically cut back its int'l FC service, so it doesn't really make sense to have a separate FC lounge network. The enhanced FL strategy with a smaller FFD offering probably makes them more competitive for paid premium fares.

And on another note, if you're a OWE flying, say, AY or RJ, you don't get a FC lounge either. And arguably AA's FL is better than BA's FCL, right? (Maybe not in LHR?)
Never mentioned FFD. However, I would bet most, if not all FC passengers would give up FFD to have a quieter more personal lounge. I would.

AY has a lounge dedicated to their elites and Emeralds. BA, CX, JL etc all have FC/Emerald lounges.

As I said before - if you are flying Business Class/Saphire/Plat Pro/Plat, this is a better deal. If you are flying FC/Emerald, this is a terrible deal.

I fly 150K+/15k+ a year on OW as EP. With these changes, I don't see a need to concentrate my spend/flights on AA in the future. Maybe I get EP, maybe not. With 1/2 the spend, I get basically the same benefits and can save money and be an opportunistic business/FC flyer.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by justforfun
Flagship First Dining is amazing. No one can argue with that. But it is not a lounge. When you're done eating, you're meant to go into the Flagship Lounge. But you won't find a seat because it's now a complete zoo. Hardly a premium experience.
Is it possible to just stay in the Flagship First Dining area after your meal or to just sit at the small bar (honest question here)?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Is it possible to just stay in the Flagship First Dining area after your meal or to just sit at the small bar (honest question here)?
I personally don't see why not.

FWIW, this is a similar concept to that of BA at IAD. They have a business lounge with Concorde dining for F customers. From my experience they pace the dining so as to have you occupy the Concorde dining area until boarding is called for your flight. I doubt AA will do this, but there is no reason one couldn't hang out there; after all that is for whom the FFD area and bar are provided.

Next month I'm flying DCA-JFK-HKG and will see what it's like. My DCA-JFK flight gets in at 7:22 and I plan to take advantage of FFD if they still allow CX F to use it. I'll probably get there a bit before 8:00 and hopefully have a leisurely dinner ending around 9:10 or later, with only the GRU and LHR AA flights remaining. My flight is not until 1:35 AM, so I am very happy that they now keep the lounge open until 1:00 which they obviously do for the CX flight since the last international AA flights depart at 10:25.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Global321
With these changes, I don't see a need to concentrate my spend/flights on AA in the future. Maybe I get EP, maybe not. With 1/2 the spend, I get basically the same benefits and can save money and be an opportunistic business/FC flyer.
Seems like an over-reaction to me. Of all the changes made, this one is minor IMO.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Seems like an over-reaction to me. Of all the changes made, this one is minor IMO.
Not really an overreaction for me. I fly mostly international, connecting in JFK/ORD/MIA to my international flight. I tend to want 3+ hours before my international connection to ensure no problems with IRROPS. So I tend to work/relax in the lounge. I liked the quiet FC/FL, but times change. And I am not anti-AA at all. New lounges look great. But, before I would fly AA/OW even if the price/connection was not the best. Now, like many, I choose the best option. Last year, I was well over 200k with big spend. This year, I am already well over 100k and $12k, but may or may not hit 150k with OW. That spend has gone to competing airlines/alliances when the price was better.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm at the JFK FL now. I'm only flying JFK-SJU.....didn't think that would qualify for access, did I just get lucky? Or was it because I am in "Business"? It's very busy here but was able to find a decent seat with power.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Bloody Mary bar during the day gets swapped out for something I'm new to: Austin Cocktails pre-mixed ruby red drinks.....kind of like a pre-mixed Skinny Girl drink it looks like.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm at the JFK FL now. I'm only flying JFK-SJU.....didn't think that would qualify for access, did I just get lucky? Or was it because I am in "Business"? It's very busy here but was able to find a decent seat with power.
You lucked out. Congratulations!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:21 pm

Flagship Check-in / Flagship Lounge

The exclusivity of Flagship is gone. I traveled through JFK this week as a CK and it seems AA has changed their entry policy and now there are lines and the lounge is packed. For the first time all three counters were busy and there was a line - to make it tougher they took out the self-service check-in machines so I had wait. The new Flagship lounge was packed with limited seats available - I think the Admirals Club was nicer with fewer people.

Why did they open it up to a new group of passengers
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by MikeTucson
The exclusivity of Flagship is gone. I traveled through JFK this week as a CK and it seems AA has changed their entry policy and now there are lines and the lounge is packed. For the first time all three counters were busy and there was a line - to make it tougher they took out the self-service check-in machines so I had wait. The new Flagship lounge was packed with limited seats available - I think the Admirals Club was nicer with fewer people.

I wonder if the AC side is quieter?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:56 am

I thought the answer was in your original post. Any CK can use the lounge now even on short domestic.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
I thought the answer was in your original post. Any CK can use the lounge now even on short domestic.
That's cute but definitely not the reason.

Discussion of this new entry policy here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2017-a.html
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by MikeTucson

100% agree with you. Horrid idea. Even if they allowed in business's class passengers on AA and all OWE but changed all OWS and other OW airlines business's and first passengers to AC access would be a massive improvement. My anecdotal sense is that allowing all OWS and OW business passengers in overwhelms the lounge capacity. Keeping it to AA business abandoned first only and OWE seems a good compromise. Isn't it really about AA wanting to attract business and (almthoygh limited to a few routes first class) passengers? It is so heaving and a madhouse at JFK I now just go to AC. Really poor show AA.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
What AA should have done is upgraded the AC at airports which also have Flagship Lounges and called the Flagship lounge the First Class lounge (like they do at LHR).

Those AC's would serve buffet food like other International J lounges in OneWorld.

Most AC would be standard AC as they don't serve international or F class.

Like LHR, AA should be:
1. AC (or Business Lounge) - buffet food for J passengers and Sapphire and paid AC.
2. Flagship (or First Lounge) - both buffet and menu order - like other OneWorld F lounges. For OneWorld F and Emerald.
3. Separate seating section in Flagship for true F - like Concorde.

If an Emerald flies a domestic Europe or domestic UK flight from LHR - they get BA First lounge.

Most people in the BA LHR First Lounge are Emerald.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
What AA should have done is upgraded the AC at airports which also have Flagship Lounges and called the Flagship lounge the First Class lounge (like they do at LHR).

Those AC's would serve buffet food like other International J lounges in OneWorld.

Most AC would be standard AC as they don't serve international or F class.

Like LHR, AA should be:
1. AC (or Business Lounge) - buffet food for J passengers and Sapphire and paid AC.
2. Flagship (or First Lounge) - both buffet and menu order - like other OneWorld F lounges. For OneWorld F and Emerald.
3. Separate seating section in Flagship for true F - like Concorde.

If an Emerald flies a domestic Europe or domestic UK flight from LHR - they get BA First lounge.

Most people in the BA LHR First Lounge are Emerald.
They should have done that but at minimum they could have just made the bars and the food menu in the JFK ACs complimentary for all sapphires and business class travelers on intl/transcon flights.

I wonder how long is the current .... show going to last before AA reconsider the admission policy for a lounge that should be Emerald and First class only. I am certainly going to write a scathing letter to AA about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.